Average price for one night at a caravan park

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Average price for one night at a caravan park

Postby lauriepiel » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:41 am

Hi all. It is so exciting to find this site with all of you wonderful experienced campers. I'm a Californian (and clearly a newbie on this site) and am planning a camping trip mid October through mid November. I am attempting to get an idea of what it will cost me per night for this 30 day Perth to Sydney adventure across the top in a standard caravan park. There are only 2 of us and so we are renting a small campervan from Britz so it will not be a large diesel motorhome. Thanks to anyone who can give me an idea of what the costs are. Laurie
lauriepiel

Re: Average price for one night at a caravan park

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:12 am

Hi lauriepiel and WELCOME to the forum.

Bit of a difficult question as CPs vary in price quite considerably between the coastal/tourist areas to those in the outback and smaller towns. And of course we also have a number of 'freebie' camping spots as well so that could also be another consideration.

It will also depend on whether you want a powered or non powered site as well. Some CPs have campgrounds down the back (tent area) and charge a lesser fee as well.

I always over allow for costs so I would allow $35 per night as an average which should cover you if you plan to stay in a CP every night. Not knowing how many nights you plan to stay in tourist areas also makes this a bit of a ball park figure.

Here are a couple of websites that may be on interest to you:
http://ozcamps.net/
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~badger04/
http://www.racq.com.au/travel/trip_planner

Cheers....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:47 am

lauriepiel wrote:Hi all. It is so exciting to find this site with all of you wonderful experienced campers. I'm a Californian (and clearly a newbie on this site) and am planning a camping trip mid October through mid November. I am attempting to get an idea of what it will cost me per night for this 30 day Perth to Sydney adventure across the top in a standard caravan park. There are only 2 of us and so we are renting a small campervan from Britz so it will not be a large diesel motorhome. Thanks to anyone who can give me an idea of what the costs are. Laurie

Hi Laurie and welcome to the site.

I would suggest that you invest in "Camps Australia Wide 5". It has a mountain of information in it about free campsites. Another publication to consider is "Caravan Parks Australia Wide". You can see them here at http://www.campsaustraliawide.com/index.php and if you send Phil an email at info@campsaustraliawide.com regarding postage I am sure he would be happy to post them to the US.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:15 am

Hi Laurie

Welcome to the other side of the globe!

CP's generally will have a couple of rates - powered and unpowered sites. Some will have high season and low season rates as well. Point being the size of the vehicle usually is not a consideration. Parks with lots of facilities and which are in popular areas charge more. Gypsylady has provided a link to the 'Badgers' caravanpark site and it is worth a troll around. Lots of independant reviews from caravanners about sites, cost, facilities etc. I use it and contribute occasionally. A trip planner will be extremely worthwhile. Lots of places that look like towns on maps are not :grin: , particularly if you plan going up and across the top end.

I traveled around in your part of the world a little a couple of years ago and would have to observe, we don't have the infrastructure you may be used to, either in terms of road quality or roadside facilities near freeways.

Lots of the folks on here have plenty on travel experience through the regions so keep visiting and asking. We like to try and help :?#

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Cheiffy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:02 pm

I would suggest that you invest in "Camps Australia Wide 5". It has a mountain of information in it about free campsites. Another publication to consider is "Caravan Parks Australia Wide".

I would also agree with Derek on this. Our camps 4 books was invaluable to us on our journeys. One park we did stay at along the Savannah Way (Broome to Cairns) was http://www.bedrockvillage.com.au/ in the small town of Mount Surprise. The staff here and the facilities were excellent and so was the tour to the Undara Lava Tubes.
Please sir, Can I have some more? Time off that is.

"Hard at it"
Fruit Bat Falls, Cape York
Cheiffy
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:42 pm

CAW 5 is now available and can be purchased at a discounted price from your local auto club.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:57 am

gypsylady wrote:I always over allow for costs so I would allow $35 per night as an average which should cover you if you plan to stay in a CP every night. Not knowing how many nights you plan to stay in tourist areas also makes this a bit of a ball park figure.

I would think this would be a good amount to base calculations on. In 2007 we averaged $31 but that was for 2C & 2C, with some nights in campgrounds (cheaper than a van park) and also some free camping.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Return to Introductions: