Waeco CF80 power rectifier unit

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Waeco CF80 power rectifier unit

Postby pander » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:20 pm

Hi folks, I have a Waeco CF80 fridge/freezer which as the electric rectifier unit which the unit is plugged into. This seems to be now no longer a requirement for the new fridges which is a good thing. My unit seems to have blown again and this happened when plugged into 240V at home. Obviously it now no longer operates. I have checked the fuse which is all ok.
Does anyone have any ideas? Is there another type of unit that might be considered as a replacement?

Regards Pander
pander

Re: Waeco CF80 power rectifier unit

Postby Jo&Kev » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:16 pm

Hi Pander,

Assuming it is a fairly bog standard 240V-12V rectifier you should be able to source an after market replacement. Ultimately all a rectifier does is convert AC power to DC power. You would probably need to check that the replacement one was rated for the current draw of the fridge.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby pander » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:24 pm

Thanks Kev I did think as much but hadn't got around to actually looking at any particular item. My mate Al purchased another unit but it didn't last a trip to Darwin before expiring so obviously it was simply underrated for the job.

I appreciate your feedback.

Cheers

Pander
pander

Postby Komodo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:51 pm

The waeco CF-80 draws 7.5 amps when plugged into a 12V (nominal) power source. I would suggest looking for a 12V (mines 13.2V) power supply with about 10 amps available juice or about 130 watts.
The Waeco branded unit seems a bit crappy and I've heard of several dieing. I paid $80 inc shipping for mine on flee bay I run my CF 80 all the time as a beer fridge and I also occasionally plug in things like my camp lights to charge them up before a trip into it. One thing is that you have to supply your own hella / cigar style outlet as it only comes with screw down bannan plug type sockets.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Gear Guide