Coastal camping area NSW.. First trip since 2007!!!

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Re: Coastal camping area NSW.. First trip since 2007!!!

Postby tezzaglen » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:04 am

i went camping in the tellegherry area a couple of weeks ago josh definitely worth a look

can pass on the gps coord's if u like

tezza
tezzaglen
Camping King

Postby Woodsy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:01 am

Don't have a GPS. I think i am going to have to go and buy a map of the area as we don't have any maps at all and if we get lost we are abit buggered as apparently there is no phone reception out there.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Woodsy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:06 pm

We are off shortly and should make it up there before dark hopefully. Will get lots of pics and will write a review when we return. :?# ::) :beer :grin:
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:11 pm

Looking forward to hearing all about your great adventure Josh.....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Woodsy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:49 pm

We had a nice relaxing few days away. Nice river below our camp spot which you would hear running all night and we did a 3.5km bush walk while we were there.. Would of loved to do more but i pulled my hamstring while setting everything up! Bugs were kept at bay with the new mesh we put on which was great but had its draw backs to.. with me atleast.. would much prefer not to use it as i don't really feel outside if that makes sense. Some very friendly birds were around and they have cows that roam freely around the property.

The nights were cold and the days were warm. We travelled up to Chichester dam which is only a 5 minute drive away to use the pay phone and have a look around as we had no mobile reception out there.. Turns out that Telstra have forgotten about the payphone and it no longer works.. and still has Telecom on it. Not to mention it is the first time in a long time i have used a payphone that old! lol

Anyway all my pics are here http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/lxhatch/Ferndale%20Park/?start=40 so feel free to look around.. there are afew pages of them.

It really is a magical spot.. We will be going there again for sure.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:33 pm

Good on you Josh....Glad to hear it was a successful camp.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Woodsy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:40 pm

It was great.. i'll do a little write up tonight
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Woodsy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:02 pm

We left here on Thursday around 2pm and headed up to Ferndale Park. We arrived around 4:30pm and started setting up. Took us around 1.5hrs to have everything set up as Amanda couldn't get the tent pegs in even with the mallet.. Which was a bugger for me as the constant getting up and down for all the pegs made me pull my Hamstring and not finish till it was dark.
We put up our bug mesh for first time use and i have to say it worked rather well although it does need more clips to hold it on. However it didn't really feel right not having bugs etc fly around you at night.. Made me feel like i was sitting inside.

We made a pizza up and cooked it in our little bbq which was brilliant, had a beverage or 2 and hit the sack.
The first night we were freezing as we opened up the sleeping bags and over lapped them using them as a doona. So in the middle of the night we did them up as they should be used and were toasty warm.. needless to say we did not make that mistake again.

The next morning we were up around 6am and went for a walk down to the river then drove up to Chichester Dam to phone the parents to let them know we arrived safely and to have a look at the Dam itself. The pay phone is the oldest phone i have seen in years.. I believe it is in a Telecom phone booth and is one of the old orange phones.. Well it didn't work.. so we headed on down to the Dam but had to park half way down the road as they were spraying weeds. 2 Fighter jets flew over head which we had happen at Mungo as well. I assume they are from the Newcastle Base. We were the only people at the Dam and the only noise we could hear was that of the birds and the water coming from the Dam.

We headed into Dungog and found a payphone to call home and then looked around Dungog itself. It is an old town and it shows in the buildings that are there and is really worth a visit if you like that sort of thing like i do.

The reason we used a pay phone is that Vodafone does not get any reception out there even in Dungog. We didn't get reception till we got into Maitland on the trip home. But we wern't complaining.

We headed back towards camp and decided to take a look at Jerusalem Falls which was only a short walk from the parking area but wasn't really a "falls" as such as it hadn't rained enough. Still had a little bit of water running off it though. Then we continued along to look at the Tellegherry campsite which is around 15 minutes further along the dirt road. There was only 2 people there sharing a tent and seems like a nice out of the way spot. NOTE: You have to make a water crossing to get to the camp grounds.

Heading out of the camp grounds at Tellegherry.

We eventually got a fire going that night and tried to cook up some snacks in it. We had some tortillas and put chocolate and stuff inside them wrapped them up put them in foil and put them in the fire.. They turned out to be a complete disaster and were burnt.. which was a bummer because i was looking forward to them!.. So next time i won't cook them so long.

On Saturday we headed up to Williams River through Salisbury to do the 3.5km loop bush walk. It is a nice drive out there taking around 40 minutes. Amanda saw a snake on the road while we were driving ( I didn't see it so i don't think it counts :P ) and scared a Kangaroo which was feeding on the side of the road and decided to jump out infront of us.. It was almost Black and have never seen one that dark before. The amount of Monster tree's and rivers, creeks and pools was amazing. The water was Crystal clear and was quite inviting but bloody cold.

We headed into Dungog again to get some bread.. Long drive for Bread.. but it gave us something to do which didn't involve aggravating the hamstring anymore. So may nice places along Chichester Dam Road which are worth a stop.

On our last night we got another fire going.. This one the better of the 2 and just sat looking at the stars and enjoying a nice drink to the crackle of the fire.

Sunday morning we filled up on Bacon and eggs packed everything up and made the journey home.. But in no rush..
Could quite easily live out in that area.. So now i'm ready for the next trip!.. Better start planing as i have the Camping Bug again!
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby CampGrrlz » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:37 pm

Thank you for your report and photos Josh - much enjoyed :-) sounds and looks like a top spot.

E
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:42 pm

Woodsy wrote:

We put up our bug mesh for first time use and i have to say it worked rather well although it does need more clips to hold it on. However it didn't really feel right not having bugs etc fly around you at night.. Made me feel like i was sitting inside.

Josh, I used clothes pegs for mine, I got some of the stronger plastic ones and found they worked a treat.

Sorry you missed the bugs so much. I bet in the middle of summer with all those annoying flies...you'll soon learn to appreciate it
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Woodsy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:46 pm

Yes i have to admit that the flies did come out during the day... and they were huge flies at that. Winter i can't really see the need for it so much but in summer yes for sure.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:00 pm

Woodsy wrote:Yes i have to admit that the flies did come out during the day... and they were huge flies at that. Winter i can't really see the need for it so much but in summer yes for sure.

I only use my screen in summer Josh.....other times I make do with my Robocan...although they are now Raid Robocan I think....certainly Raid have taken Robocan over. Not sure the Raid product is as good, time will tell when I have to buy a refill.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Previous

Return to Camping Tips and Locations