Damper?

Great camping, outdoor or general recipes for the whole family. Lets share some of those favourite recipes.

Re: Damper?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:22 pm

Derek wrote:
gypsylady wrote:What raw flour taste Derek??????

If you don't know it then it's hard to explain. Next time you cook a damper add a pinch of salt and taste the difference.

If I can get a pinch from someone, I will Derek....thanks.

However, if I can't taste it how do I know I have it????

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:23 pm

gypsylady wrote:However, if I can't taste it how do I know I have it????

You ask too many questions. Just try it. :***
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:25 pm

Derek wrote:
You ask too many questions. Just try it. :***

How will I learn if I don't ask Derek?????

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Beau » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:55 am

8/10 times i have all most chipped a tooth on my damper, so i went back to what damper was ment to be, and thats soda bread, much nicer :cheers
If you want a nice fluffy 'damper' try this below
*4 cups flour
*2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
*1 tsp salt
*60g butter
*2-2 1/4 cups buttermilk
mix the dry, then mix in the butter, then buttermilk until it turns to dough. Ball it up on a floured surface, shape it around the 20cm round mark then cut the top with a knife so it expands without breaking apart when cooking, bake it for 40 mins.
We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities. -Nessmuk
Beau
Camping King

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:22 pm

Beau wrote: I went back to what damper was meant to be, and that's soda bread,

I believe that is so true and I am also of the opinion that it originated in Ireland.

I found this out once when asked to cook a traditional Irish dinner for someone consisting of Guinness Stew and Soda Bread.

The original soda bread however was very basic. More or less flour, soda and water.

In my research of different things over the years I also found out that years ago there was no such thing as self raising flour and to make flour rise they used to use ash from the fire. When your camp fire burns away to nothing you are left with a very fine white ash sitting on top. This is actually soda ash. A lot of Aussie bush folks used to use it as well.

These days we have cream of tarter, bi-carb soda and baking powder. :shock:
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Beau » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:35 pm

Thats right Derek, some more history on damper for history buffs.

According to history the inventor was a First Fleet passenger named William Bond who was Australia’s first baker and who had his business in Sydney.

This pioneer died in 1838, at the reputed age of one hundred and ten!.

Probably through lack of facilities for making the common bread loaf, most of the bread he first made was "damper" which was derived from his custom of ‘damping` the fire - covering it with ashes so as to preserve the red coals with which to make a blaze in the morning.

The bush damper is still covered in much the same manner. The pioneers had no self-raising flours, baking powders or yeast.
They had many other substitutes, the most popular was a handful of white wood ash.
In the artesian bore country, bore water was sufficient to make the damper rise.

I really believe the concept was from the soda bread. But lack of essential ingredients led to the simplified version of basic bread.
We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities. -Nessmuk
Beau
Camping King

Postby Komodo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:14 pm

Agreed with the above to a degree. I actually feel that traditional damper was probably more closely related to a hybrid "sour dough" / soda bread.

If you are camped in one spot for a little (3days or more) while you can make a sour dough if you make up a small "dough" mixture and pour over some left over red wine or similar. This generates a starter with natural yeasts once your starter is started you can keep it indefinately provided you "feed" it regularly. They turn into monstors! You just break a bit off, kneed it in with your basic bread mixture let it rise and bake your loaf.

Bakers yeasts are really only something that has come about fairly recently. I have even heard you can just make your dough and let it sit and complete wild yeasts will ferment your dough generating CO2 (which is what makes bread rise)

Every now and then I get excided and start making a starter and baking sour dough freeform at home.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby kruiza09 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:03 am

kruiza09

Previous

Return to Favorite Recipes