Dog Peed on our tent!!!

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Dog Peed on our tent!!!

Postby Woodsy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:36 am

I put the tent up this morning to measure up for the netting on the front of it. We have a new neighbour across the road which lets there 2 dogs roam the streets all day. They are a pain in the bum!! My gf saw them in our front yard and i went out the front to check the tent and they have peed on it!!!! How can i clean it off?....

Bloody Dogs.....

Josh
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Re: Dog Peed on our tent!!!

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:45 pm

Vinegar (white) is the best thing for it. I have had the same thing happen to me when out camping one time and I used vinegar.

....and i'd be having words with the owner as well. It is not bloody dogs.....it is bloody owners!!!!!!!

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby AussieSunset » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:56 pm

gypsylady wrote:

...and i'd be having words with the owner as well. It is not bloody dogs.....it is bloody owners!!!!!!!

Well said GL.

I'd be very unhappy to if that happened to me and i have a dog too. I too would have a good word to them also.
Life is what happens when you've made other plans. :)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:41 pm

AussieSunset wrote:
gypsylady wrote:

...and i'd be having words with the owner as well. It is not bloody dogs.....it is bloody owners!!!!!!!

Well said GL.

I'd be very unhappy to if that happened to me and i have a dog too. I too would have a good word to them also.

When I spoke to the owner of the dog in my situation he could not understand why I would be upset!! After all it is what male dogs do.....was his comment....

He was actually standing there with the dog on a lead and still allowed it to happen.

Had another fellow come to visit on another occasion and his dog dropped its bum in the middle of my camp to empty out.......fortunately he realised and managed to drag the dog out in time.

Like you AS I am a passionate dog owner and NEVER would I allow such behaviour and I get really peeved when I see other dog owners not being repsonsible for their canine family.

People like that spoil it for all of us who are diligent in such matters.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Woodsy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:55 pm

The dogs seem a little aggressive too. Always having a go at our dog behind the fence.

Speaking of misbehaving dogs. We take ours to the Dog section of our local beach and there was a little boy building a big sand castle. So our dog decided he better pee on it!

I will give the White Vinegar a go.

Cheers

Josh
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:16 pm

TUFF wrote:
So our dog decided he better pee on it!

Cheers

Josh

Josh, I do hope the little boy was not still building/playing with the sand castle.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:26 pm

TUFF wrote:The dogs seem a little aggressive too. Always having a go at our dog behind the fence.

Cheers

Josh

That will be a territorial thing and probably acting up because of a false sense of security.

Put him on neutral ground and he would quite possibly run for cover if you dog barked at him.

Things that cause this sort of behaviour are areas that the dog feel belong (possessiveness) to him; his car, his yard, his side or the fence, his family even his lead will often bring about this false sense of security. Remove it and they are seldom aggressive.

Often this aggressiveness come from fear, the fear of being threatened in some way…..hence the term ‘fear biter’.

It is usually a 'male' thing, seldom seems to happen with bitches (and I do mean female dogs here).

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Woodsy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:32 am

Yeah the little boy stopped playing with his castle lol
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Little Kopit » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:58 am

It doesn't matter what kind of vinegar it is. Often as not, it's cider vinegar that I have on hand.

I have a funny tale as to how my dog who rides in the cab of the truck let go, really let go. & it was all my fault. I had a gallon of cider vinegar and that's what I put on the seat. Then drove around with the windows open for 4 or 5 days. Fortunately, it was dry and not toooooooooo far into fall.

Re. territory, you can train those dogs, but dogs aren't cats, they can be trained. You can speak most strongly to neighbors. I have neighbors who insist their dogs won't go unless they are free, but we have a lot of woods etc around. & another neighbor was worried for the one who does the most wondering because he set coyote traps last winter. I'm new, so in this case I see it as me to do the teaching and try to get along.

& I have two dogs. One quite dominant. This neighbors dogs don't try to tease mine. Clearly mine, have told those others, no, our rules on our space.

:)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006
Little Kopit
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:58 am

TUFF wrote:Yeah the little boy stopped playing with his castle lol

Before or after the dog visit???
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:00 am

Little Kopit wrote:Re. territory, you can train those dogs,

Yes you can train the dogs but it is the owners who need to also be trained!!
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Little Kopit » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:41 am

GL, one reason, I'm very very very very very very careful about when I let my dogs free is that my father would never ever confine a dog. I can't remember ever having had a reasoned statement as to why.

Of course, I know full well that a free dog has a short life.

However, I have now moved to the province where my father grew up. There is more than one household with this outlook about free dogs.

There is no 'roaming dogs' bylaw. & there is more. Stuff which is taboo here that was normal in Newfoundland or Nova Scotia, where I lived 30 years ago.

So, I may agree with you 100%, but I know I'd get just about as far with any objections to 'roaming dogs' here as I would trying to persuade Australia's National Parks that pets can safely be taken into/through National Parks without endangering the wildlife in those parks.

But again I agree with you.

:)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006
Little Kopit
Camping Veteran

Postby Woodsy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:11 am

After he peed on it.

This area of the beach is for Dogs off leash.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:35 pm

That is a bit sad....the point I was concerned about was the fact that the dog did not recognise that there was a person in this case a child near and the dog peed anyhow.....not that the dog was on a dog friendly beach and had a right to pee anywhere!!

Did someone tell the little boy he was not allowed to build a sand castle on the beach or what the consequences might be if he did??

My pet hate is dogs peeing on my car/camper wheels…yes every dog does it or so I am told, but it does not mean that it is right or nice for that matter.

It is past now and I hope the little boy was not distressed by the event.

Maybe it was the universe getting one back on you this time Josh.

Cheers....

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Woodsy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:12 pm

He normally gets in trouble when he does something he shouldn't of done. But when he is in the middle of playing with other dogs if i went mad at him he would of had no idea what it was for.

I am not angry that the dog peed. I am Angry that he chose to do it on my tent.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations