Gas Lantern

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: Gas Lantern

Postby markcrook » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:45 am

We have bought a coleman gas lantern and some spare mantles, we have tried it at home and were impressed, we just need to buy and extension pipe (have seen them for $30 in Ranger).

Like the fact that the brightness is controllable and the gentle hiss is soothing!
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:55 am

Gas lanterns came off the Ark, didn't they Mark???

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Jo&Kev » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:18 pm

GL - Mine comes out of the back of a Land Rover! Oh - I get it - you mean the gas light is old fashioned.

Hope you enjoy it Mark.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:15 pm

Jo&Kev wrote:GL - Mine comes out of the back of a Land Rover!

Good one Kev....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Woodsy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:01 pm

Here are the lights we use
dscf3246s.jpg

dscf3247s.jpg

The one on the left is ours and is meant to be water proof. It is good for the table etc.

The next one in we have borrowed from my uncle and are yet to use camping. But i have used it inside and i think it will be great indoors

The next one we were given from my uncle and was told if i could fix it i could have it.. I fixed it and it works well. But am still yet to use.

The gas lantern is an old Gaz Symphony lantern and it has not been used in years. It once gain is my uncles and we are struggling to find replacement glass for it as it is not your normal size. It is 100mm wide and no one can get it.

I am hoping to find new glass for the gas lantern as i would like to use it instead of the fluro lights. Anyone able to tell me what the difference in light is between the glass and the gauze? If i can't find the glass can i cut a gauze one to fit?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:38 am

Give me 12 volt and LED any day....sorry guys...been there and done that and it is one path I never want to take again
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Woodsy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:40 pm

my gf is not to keen on us using a gas one or a pump up one as there was a story on '000 heroes' how a mother thought it would be nice to use a lantern instead of house lights for dinner.. she put metho in it and BOOM the thing exploded.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby steve&Kate » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:43 pm

Hi Tuff,

We have 2 gas lanterns and stopped using glass in them years ago, I don't think there is much difference between either the glass or gauze.

Cheers
steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby Woodsy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:54 pm

oh ok cool i think the reason for the frosted glass is to make it a more white light. I can get a new glass for it directly from coleman as they have taken over campingaz but its $20 plus shipping.. I can see it getting broken in no time at all so i might just buy the gauze and cut it to fit.

One less thing to buy batteries for
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:22 pm

Who buys batteries....the 12 volt just plugs into the onboard system on the camper.

Never have to replace glass or mantles or buy gas....no heat off the lights in summer time either.

Horses for courses though....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Dettie » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:18 pm

Tuff, you can still get the replacement glass at Kmart without paying postage. Over the years, I have had 2 breakages so next time I'll probably go for gauze too but just thought I'd let you know.

Dettie

Edit--- scrap what I just said... I just saw your old lantern above. It's antique! lol
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Woodsy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:56 pm

Yeah it is an older one. The glass is a weird size to being 100mm wide and 102 high.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Woodsy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:46 pm

I went the cheaper way and bought the gauze and cut it to fit. Got the fuel for it and a pack of mantles and it works really well. But after use if i put my nose up to it and smell i can smell butane. So i assume that there is a small leak or should they smell after use?
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Retired8 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:23 am

We went camping for the first time in 5 years and took the Coleman NorthStar LP gas latern and expected that it would need a new mantle, but to my surprise it was all ok. One gas cylinder and an extension pole works well. This is also backed up by a COL-LITE 12 volt fluorescent - best of both worlds. As Jo&Kev said you can turn it off at the cylinder and it gives you time to get into bed before the light goes out. As we are getting back into camping after a five year break, I notice the camping stores don't have the variety of gas lights like they had years ago, many more battery powered ones.
Retired8

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:19 pm

Retired8 wrote:
As Jo&Kev said you can turn it off at the cylinder and it gives you time to get into bed before the light goes out. .

The newer Versa Lights have a green after glow which is great for the same purpose.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Previous

Return to Gear Guide