What else to do...

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

What else to do...

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:41 pm

Hi guy's.

What else is there to do on the way back from camping but to do more camping.

I'm heading up to Stockton beach for the weekend for a bit of fishing and 4wd'ing but for my journey back home I would like to take my time and find other places to camp, After a couple of days at the beach I would like to head south west / Central west NSW, Perhaps from the Hunter region, sample some wine along the way, Wollemi or Yengo NatParks but I have no knowladge of that area. I read Goulburn river National park is worth a visit.

I have set aside an extra 2-3 days for exploration of the area. I will be going alone so I dont want to wander too far off the beaten track. Preferably free camp grounds, but I'm willing to pay a small fee If the location is worth it. No power required.

Any advice is appreciated.
cheers,
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Re: What else to do...

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:34 pm

Suggest you try and pick up a copy of National Parks Guide.
Around the vineyards the mearest free spots would be either the Watagan Mountains or Yengo National Park.
You could consider going back via Bylong/Rylstone (camp at Dunn's Swamp). After leaving Stockton head west through Maitland then turn onto Golden Highway past Jerry's Plain to Denman. Turn onto Bylong Road. Dunn's Swamp is out from Rylstone. This takes you past several of the Upper Hunter Vineyards.

Then perhaps consider going through Oberon to Wombeyan Caves then down the mountain back to the 'Gong
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:24 pm

That's the sort of path I was thinking of but I think I might have to stay away from the Watagans, From what I've read, it's a great 4wd playground, I might be tempted in doing something silly. :lol:

Actually I've been waiting for the Gregories travel books that Aldi have on sale tommorow. National parks aust. and 4wd weekends, But I will stop off at the places you suggested.

Cheers,
Dave
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby Dettie » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:36 pm

Dodgey, I also recommend Womiyan Caves. Have fun!
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:13 pm

Well guy's this is how I went.

Friday arvo I arrived at Stockton beach and camped the night, After a few beers and listening to Parra Vs St.George on the radio, I cranked some tunes and woke up to a flat battery. Lucky I had a backup battery out of one of those jump starter packs, I use them for 12v lighting and for the fish finder in the tinny.

Saturday I spent having fun in the sand with some other fellas off a 4wd forum and stayed another night.

Sunday, I left at about 9-10am and took the tourist route through the Hunter valley via Kurri Kurri stopping off at a couple of vineyards along the way, Then I took trust in my GPS and I found my way to the Watagans. Mind you it took me the back way!! :lol:
I expected it to take me along the main route, but lucky I saw the track in a 4wd book I bought before I left, it's not very detailed for my route, but was the track I wanted. The GPS sent me along a few dodgy 4wd tracks and miles of corrugatted dirt roads, Perfect for 18psi in the tyres and locking into 4WD, a few times I had to put it into LOW and crawl through ruts, but nothing my little Suzuki couldn't handle. Beautiful scenery along the way, I stopped off a few places for a photo and meet some friendly cows and horse's. At one stage I had to stop at a farm house to make sure I was on the right track, The farmer pointed in the distance and say's, Yeah it's just over those two mountains. But I made it safely and camped the night.

When I arrived I had a gas bag to an old fella that once I got him going he just wouldn't shut up :lol:
I noticed that there was a storm brewing off in the distance. I quickly setup camp. Just as I was almost finished another car pulls up. I went over to say G'day and lend a hand, Turned out it was a couple of backpackers from New York who based themselves in Sydney and have gone to the WA and back, travelled through the Nullabour in a $600 EL Falcon that was starting to leak 2L of oil a day. They were sure glad to see I had a spare 5L bottle and knew a fair bit about cars, otherwise they would not have made it to the next town. I bought the oil that weekend on sale for $10 and they were shocked when I told them they can have it for that price. I cleaned their air filter, added some power steering stop leak, topped up their coolant, I found where the leak is coming from and gave them some good advice. Anyways It didn't rain so we had a decent fire going, they made dinner for me as a thank you, We had a few drinks and I pretended to know what I was talking about when we went looking for possums, We swapped numbers in case anything were to happen along the way, and I'll give them a guided tour of the Illawarra and Southern Highlands when they make their way to Melbourne.

I left Watagans at about 11am heading through Yengo, My GPS told me to take fire trails, roads that don't exist and "The Old Great North Road". The GPS was telling to do it, It is marked out on my maps, But after travelling only 5km in 30mins through thick scrub and rock hopping, going by myself, not knowing what to expect, Not seeing any recent tyre marks on the track, No UHF or mobile reception, I did the smart thing, turned around and stuck to the main track and got re-diverted. :lol:
Good thing I bought a Garmin Etrex before I left and made way points along the way, otherwise I'd probably still be out there.

It was about 2 or 3pm when I got back to where I started and was wondering where I was going to sleep the night. I was planned on staying in the Blue Mountains but I knew I wouldn't make it by sun down. I had a look on my map and found my way to Wiseman's Ferry.
I've never been around this area before, But I will return. Very nice. I camped at the Mill Creek Camp area, I was glad to see free fire wood and a water tank. After I setup some grey nomads turned up in a huge caravan but I told them they have to park it on the other side. :lol:
With them out of the way, I filled a bucket of water, boiled up some water, poured it in and had a very much needed nice warm shower butt naked in the bush.. ahhh nature.... FREE WILLY !!! :lol:

There is an abundant of wildlife in that area, It's not hard to get freaked out by some weird screeching off in the bush's, Especially when it's pitch black and only you. I could hear suger gliders, possums, bat's and the bloody birds. Be prepared to wake up when they do, I was up at 5:30am. Too loud, too many to ignore and fall back asleep. the fire was still smouldering so I chucked on a couple more planks and had myself a sausage breakie.
The only bad thing I can say, every hour or so you get a reminder that your not far from Sydney. Between the peaceful bird chirping, comes the roar of a twin jet engine jumbo flying overhead. It's a beautiful sound in it's own right, pure brute power, but kinda spoils the nature experience.

I was going to make my way to the Blue mountains but I heard there is a severe weather warning for the next couple of day's and I was due back today anyways. Lucky I did too.

I drove around the back way, jumped on another ferry through Sacksville and well, I had a laugh when I saw a town called Ebenezer and thought It's worth a visit, It just happens to be where Australia's oldest church is, dating back to the 1830's.

Heading my way through Windsor and around the back of Penrith, I stopped off to see Warragamba Dam, Spoke to someone who was working on it and just got back from The Hover Dam in the US.
Since I was in a Historic dam mood I went to see the Avon and Nepean Dam's.

I still had time to kill so I popped into Picton because I've always wanted to find out more about the ghost hauntings in the town. Apparently It's one of Australia's "hot spots". Unfortunatly the lady that arranged the tours passed away a few months ago. But I checked out some of the historic sites.

I then briefly jumped on the Hume to Mittagong, through Kangaloon towards Robertson, Down Macquarie Pass and

HOME...
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby markcrook » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:46 pm

Sounds a great trip Dave, really enjoyed reading about your adventures, thanks for sharing
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby welder.man » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:08 pm

Sounds like a great trip.
Simon

http://www.abbeyswelding.com.au

abbeyswelding@bigpond.com

Metal Fabrication - Welding Repairs - Wrought Iron - Sign Writing - Custom Decals
welder.man
Boy Scout

Return to Camping Tips and Locations