SE qld spots

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

SE qld spots

Postby dea » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:53 pm

Hi we are looking at goingaway with freinds in nov... where can you suggest .. we are pretty much set up for bush camping ...we were going to do the caravan park thing but its just way too dear .

so im thinking of either janowen, gordon country ,spring gully ...

if you have any others within 2 hrs of brisbane tell me ....

cheers dea
dea
Camping Oracle

Re: SE qld spots

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:09 pm

SGS on the other side of the creek is bush camping but Paul did put in a portable loo last time I was there....other than that, no amenities. It is a great spot and one of my favourites.

I also like Janowen Hills (in fact the owners are friends of mine) but it is a couple of years since I have camped there. They have added more facilities closer to the road for better access.

I personally don't like GC...but to each his own.

Another one is Bestbrook and whilst I have not personally camped there, others have and it seems pretty popular. http://www.bestbrook.com.au/

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby dea » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:12 pm

thank you ... what about thunderbird park have you been there
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:14 pm

dea wrote:thank you ... what about thunderbird park have you been there

It is not bush camping, it is more like a caravan park with quite small structured sites.

I have been there and would not consider going back though I know of others who like it.

I like open spaces, campgrounds with no structure and I especially like bush camping.

Another of my favourite places is Island Reach at Imbil. http://www.ircamping.com.au/

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby dea » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:31 pm

gypsylady wrote:
dea wrote:thank you ... what about thunderbird park have you been there

It is not bush camping, it is more like a caravan park with quite small structured sites.

I have been there and would not consider going back though I know of others who like it.

I like open spaces, campgrounds with no structure and I especially like bush camping.

Another of my favourite places is Island Reach at Imbil. http://www.ircamping.com.au/

thanks for that ... we will have 7 kids with us so it looks perfect for them .. without the caravan park costs.. well see how we go with it ...
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:00 pm

Gordon Country is also very good. They have upgraded things a little in recent times as well.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:02 pm

dea wrote:
thanks for that ... we will have 7 kids with us so it looks perfect for them .. without the caravan park costs.. well see how we go with it ...

If you are referring to Island Reach....yes it is definitely perfect for kids. Tony, Jim and Maryann are very helpful. Amenities are a bit basic but do the job and the grounds are beautiful as is Yabba Creek. I am sure you will enjoy it.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stella » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:50 am

Doesn't matter - answered my own question (couldn't figure out how to delete this post tho)- SGS = Spring Gully Stays

Cheers
stella

Postby snake_dr » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:56 am

bestbrook is quite nice, its basically a big open farm, we had a few acre's to ourselves when we went, sitting right on the little creek. it has a small play area and they feed the farm animals once or twice a day so the kids can go and get involved in that as well. quite a nice spot and very close. we are going to give goomburra valley a go mid January to see what its like. im reading some negative things about the owners however so i hope these dont come true because its an awesome looking little spot
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:06 am

snake_dr wrote: we are going to give goomburra valley a go mid January to see what its like. im reading some negative things about the owners however so i hope these dont come true because its an awesome looking little spot

It is a great spot (& used to be one of my favourites) but everything you have heard about the current owners (the husband in particular) is I am sure, quite correct. He walks around every afternoon under the guise of a friendly chat but is really checking to see who is doing what that he does not approve of. I just heard more negative comments on my recent xmas camp from another camper who had been there recently.

Expect the worst and if by chance it is better than that then you are on a winner.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby snake_dr » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:13 am

really? with this many people putting out bad feedback it cant be good. he's just going to run himself out of business. they did seem quite friendly when we stopped in whilst on a drive when we stayed at bestbrooke last year but that doesnt mean a thing. at least the creek should be flowing nice, maybe a drowning is in order!
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:06 pm

snake_dr wrote:
he's just going to run himself out of business. at least the creek should be flowing nice, maybe a drowning is in order!

It would be really interesting to see how he is doing in comparison to when Dean had the place. He has been there a couple of years now.

I must admit I have never seen the creek flowing in all the years I have camped there, water in it but not flowing. There used to be pics of it in flood up on the wall in the stage area.

Will you take some pics of it and post when you come back??

A drowning.......now that conjures up plenty!!
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby MDC » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:18 pm

Don't know if it's the same spot but I remember camping at Goomburra maybe 15+ years ago and having to pack up early because the site was about to be flooded.
MDC
Captain Camping

Postby dea » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:38 am

we are off to janowen on 18th dec....
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:12 am

MDC wrote:Don't know if it's the same spot but I remember camping at Goomburra maybe 15+ years ago and having to pack up early because the site was about to be flooded.

There are a couple of places out that way, Goomburra Valley (private campground), Gordon Country (also private) and the Goomburra Forest which is now a national park.

It could well be any of them MDC.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations