Advice needed for tent camping in storms!!!!!!

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Re: Advice needed for tent camping in storms!!!!!!

Postby Lost Man » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:27 pm

If you've got a large dome tent make sure you attached the velcro loops to the frame on the inside. My mate bought a $500 10 man tent. A storm came through and the some of the arch polls snapped cause the frame didn't move with the outer layer. Our cheap 6 man tend was blown so hard it was forced flat onto the gound however it still held up fine. Also make sure you have some sand pegs on hand incase your in loose soil.
Lost Man
Camping King

Postby Woodsy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:15 pm

I would probably close the tent door too... otherwise the thing may blow up like a balloon... I will see if i can find a pic of our tent in the gale force winds... i'm sure i have one somewhere..
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby caveman » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:54 am

We invested in a good tarp and plenty of poles and ropes with decent pegs and threw it over our $300 Big W special. If we know a storm is coming we drop the sides to minimise wind from getting under, secure ropes and look for any areas we may get pooling, something you need to keep an eye out for. Then we sit back and enjoy :beer and collect water at the same time.

One weekend it didi nothing but pour and walking in our tent felt like walking on a waterbed, however everyone off the floor and in stretchers so we were dry. Given that we have always weathered the storms in this manner, I guess its guarenteed we'll be blown away in the next one. :***
caveman
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:03 am

caveman wrote:We invested in a good tarp and plenty of poles and ropes with decent pegs and threw it over our $300 Big W special. If we know a storm is coming we drop the sides to minimise wind from getting under, secure ropes and look for any areas we may get pooling, something you need to keep an eye out for.

That is the best way to approach it caveman....very smart.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby sienna » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:10 am

If in doubt, you can always ride the storm out in the public toilets! And leave your mum to worry about whether or not the campervan will blow over :***
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Previous

Return to Camping Tips and Locations