New To Camping

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby HGMonaro » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:44 pm

jakko2002 wrote:hey all im new to all of this! my wife, myself and our 10 month old son are going camping at christmas down the foreshore of inverloch, in victoria. Any helpfull hints and tips would b great , we have a big 3 room tent so tents not an issue, also anyone done any fishing in the area? what do u catch or use for bait etc? cheers good camping!!

make sure you take some good insect repellant. Maybe try some on bubs before going to make sure it's compatible with him. Fishing, generally you'll use pippies, prawns, pilchards or sand worms. Should be able to snag a Brim, Flathead, Mullet and a few other things. Ask at a bait shop, they should be able to point you in the right direction of where to go.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

army issue sleeping bags

Postby Kit » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:05 pm

Hi just been reading the post from Josh about his sleeping bag. Word of warning, just because it is army issue doesn't mean its warm. Trust me I've been using them for years. I spent a weekend recently in Kowen state forest ACT at 24hr Mt Bike event and it wasn't warm enough. If the weather drops below 5 degrees over night you'll need to take a blanket and/or thick socks. Some of the places I've been I've had a tracksuit on and a blanket and socks inside my sleeping bag.

also the portable stoves and gas canisters you can pick up from kmart or a camping store are excellent for when you can't light fires or there is no cooking facility

apart from that have fun and enjoy camping even the wet trips :grin:
I had one of those once, but mine was red and the wheels feel off
Kit

Postby Woodsy » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:54 pm

I have to admit that the Army sleeping bag was not the warmest. Next time i am definatly taking warmer clothes to sleep in. Here is a pic of our first trip. Took a while to get setup as it was our first trip. I am not sure if the fly was setup correctly or not but it stayed on and the tent did'nt leak. Feel free to give me tips. We only stayed the 1 night but i will still write up a small review of the park. I am planing on getting a trailer for all our gear just a standard trailer but it will give us some room in the car.

Cheers

Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Kramer » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:42 am

Personally I usually put up the fly with poles so it stays off the tent, that way it is cooler and condensation dosen't build up on the inside as well.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby amanda » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:18 pm

Looks like a lovely spot - hopefully next time the weather will be nicer to you.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Woodsy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:41 pm

It was a nice spot.. you should of seen the sunset the night we got there. Was beautiful but i did'nt have time to get the Camera out. The gf and i are going camping the weekend of the 18th November but we are still looking for a place with showers and toilets.. well the gf is anyway. Mungo Brush i think it is called looks like a top spot... We arn't quite confident enough to venture out to a spot thats deserted so we are looking for a spot that has afew people. Any ideas?

Cheers

Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Woodsy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:29 pm

Got a Trailer!

Let the camping being!

18th November is booked in for a long weekend away. Just have to find a spot!

Cheers

Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:43 pm

:armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup

Nice trailer, brand spanker??

Thats basically what i wanna get oneday, and weld up some bar to make a frame for a canvas roof/sides.

Can i ask how much $$ it set you back??
Last edited by Ozzycamperboy on Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Woodsy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:57 pm

Yeah brand new. Thats the plan. Make a frame and a cover for it to carry even more gear! Cost me $670 plus $130 first registration. Lucky its my Birthday in 9 days so mum put up more than half of it. Picked it up this afternoon. Camping here we come! The only problem is.. my gf still wants to camp where there is hot showers and toilets... Females... lol

Cheers

Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:04 pm

With a bit of ingenuity you could dedicate a corner of that trailer to a pretty shmick shower :idea:

Make sum small baffles to keep the waste water in the designated corner and drill a small drain hole that leads to a bucket :idea: faaar out, now I'm gunna havta do that, would be awesome :armsup
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Woodsy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:27 pm

Geez don't go nuts lol. Maybe make up a frame to have a shower on the side of it. I will definetly be putting a frame and cover on it.

Cheers

Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:36 pm

TUFF wrote:Geez don't go nuts lol. Maybe make up a frame to have a shower on the side of it. I will definetly be putting a frame and cover on it.

Cheers

Josh

haha true... what about that space on the drawbar?? that wont be really usefull, could make a nice littlw shower there :mrgreen:
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Woodsy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:43 pm

It will hold the spare tyre :P I will be making afew adjustments to things. Might need afew ideas though.

Cheers

Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby HGMonaro » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:48 am

nice tie down rails! I got some front and rear and they come in real handy for securely tieing stuff like planks down.

P.S. tell GF you'll throw a bucket of water on her for a shower!
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Komodo » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:09 pm

hot shower =

20 litre paint tin (alot of places have these and throw them out structural steel fabricators will drain about 2 perday minimum)
fire place (or 3 ring burner if no fires allowed)
and an electric 12V shower rose availible from any camping store for about $50 works a charm ;)

just remember camp showers are to be quick I find that I turn the shower on then turn it off soap up then turn it back on to was the soap off - saves a Dagnabbit's load of water.

If you need a little dignity then for about $60 you can get a shower tent other wither a few posts into the ground with a tarp around 3 sides works well too ;)

Trailer looks good - have fun ;)
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Tips and Locations