Single parent camping

Questions, answers, tips and more about camping with children and babies.

Re: Single parent camping

Postby Lin » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:57 pm

I'm a single parent and got into camping with my now 4.5yo daugher a couple of years ago. I think she was just 2 the first time we went. I hated that trip, but that's another story.

One piece of equipment I can highly recommend is a good walkie talkie! I bought our first one about a year ago and have just upgraded to a more powerful one. Haven't actually tried it for camping yet, but am dead keen on doing it next time and wish I had previous time.

The great thing about them is that you can use them as a baby monitor. But they work on batteries as opposed to most baby monitors. That way you can sit by the neighbours' campfire or even use the amenities if they're closeby, but always hear them.

Now my daughter knows how to use them properly, I can also stay in touch with her if she wants to go visit a neighbours camp while I'm doing chores or go for a bike ride around the camping grounds. At home I even take them when we go shopping just in case I lose her!

Other than that, I think the important thing is that you explain the few important rules, but keep it to a few and make them very clear. Things like: never leave the esky or the tent open, no running near the campfire, no wandering off past certain boundaries, no leaving appliances switched on when not in use and whatever chores you want them to do, like collecting kindle or doing the dishes.

My daughter sometimes helps to put up the tent and she is surpringly helpful sometimes. But after a long car drive I don't insist if she doesn't want to.

I find it THE great thing about camping for kids: there are so few rules compared to at home. And that makes them much more inclined to follow those few rules you do insist on.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:44 pm

Lin wrote:
I find it THE great thing about camping for kids: there are so few rules compared to at home. And that makes them much more inclined to follow those few rules you do insist on.

How very true Lin....

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:40 pm

I know some adults who take walkie talkies in case they lose each other.lol
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby melvy » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:07 pm

I like the walkie talkie idea Lin. What model do you have? Does the baby monitor function chew the batteries?
melvy

Postby Lin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:08 pm

I just bought an Oricom PMR1000. It's a 1W one, which is plenty if you're not in a built-up area.

Good question about the batteries. I'm not sure. I assume to use it as a monitor, you'd switch it on voice-activated (or whatever it's called), so it automatically switches on when there's a sound.

To be honest, I'm not overly impressed with the battery-life of ours. But apart from that it's great qualilty and I didn't want to spend more that I did.

We had 0.5W ones which I bought quite cheaply from Dick Smith and they worked quite well too. And they were tiny. But they just weren't powerful enough to use in a built-up area.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Matilda » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:55 pm

Hi, I don't think there is any start and finish to camping, everywhere is different, each state has different weather. You can go camping whenever you want too. I live in Victoria so we usually go camping October to April, but some campers go in winter, whle its warmer and we have been up north in June and July.
Prepare and Enjoy the Great Outdoors
http://www.familyfriendlyozcamping.com.au/
Matilda
Captain Camping

Postby mad3under3 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:19 pm

im a single mum of 3 boys aged, 5,3,2, and im going to pack the boys up in the caravan and go for it.

hoping the boys will get used to it father fast. Im going to get a tent for the back yard, so i get used to the outside sounds,,, i live next to bush, so there is great practice in the back yard lol
mad3under3

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:32 am

mad3under3 wrote:

hoping the boys will get used to it father fast. Im going to get a tent for the back yard, so i get used to the outside sounds,,, i live next to bush, so there is great practice in the back yard lol

That is a really great plan...in fact I started mine off on the back deck and then graduated to the back yard.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby sienna » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Hi,
I'm not single but when it comes to camping, I pretty much am. Hubby is not a keen camper and tends to whinge if he does come. So I go by myself.
As my little one is still young, 3yo, I tend to stick to places that have decent facilities if it is for more than one night. Call me a softie but I like to have a nice shower and having facilities makes it much easier for the littlies. I've been taking my boy since he was 5 1/2 mths old and I'm glad I did.
I also got my son used to sleeping in different 'beds' in different places. A very handy skill to have. When I took him to Japan, he slept in the suitcase because there were no cots. I have friends whose kids won't sleep in any other bed other than their own. Makes it difficult to go away anywhere.
Some things I have found out along the way include that you can never pack too much panadol and demazin. I always take it even if there is no sign of illness. My son comes down with croup in hours and I learned that the hard way.
Also, never underestimate the power of a good packing list. I have one that I wrote in pen and tick off in pencil everytime I go away. When it comes time to pack again, I rub out the pencil ticks and start again. If you can get a plastic container and put camp crockery and cutlery in it, it saves time when packing cos you just grab the box. And you'll find you add bits and pieces as you go and need them.
One final thing, it's not the end of the world if you forget something. You can usually borrow or buy what you need (unless you're out whoop-whoop and you need toilet paper....)
Above all, have FUN!
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby dea » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:15 pm

i think its so wonderful to see single parents going caamping with the kiddies ... we struggle at times doing it together with our trailer lol ...

happy camping !!!!
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby Lin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:20 am

"i think its so wonderful to see single parents going caamping with the kiddies ... we struggle at times doing it together with our trailer lol "

It does simplify things. I'm a single mother with an only child (and a dog), so only need a 4 person tent, a double mattress, 2 chairs and provisions for 1 1/2. Makes packing and setting up quite easy. :)
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby here we g0 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:07 pm

sienna wrote:Also, never underestimate the power of a good packing list. I have one that I wrote in pen and tick off in pencil everytime I go away. When it comes time to pack again, I rub out the pencil ticks and start again.

Hi, I am new to this forum; a single parent and planning our first 'solo' trip camping. This website is a great find - I've learnied so much lurking here :grin:

Sienna - is your packing list mostly your own? Or is there a great template somewhere that you started from? (Panadol would never have made it to my list and I would have learned that one the hard way!!)
here we g0

Postby sienna » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:35 pm

Here we go,
Um not sure exactly where my list came from but it is mostly mine. Just from sitting down and thinking about what I need and actually finding out as you go along. Do you want a copy?
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby here we g0 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:38 pm

Wow Sienna, a copy of your list would be fantastic!! Thanks so much!
here we g0

Postby sienna » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:40 pm

Sure. I'll create a word doc and then I reckon I can pm or email it to you. Give me a few mintues... I should have put it on the computer ages ago! Sometimes you just need paper and pen. :grin:
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

PreviousNext

Return to Camping with Kids