Camp tables

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Camp tables

Postby Dettie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:22 pm

I'm after some feedback for what tables to invest in. Up until last time I camped, I used cheapo card table fro K-mart. The type with the fold out wooden legs. Maybe I should buy a few of the aluminium tables... are they stable? I'll be using it for cooking on and eating... laptop and games.

Cheers
Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Re: Camp tables

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:55 pm

I have two 6 foot blow mould folding tables, both from Kmart. One, I have had for many years and still use it every time I camp. They now come in their own carry bag which makes them very good value for money.

I also have the smaller version, bought it recently for times when I do not need the big ones. No carry bag with it, had to get one made.

Never use my aluminium tables, especially after using the others. They are fiddly to put up, smaller and less stable.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:36 pm

The only thing I don't like about the cheap little fold out leg ones is the size, only really room for 4 people to sit around.

I have two, one was given to me, one I paid $4 for at a rummage sale. Had them both for about 5 years and still going strong :lol:

If I ever wanted to get a bigger/better one I'd want to see it opened up in store first. Some of the expensive ones can be pretty crummy from what I've seen of friends ones.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:50 pm

I think the aluminium tables are flimsy and would blow over with a slight breeze, but that didn't stop my girlfriend buying one for me so I can't complain too much. I'll set it up tommorow and see if it's worth keeping. :roll:
I have been using a rusty old fibre table from the 80's but was hoping to get a small blow mould table. I've bought a small wooden fold out table from GoLo for about $15 just for the stove. Nice and sturdy so it won't rock about.
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby markcrook » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:00 pm

We have a blow moulded table, bought it from Bunnings (they have lots of different sizes) and seemed relativley cheap. Stores flat in the bottom of the trailer. I would definatley recomend it, we have had lots of other tables, aluminium, fold out picnic, roll top and this is the best so far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:54 pm

markcrook wrote:We have a blow moulded table, bought it from Bunnings

Yep that looks exactly the same as the ones I have except mine fold in half.

I found the ones from Kmart cheaper than the Bunnings one and the legs locked into position better.

Would recommend that you check them both out before deciding, if that is the way you plan to go Dettie.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby dea » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:50 pm

markcrook wrote:We have a blow moulded table, bought it from Bunnings (they have lots of different sizes) and seemed relativley cheap. Stores flat in the bottom of the trailer. I would definatley recomend it, we have had lots of other tables, aluminium, fold out picnic, roll top and this is the best so far.

thats same one we have & also has bench seats too.... love it .. very handy with 6 of us
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:50 pm

dea wrote:
thats same one we have & also has bench seats too.... love it .. very handy with 6 of us

I have the folding bench seats as well...pinched them from my daughter as she seldom goes camping these days. And you are right dea....thay are great.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:24 am

I'll join the echo of that looks like mine!

It used to fit nicely across the back of the Landcruiser seats, have not camped in the Discovery yet so not sure how it will fit in there! Something for me to look at today - rubbish day here!

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:20 am

You don't have that problem with the folding ones Kev....they will fit in a lot of different places......in the well under the bed, on top of the bed and in the back of the car. On my recent outback trip the bagged one actually travelled on top of the camper along with the chairs and folding stool. I left the other one at home.

Because I have 2, one usually lives in the well under the bed and the one in the carry bag normally travels in the back of the car. I only use the 2 of them when I have a static camp set up longer term...eg Xmas or Easter.

For weekends I reverse the car in under the annex (trips as well) and use the tailgate of the car as extra bench space in the kitchen and then the carry bag one for eating at or sitting around.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby dea » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:59 am

we either tie ours down on top of camper or it fits inbetween the trailer & toolbox.. then we have 4 bikes on top of toolbox lol ...nothing fits in our car anymore ....
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby Dettie » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:12 pm

Thanks to all for your help! I ended up going with the moulded plastic version from the Kmart sale yesterday :) I just can't wait to get out and use it!

Dettie
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:17 pm

The folding one Dettie??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Dettie » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:14 pm

Yes, the folding one. It's not the really large one but is still rectangular and looks big enough to cater for everything. I think I"ll also buy an aluminium one to use next to the stove.

Dettie
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Woodsy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:11 am

Although we haven't used it yet we have a plastic table top with metal legs and 2 bench seats that go with it. The bench seats click into the base of the table for storage.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Next

Return to Gear Guide