I love Camping! But with kids???

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

I love Camping! But with kids???

Postby mummeee74 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:59 am

Hi Everyone
I am a newbie, but not really a newbie to camping, just haven't attempted it with children (eeek). I have 2 little angels 3.5 and 1yo. We are thinking of purchasing a camper trailer and wondered if anyone on the forum has one or knows about the pro's and con's. Are they worth the $'s is my main question. We have a 1.8L 4cyl car so we don't want to tow anything too heavy. We currently don't have a trailer (or tent technically) so we would have to purchase these things anyway. At the moment we would be staying at powered sites, mainly while the kids are so little but hopefully I would like to do some pretty big road trips eventually and feel that perhaps the trailer would be good if we were having to set it up every couple of days. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

And since I have been browsing this site tonight I noticed a few people go to Newnes, I used to go when I was a kid - what's it like now? Are the glow-worms still there and the tar pits? what about the pub? I heard since it was moved it was no longer a pub and turned into a craft shop or something? I would love to take my kids there, but perhaps in a couple of years.

And sorry if this is getting long.... I am never short on words. But does anyone know of a place that has a rock pool or shallow flat water within say 2hrs of Sydney that also has a nice camping ground within walking distance?

My feet are getting itchy now...
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:05 am

Welcome to the forums Mummeee!

In regard to you CT question ... my guess is that with the smaller car and engine you will be looking more at a 6x4ft camper trailer. They are just as good as any other tho' as you would expect it is a little smaller BUT you can get things like double bunk camp beds which take up less floor space becuase they go up. We have one for our 12 y/o but need it so the dog can sleep somehwhere ... :lol: ...

The other thing, if you go down the '6x4ft' road is to make sure that you can get an annexe to add on later (or get it with the initial purchase). They give you a lot more room which you'll need with smaller children especially if it's raining.

Not sure on the prices in Sydney but over here in Perth a 6x4ft CT costs around $4k (new) and add about $500 - $1k for the annexe ... just depends on how big the annexe is as to cost.

Hope this helps somewhat.

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:37 pm

Yep will definitely be 6x4 size/style. We are looking at just having a double bed mattress (foam style) on the floor, as my youngest is still in a cot and my older one is in a bed but with sides, so they won't have far to fall if they are already on the floor LOL. Later will definitely change to something like you suggest for sure. Thank goodness we only have a little dog and she doesn't take much lounge space most of the time! But alas she will probably have to stay home and miss out on all the fun :(

Prices over here seem to be a bit more expensive, we looked at a friend of a friends today and were very impressed but the price really starts to add up when you add annexes on etc. But it does seem to be a very well made product though and I can see the value but it's still a lot of money. My husband is also very set on the idea of an aluminium trailer, as it is lighter and we will probably be packing a LOT of stuff for the kids, no such thing as travelling light these days.

This is the website if you are interested;
http://www.3dogcamping.com.au

I am very reluctant to go without the extra addaroom (enclosed annexe) as I fear my youngest will take off too easily and I can't see him being too happy if he is confined to the small bed area while we are under the awning preparing meals or whatever, if he was a little older it wouldn't be such an issue. And you are right, it could be a complete nightmare if we didn't have it and it rained (unthinkable!).

Decisions Decisions!
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:47 pm

I would certainly strongly suggest getting something that you can add annexe's onto. It's very handy ... of course you can buy the basic design and add to it later (we add a bit every year).

Good idea re. the aluminium trailer. You will take heaps of stuff and the list will only get longer! We've put a 4ft x 1ft tool box on our draw bar to accomodate extra gear ... it fits two 55ltr stoarge containers really well which in turn gives us more room in the tralielr for our toys. I note the 3dogs has a purpose built toolbox ... good one!

I look the look of the 3 dogs CT ... for a small CT it seems pretty good and there seems to be an annexe option so looks like it is good for 'accesorising'.

Post some pics if you get one!

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:07 pm

That 4' x 1' tool box sounds great, I think plastic storage boxes might be the best thing ever invented for campers LOL!

The 3 dog does seem really good on the accessory side, that is part of the problem too much choice! This or that or just that and this later....

Thanks for advice Scol, much appreciated, will definitely post pics when we get one just like any proud new parent!
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:25 pm

Can't comment on the CT cause never had one BUT:

I've been camping a few times with an older friend of mine who has 3 kids. And it's something you just gotta do :mrgreen: . Any parent who doesn't take their kids camping should be reported to DOCS :lol: Everything takes heaps longer, so if your camping with friends, and they ask you how long your going to be before your ready to do 'xyz' , and you want to say 1hr.... SAY 2HRs!!!!! Just been my experience always waiting for my mate :lol:

About Newne's, the glow worms are definatly still there but i've never heard of the Tar pits :? or the pub :? , but then i haven't actually been into the historical town of Newne's if that is where it is? Is it worth the extra K's?
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby mummeee74 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:36 pm

yeah everything takes longer with kids - everything!! But it will be fun and I am really looking forward to getting out with them.

With Newnes I am not even 100% sure of where we used to go, but looking at the NP website I presume it was the Newnes campground, can't imagine 80 spots there though, must of changed. I was early teens so I didn't really pay much attention. I remember from where we camped it was a big walk to the glow worms (but could of only been 1k LOL). The tar pits had really awful skeletons of birds and things in them, kind of gorey. could not tell you where they were. And the pub well I have heard it is now a craft store or something, it was moved from beside the river/road when the river flooded, they literally picked it up and moved the whole thing, I wasn't there but wish I was. And because it was moved they "apparently" lost their liquor licence. I remember going in there and playing darts with my friend and thinking I was really cool. Geez I am talking over 20yrs ago, so who knows what it is like now. I remember passing the pub and crossing the river, their was a campground before you crossed the river but we went a little further in, always fun crossing the river in my friend's dad's Austin! Looks like I might have to go and check it out myself now!

Do you know are there any other camping forums that are good, this one is um well very quiet, which isn't bad but wouldn't mind hearing from some camper trailer devotees.

Thanks
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:10 pm

I'm thinking maybe there is another entrance to the Glow worm tunnel after that. We usually stay in Newnes State forest, and there's only one official campground there called bungleboori, which at a guess is atleast 20k from the glow worm tunnel :shock: not walking distance :lol: . Takes about 20mins by car on bumpy dirt road, through 2 smallish tunnels, and then there's a carpark and a 500m walk to the glow worm tunnel. On the otherside of the tunnel the walking track continues (maybe to the campsite you mentioned?) but I haven't been very far down it.

If you want camper trailer tech the only other site that comes to mind is http://www.exploroz.com . Seems to have alot of technical articles there but I cant stand their layout so have never joined.

I'd say just get a normal 6x4 Trailer and a decent tent (a quality quick set-up one). Will save a few thousand and will be more versatile cause you can use the trailer for other things not just camping. YMMV :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:47 pm

mummeee74 wrote:yeah everything takes longer with kids - everything!! But it will be fun and I am really looking forward to getting out with them.

Thanks

Naah ... it's the wives that take the longest ... ::() ::() ::()

:booty

:armsup :armsup :armsup

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:48 pm

Thanks Ozzycamperboy I have already read the articles on exploroz, they were quite good.

That is a very good alternative, standard trailer and quick set up tent, we going around in circles a bit, but with that option the trailer is able to be used for other things as well.... ah decisions, just need tonights lotto numbers really.

Yep sounds like you were on the otherside at Newnes, so many places to go and explore, I am guessing you are 4WD'ers and can get to some remote places, that would be great.

Thanks again
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby mummeee74 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:51 pm

Nope trust me, I can get 2 kids ready, make lunches, pack the nappy bag, get myself ready while my husband is still drinking his coffee and putting his shoes on, I have to admit the man has taught me ALOT of patience over the years!
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:11 pm

was just thinking I've heard of this glow worm stuff recently... pick up recent Overlander magazine and open to the page I'm up to and there it is!
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby jollyroger » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:28 pm

I have a CT and two kids and missus and a staffy. The CT is 7x4 with queen size bed tent, annexe and awning. It's 15gauge canvas (apparently that's good)
The rugrats are 7 and 5. We just took the plunge and bought a secondhand CT and all the stuff needed.
It was best decision we made. The kids love it.

TWO TIPS FOR FREE!
1:
Make sure you are as close to the toilets or take a make shift one with you. They (kids) never go at night at home - but the *#its always go at 2am when camping. Buy one of the those lamps that have night lights in them or just leave a fluro on all night like we do.

2:They (kids) never puke at home during the night. But after the campfire and 40 thousand marshmellows they puke distances I could only ever dream of. Take three buckets with you. One stays in the CT at night.

It's a hoot and I would never do anything different! Glad we did it.
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Scolers » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:46 pm

jollyroger wrote: - but the *#its always go at 2am when camping.

Just like me!!!

:armsup :armsup :armsup

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:15 am

We have a staffy as well, not purebred though she's x Chihuahua, yeah OK stop laughing she was supposed to be x boxer. At least she doesn't take up much room on our couch. Great dog though, spent a fortune on her legs though, 1 x knee reconstruction, 1 x hip op and she also snapped the crucite ligament. Really bad combination of dogs, big body small legs. But we still love her.

Great tips, wondered what we were going to do about the light, our eldest insists on a night light at the moment. Thanks to you I will be packing numerous buckets as well!!

Any tips on the kitchen setup, we have ordered the trailer just trying to figure out the best option for the sink etc.
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Next

Return to Introductions: