Converting an on road ct to off road

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Converting an on road ct to off road

Postby steve40 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:36 pm

Hi all just a question regarding how easy or hard is it to convert an on road ct to off road and if it is worth doing or better to buy an off road ct and what is involved.
I am buying a 4 wheel drive soon and i have a on road campertrailer,I am not going to do any hard core 4wd like rock hopping or anything like that proberly just bush tracks and such.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers Steve
ps the camper trailer I have now is an oztrail 6...........
steve40

Re: Converting an on road ct to off road

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:42 pm

If it is just a case of a spring over it might be simple enough Steve but I imagine it would depend on what the suspension is that you currently have on the CT.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:34 pm

You could just raise the suspension a little bit and fit bigger tyres to give it more clearance. Might want to add shocks too if it doesn't have them already.

If your handy with basic tools and a welder I don't see why it couldn't be done.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby mr_grumble » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:07 pm

Yup, a set of ALKO 'Outback' rebound springs (no need for shocks then), a 45mm square axle and a wheel / tyre combination to suit the desired ride height.

If being used as an off-roader, then you may want to consider a stone guard up front and depending on whether the current trailer is galvanised, a layer of sound deadener tar underneath as stone chip protection.

Also, depending on the level of off-roading, you may want to change over the coupling from the 50mm ball coupling to one of the 4wd hitches, ie tregg, Hyland, Orac etc...... so the beast doesn't seperate from the tow vechicle prematurely :--?

Maybe look at the dust integrity, may need the odd seal installed around the tailgate / bed base to keep the dust out :roll:

Hope it helps.....

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:35 am

mr_grumble wrote:
If being used as an off-roader, then you may want to consider a stone guard up front

Just something re: the stone guards, I've heard of them bouncing rocks up into the towing cars rear window on occasion. So something to consider in the design if you make one.

I know I'd rather a dented CT than a smashed rear window :lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Chris-Vi » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:10 pm

You might also want to check the size and thickness of your drawbar. We have a stone guard and yes it does bounce some rocks onto the rear of the vehicle but also keeps alot down. If you are traveling on rocky roads you need to protect your rear windows. Some use beer cartons, we used corrugated plastic sheet cut to size and didn't have any problems. :cheers
Chris-Vi
Boy Scout

Postby Titch » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:30 pm

I am buying a 4 wheel drive soon and i have a on road campertrailer,I am not going to do any hard core 4wd like rock hopping or anything like that proberly just bush tracks and such.

All good advice so far, as you are only doing as stated above.
Remember to get under the trailer and protect wiring etc.
Wire cage around lights as well.
For protection of your rear window, go to bunning and buy a peice of acrylic,cut to size and fasten with suction cups.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:06 pm

If your going to use the towball, remember to make sure that the trailer sits level with the towing car, So definitly start off with some 4wd tyres for that extra lift and ability to get over potholes/rocks/mud/sand/snow whatever without any dramas, It's a good idea to use the same size wheels and tyres as the towing car not only to get the same height, you will have a couple more spare tyres should the car's spare gets punctured.

If you have to change the wheel hubs to suit the 4wd wheels, it's a good time to use stub axles instead of the long axle. It would allow that extra foot of clearance down the middle of the trailer and less likely for it catch onto anything. If you drive on corrugatted dirt roads, you might want to have some shocks fitted, But usually just letting down the tyre pressure can make a big difference.

BTW A piece of cardboard taped over the rear window will save it from damage.
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby steve40 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:42 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys once i get my 4wd i will attach it on check the level and clearance.As for the stone guard the 4wd i am buying is a ute so that is not a big problem but I plan to put one on anyway.
steve40

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:39 am

Dodgy_Dave wrote:
BTW A piece of cardboard taped over the rear window will save it from damage.

This is a bit off subject again.....

I use 3mm ply secured with silicon when travelling in the outback to protect the rear window. Ply will last better than cardboard if you have rain and the silicon can be easily cleaned from the window with a blade.

This last trip I actually painted the ply to protect it....only because it was a long trip and the chance of rain was greater.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby mr_grumble » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:15 am

You can also greatly reduce the stones hitting the stone guard of the CT by installing a full width skirt on the back underside of the tow vehicle, first time I tried mine I couldn't find more than 3 stone impacts on the stone guard.
The stones that hit backs of windows come straight off the rear tires, off the stone guard and onto the window. The skirt will stop / dramatically reduce the speed of these stones straight off the tires.
Also pays to in-build as much angle (both down and away) the stone guard has to try direct as much as possible down and out to the side.

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby welder.man » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:25 pm

Hi Steve While you could just change the suspension and fit a new treg type hitch I would be looking at how your trailer has been made, There are a lot of trailers out there with no chassis at all just a box with the spring hangers and draw-bar welded to them, I get them in our workshop all the time to weld them back together most of the time I can convince the customer to allow me to fabricate and fit a full chassis to the trailer for them, as that way they will never have trouble again.

Also you might want to look & see if you have double hung springs or slipper spring as the slipper springs can give a little trouble when on rough ground by pulling out of the rear slide mount, no real problem except you might have to drop the front shackle bolt out to get it back in more of a pain the anything.

On a few of my trailers I have made the chassis from stainless steel and turned it into a water storage tank. or i build flat water tanks that mount between the chassis rails.

Do you have any photos of your trailer?

I hope some of this helps
Simon

http://www.abbeyswelding.com.au

abbeyswelding@bigpond.com

Metal Fabrication - Welding Repairs - Wrought Iron - Sign Writing - Custom Decals
welder.man
Boy Scout

Return to Camper Trailers