camping shops perth

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

camping shops perth

Postby rua » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:16 am

hi there

can anyone tell me which are the best camping stores in perth

thank you

linda
rua

Re: camping shops perth

Postby markcrook » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:03 pm

Hi Linda,

Welcome to the forum.

Depends what you are looking for? For good advice on equipment etc you cant go past BCF. If you know what you want and are prepared to haggle then Ranger are always good (you can usually get a good deal if spending a bit more as I have heard thay always have loads of stock they are trying to shift). We have only bought stuff from Anaconda and Rays outdoor at the caravan and camping show and we always find camping world a bit more expensive.

Where abouts in Perth are you? We live in Baldivis - and cant wait for the new freeway to open on Sunday as it will make our trips down south quicker and easier. Hoping to got to Bunbury the public holiday weekend if it warms up and we can get into a CP.

Mark
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby CampGrrlz » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:02 pm

Just in general, disposals stores often have good quality goods at cheaper than the franchise prices. Example is the Australian made gear the local-to-me disposals store stocks. Well worth a roam around if any are handy. Often a bit cramped but gems await discovery.

Best regards and welcome to the forum :grin:

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby rua » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:11 am

hi there

we are flying into perth mid - december, we are going to spend about 8 weeks touring wa and then we are moving to new zealand, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are looking for a one stop shop for all our camping gear, and any tips on must visit campsites would be great.

linda
rua

Postby markcrook » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:49 am

Hi Linda,

Are you looking at hiring a car? What sort of set up are you looking for, basic, family etc. What area's are you hoping to visit or things to see? Are you wanting the convienince and facilities of Caravan Parks or more basic and bush sites?

You are heading into WA around the time of the school holidays, so may struggle to get into Caravan Parks, I know for Christmas, New Year and the school holidays they get full pretty quick. If you don't need power then you have more of a chance.

That time of year you are also probably better heading south of Perth, go via Mandurah (fantastic town on the estuary, boat hire, dolphins - the foreshore), Bunbury & Bussleton (on Geographe bay - more Dolphins, the longest Jetty in the Southern Hemisphere), Dunsborough, Yallingup & Margaret River (part of the Margaret River wine region, great surf, loads of wineries, great food & loads to do), Pemberton (Karri forrests, train), then on to the South Coast - Walpole & Denmark (tree top walk) Albany & Esperance (great history, whaling - not now). Have a look here - http://www.australiassouthwest.com/en/P ... fault.aspx

Not so much to do if you head North but some fantastic scenery and it will be getting hot.

If you fly into Perth the closest Camping shops for one hit are BCF in Midland and Myaree or Ranger in Bentley or Canning Vale. You are also fairly close to the Swan Valley which is worth a couple of nights to visit.

Just let us know if you want anymore info on sites or places to visit

Mark
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby rua » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:02 am

hi mark

yes we will be wanting to rent a car, do you have any suggestions of car hire companies. We have a house booked in quinns rock for christmas week but apart from that it will be camping in unpowered sites. Is it possible to book unpowered sites, the must sees for my kids are the monkey mia and the kalbarri reef and the big trees down south.

regards

linda
rua

Postby markcrook » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:14 pm

Linda, if you don’t mind me asking but where are you coming from?

For car hire I would recommend either No Birds (Bayswater car Rental) http://www.bayswatercarrental.com.au or M2000 http://www.m2000car.com.au/
We have either used these ourselves or had friends/family use them.

To drive from Perth to Monkey Mia takes about 10 hours and Kalbarri is 7 hours – to be honest apart from the dolphins and beach/scenery there isn’t a lot to do in Monkey Mia. In December/January the average temperature is 35-37°C.

Kalbarri is a small town on the Estuary of the Murchison River, again apart from fishing, the beach etc not a lot to do, very much a kick back and relax place. You can get boats trips up the river gorge, which is stunning – but temperatures in the gorge can reach 45°C in the summer.

I have never heard of Kalbarri reef – do you mean Ningaloo?

The tall trees are in the Karri forests about 3 hours south of Perth and are easily accessible from Pemberton.

To be honest I would avoid heading North at that time of year because of the heat especially if in a tent and would look at my previous suggestions of the South West. But at the end of the day the decision is yours. Most people from Perth will head south in the summer to find the cooler weather.

You can have a dolphin encounter similar to that at Monkey Mia, in Bunbury at the Dolphin discovery centre http://dolphins.mysouthwest.com.au .

If you are looking for unpowered sites you shouldn’t have to book most of the time, but if you are in the tent New years eve then try to plan where you want to be and book something.

I have added some pictures from our travels -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Return to Gear Guide