Can self inflating mattresses get holes?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Can self inflating mattresses get holes?

Postby Dettie » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:45 pm

I am going camping with my 11 yo son in October and am doing a check of what I need to replace and update. I have a double sized self inflating mattress which I have only used once and I swear it worked fine the first night and subsequent nights there was a hole. Maybe I overinflated it? I think I am going to ditch it and buy 2 single Self inflators for the camp beds instead.

I have a taj-ma-tent but it is far too big for me to erect myself so I'm looking at the 4 man dome tents, as I think these are the easiest to put up and down... what do you guys think?

I can't wait to get out camping again... it's been a few years since my last stints!

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Re: Can self inflating mattresses get holes?

Postby Cheiffy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:45 pm

Maybe I overinflated it?

Difficult to see how this could happen on a self inflating mattress. I would suggest that maybe one of the caps wasnt on correctly or possibly even faulty. They are however susceptible to holes as any air bed is. When tenting it, we use an old sofa bed mattress that is sufficient for a few nights at a time. This is depending on your own comfort levels of course. If you check out a rubber and foam supplier, you may even find a material that is suitable without the risk of a puncture.

Happy camping

Cheiffy
Please sir, Can I have some more? Time off that is.

"Hard at it"
Fruit Bat Falls, Cape York
Cheiffy
Captain Camping

Return to Gear Guide