Motorcycling camper

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Motorcycling camper

Postby mattb » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:20 pm

G'day All.

I've just signed up for the odd bit of advice and to learn from the discussions on here. I'm a motorcyclist of the sort who favours gently plodding along exploring, and that is leading me back into camping. My Dad is a very experienced hiking and camping nut living down the south of Tasmania, but I haven't done much since doing it with him up until my mid teens (did the whole cub and scout thing too), and maybe it's age and getting over the glitz of the big city into which I moved at 17 but I'm getting drawn to spend more quiet time out in the bush when I ride (I do a 10-12hr ride at least once a week - here are some http://contemplativemotorcycling.blogspot.com ), and this is drawing me to get back into camping.

I've got chronic back problems so I logged on to search about mattresses around here, but I've decided that I won't let pain or discomfort get in the way of experiencing beautiful things any more! (Just as I won't let it stop me riding vintage kick-start motorcycles.)
Being a motorcyclist I have to pack light, but that's half the fun. Look forward to getting advice off you guys and enjoying the stories, photos and banter.

Matt

mattb

Re: Motorcycling camper

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:21 am

Hi Matt & WELCOME to the forum.......not sure we have many members from Tassie but very glad to have you join us.

Like you, I love the bush....love to listen to the sounds of the bush as well so can completely understand your new found passion.

Lots of great info to be found here and when you have a bit of time I suggest you go back though some of the old threads and have a good look. You'll find some really interesting stuff.

BTW we would love to hear of your adventures and of course see any pics that you might take along the way as well.

Cheers Gypsy

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby markcrook » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi Matt,

How about one of these - http://www.detourcampers.com/motorcycle.htm

Some of the standard features of the motorcycle camper include:

Full size double mattress.

Large windows that are fully screened.

Lightweight construction for easy towing.

Large storage area.

On average it takes under 90 seconds to set up.

I have never been one for travelling light!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby freerocketman1 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:13 pm

you hit the nail on the head mark i saw a couple of them campers at the camping show & thought they were great. their light to tow & easy to set up. :+
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby mattb » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:54 pm

It's pretty amazing to see what people do to turn their bikes into camping rigs! My preference is for the lighter side of things (you know, the romanticism of all that), including for low powered simple bikes (that one in the pic is a 500cc single cylinder, with kickstart only). However, I have bought a sidecar chassis and in time will fit a 'boat' to it to store and lock gear, and take my partner, and enable us to go anywhere into the heart of the country that two wheels would might balk at. It will be fitted to the bike below (exploring Lake Eildon National Park last Sunday). But check out the pic below it - that's gotta be the vehicle of my dreams!

mattb

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:37 am

That is amazing. The little boat even has an old seagull outboard on the back. Do you know if that is an Australia photo??
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby welder.man » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:19 am

Hi Matt

My uncle and I are building a motorbike camper for behind his BMW K100RT, it will set up in only a few minutes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simon

http://www.abbeyswelding.com.au

abbeyswelding@bigpond.com

Metal Fabrication - Welding Repairs - Wrought Iron - Sign Writing - Custom Decals
welder.man
Boy Scout

Postby mattb » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:57 pm

Derek, not sure if it's Australian but it might well be - it's set up to be ridden on the proper side of the road! (The yanks and Europeans have their sidecars on the other, the right, side of the bike, basically like a car in both cases.) Here's an Australian one, which is the most impressive example I've seen...

Nice a bad job on that camper trailer! A fold out design is much smarter given teh aerodynamic issues. My second and hopefully final sidecar might have a fold-down seat-cum-bed and perhaps some sort of shade-tent in the design.
mattb

Postby Woodsy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:43 pm

Wow they are all awesome. Motorcycle camping would be a great adventure thats for sure..
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Return to Introductions: