How to buy a NSW registret car in NT?

Let’s hear about all those weekend toys for the boys (and girls) boats, skis, camper trailers, motor homes, 4wheel drives OK even airplanes (again add the make and model to the title we will organise as it gets unmanageable).

How to buy a NSW registret car in NT?

Postby Freelance » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:05 am

Hi,
I (a danish guy) am about to buy a car in NT with NSW plates on it. I would like to keep the NSW plates on the car because I plan to sell it in NSW. Are there any possibility to do the change of name on the registration by mail, post or phone? The car has a pretty new rego renewed by fax and phone. The only thing I could find were if you have a NSW licence and NSW adress, wich I don't have.
Do you know any ways or shortcutsto do that?

If I want to be a member of a car owner club, which will be the best for me to sign in? I will be travelling in NT, WA, SA and NSW)

Thanks in advance for your help.
Best
Rasmus
Freelance
Camping King

Re: How to buy a NSW registret car in NT?

Postby Cheiffy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:15 am

Freelance wrote:Hi,
I (a danish guy) am about to buy a car in NT with NSW plates on it. I would like to keep the NSW plates on the car because I plan to sell it in NSW. Are there any possibility to do the change of name on the registration by mail, post or phone? The car has a pretty new rego renewed by fax and phone. The only thing I could find were if you have a NSW licence and NSW adress, wich I don't have.
Do you know any ways or shortcutsto do that?

If I want to be a member of a car owner club, which will be the best for me to sign in? I will be travelling in NT, WA, SA and NSW)

Thanks in advance for your help.
Best
Rasmus

I have copied the following from the RTA website. After reading this, you may wish to reconsider buying a vehicle register in another state. Otherwise, you could reregister the vehicle in the NT. Just make sure it passes its roadworthy first.

Buying or selling a vehicle
When you buy a vehicle
Before you buy a vehicle, you should check the registration and CTP insurance details of the vehicle via myRTA or phone the RTA Contact Centre on 13 22 13. You must transfer the registration into your name within 14 days of the vehicle coming into your possession or management.

You'll need to visit a motor registry with:

Proof of identity, or if you're registering the vehicle in the name of a company or organisation, proof that the company or organisation is a legal entity.
Proof of entitlement to register the vehicle. If the vehicle is to be registered in another person's name, a letter of authorisation must be provided detailing the name and address of the person to be recorded as the registered operator. A registered operator may or may not be the owner of the vehicle.
A completed Application for Transfer form.
And you may need to pay:

Transfer fee.
Stamp duty (unless exempt).
Additional motor vehicle tax (or national heavy vehicle charges) if you have bought your vehicle from someone receiving an RTA concession (such as a pensioner) and you are not eligible for that concession.
Late transfer surcharge. A surchage will be applied to customers who fail to transfer the registration within 14 days of the date of acquisition.
If you have an E-Tag you should also update your number plate details with your tag provider.

Transferring and Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance
A vehicle's existing CTP insurance will be automatically transferred when the registration is transferred. You don't need to do anything about CTP insurance until the registration is due for renewal.

Please sir, Can I have some more? Time off that is.

"Hard at it"
Fruit Bat Falls, Cape York
Cheiffy
Captain Camping

Postby Freelance » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:19 pm

Hi,
Thanks, I have found that, but I hoped that you could do it by mail or so. I have heard that it would be possible to do with WA-plates, so hoped to do the same with NSW plates.

Any ideas would be appriciated.
Thanks
Rasmus
Freelance
Camping King

Postby Freelance » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:32 pm

Hi again
Just another question, what does it takes to get NT-plates on a car? I recon it has to go a trip to the mechanic and then to the motor vehicle center (or what it is called)? If the car is ok, what would i cost to get the new plates on the car?

Best
Rasmus
Freelance
Camping King

Return to Recreation Vehicles