Birdsville Races 4th & 5th Sept 2009

Community groups, clubs etc. tell us about yourselves, who can join, activities, post notices and events.

Moderator: amanda

Birdsville Races 4th & 5th Sept 2009

Postby AussieSunset » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:26 pm

My sister, brother-in-law and I are going out to the Birdsville Races this year. http://www.birdsvilleraces.com/home.html
It will be our first time to go there. Towing a small caravan for my sister and brother-in-law, I'm just going to camp in the back of the van. We will more than likely leave a few days before as according to the site the caravan park is first in first serve during that week. We're hoping to get in there as my sister has a prosthesis leg and wont hack camping on the banks of the Diamantina River very well. We're taking my sisters dog a poodle but I'm leaving my girl Phoebe home on this trip.
Any recommendation for any places to stay on the way out there (coming from Brisbane) as we will take a couple of days to get there or any other recommendations ie roads, places to see and do.
I'm so looking forward to this trip.
Life is what happens when you've made other plans. :)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Re: Birdsville Races 4th & 5th Sept 2009

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:52 pm

Yes AS, Mitchell at the CP on the left before the bridge (only there a few weeks ago and have forgotten the name already, think it is the Major Mitchell) and the artesian spa there is a must. Fantastic bakery there also with great bread, bun loaf and cream/custard puffs.

Also the little CP in Windorah is a great little stopover with all amenities as well.

Both Mitchell and Windorah are reasonably priced.

The Cobb & Co at Charleville is also well priced if you want a stopover, the owner's name is Duke and he is extremely helpful and friendly.

If you are leaving for B'ville only a few days before I doubt you will get a site. I would be ringing ahead and explaining your situation and you should be able to get a booking.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby AussieSunset » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:14 pm

Thanks GL, Yeah was thinking mite ring ahead and see if we could book a site seeing as my sister needs certain amenities. Thank for all those places to stay. I gather they are dog friendly too so i will add them on the list for sure. I'm thinking we will have to leave quite a few days before hand.

Cheers
Heather :grin:
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:41 pm

Yes AS definitely pet friendly....no other sort for me.

I would absolutely be ringing ahead to the CP in B'ville as you sister does have very specific needs. If you have any problems, let me know as I might be able to locate a contact for you.

In B'ville, have a look at the Working Museum too, well worth the 10 bucks and John is a real character. He has 2 of the biggest donkeys I have ever seen, 17 hands I think he said they were. He has them especially bred for a particular purpose.

Go for a drive out to Pelican Point and the old Diamantina crossing....that's where you'll see most of the bird life.

Be prepared for everything to be super expensive, bread was $5.00 per loaf (pies $5 each and pretty ordinary) and everything will all go up in price at race time. There is no supermarket, just the local garage for limited groceries and the fuel station opposite the pub usually has the cheapest fuel.

If I think of anything more I'll post and let you know, you still have a little time yet.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:51 pm

More info....I forgot to mention that the B'ville races are only the start of it. It is called the Simpson Desert Racing Carnival. They have 3 events in all, commencing with Birdsville followed by Bedourie on the second weekend and Beetoota on the third weekend...so keep that in mind also when planning your adventure.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby AussieSunset » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:31 am

Thanks again for the heads up GL. $5 for bread ::() lucky we will be taking everything with us as i know from when we were traveling before that when you go to places out of the way, they tend to take advantage and everything is like triple the price. As for fuel we run on oil and only a very little diesel and no doubt my bro in law will have plenty on board for the trip...he'd have a heart attack if he had to pay top price for fuel since he's been running around for nothing for years lol. I can just see him now if he had to pull up at a pump ::() :***
We will only be going to Birdsville and back and not the the other races as i can't be away too long unfortunately.

Love this site will be wearing my camping.com.au hat and put the sticker on too :grin:
:cheers
Heather :grin:
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:46 am

Diesel in B'ville was $1.43 when I was there in late May early June and the dearest I paid for a loaf of bread on my trip was $5.50 at Oodnadatta. The bread in Oodna was trucked in once a week whereas the bread in B'ville is made on site in the local bakery.

So overall how long will you be tripping for AS??

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby TBF » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:14 pm

gypsylady wrote:Diesel in B'ville was $1.43 when I was there in late May early June

That was before Captain Bligh removed the approx 9 cent subsidy..

Aart
TBF
Camping Veteran

Postby AussieSunset » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:16 pm

Probably only a week and a bit or theres about lol final planning not set yet as I've had to wait till they get home from Rocky (tonight)to go through everything with them. They took my camps 3 book and I've been hunting for it all week but they had it lol
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby AussieSunset » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:54 pm

Well the plans have changed now. My bro in law is worried he'll wreck his caravan so plans are benched till next year when he can sort out his van and just go in that and not the caravan. :( Oh well never mind there is always next year.
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:49 pm

Oh AS, I am so sorry to hear the plans have fallen over...what a pity!!!

Not sure what it is the the B-I-L is concerned about re wrecking his caravan???

The roads out there through Windorah are all pretty good....is that what he is concerned about??

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby AussieSunset » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:35 pm

It all came from some person when they were away last week saying that he did his caravan axle and all sort of stuff to his caravan on a trip out there this bloke told him. So it put him off taking the caravan even though he called the caravan park and talked to them about the road. They said that the road is really good and that they have been full up for a while now and all the powered sites were all booked last year..yet it's meant to be first in best dressed so no idea why the site would say one thing yet they are booked out. My b-i-l wasn't so concerned about not getting a powered site only the road.
Yeah I'm disappointed but well s**t happens and have come to the conclusion that my b-i-l is a big sook lol
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:15 am

Well I am sorry you are missing out on this adventure AS. And your B-I-L could do an axle anywhere, anytime.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevec » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Is the road to Birdsville suitable for 2WD or is it only 4WD?? :? :?
Was planing a trip out there maybe next year when I finish off the "late Model" caravan ( 1962 model ) as I too am worried about taking the bondwood one (early 50's) out there??

Cheers,
Steve.
stevec
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:58 pm

stevec wrote:Is the road to Birdsville suitable for 2WD or is it only 4WD?? :? :?

Cheers,
Steve.

Which particular road are you referring to Steve??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to Groups & Activities