Has anyone camped at Blanket Bay?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Has anyone camped at Blanket Bay?

Postby Young Camping Family » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:47 am

I was just checking out some places to camp in the upcoming warmer weather, and came across Blanket Bay.
I am looking at applying for the ballot to get a site there during January - mostly cos it guarantees the site - otherwise it's first in best dressed.
Has anyone stayed there and knows anything about it?
All I'm going on is the Parks Victoria website information, which looks/sounds good.
Keep in mind we have a 4yr old and a 5 month old.
I would go check it out but the fact that it's a 3-4hr drive away kind of puts me off that idea!

Rachel.
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Re: Has anyone camped at Blanket Bay?

Postby CampGrrlz » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:21 pm

Well, I never did hear of an geographical place called Blanket Bay! It's what we say sometimes when going to bed - "going to Blanket Bay" ;) one day maybe, if I find my way to Victoria ... it'd be nice to catch up with the real BB!

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:38 pm

CampGrrlz wrote:Well, I never did hear of an geographical place called Blanket Bay! It's what we say sometimes when going to bed - "going to Blanket Bay" Elaine

I only know that as being the 'Blanket Show' E.....least that is what it was called when I was growing up.

Cheers G.....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby CampGrrlz » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:21 pm

A lot of these throw-away semi-traditional sayings vary from place to place and probably from generation to generation.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby slug » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:42 pm

Have been there a few times and camped just the once. We were there in November one year i think, a few other campers but not packed which it will be over christmas and easter.

The best sites are a stairway from the beach but there are plenty set back a bit. Small areas for your car and tent with a small trail leading to a communal type eating area, tables, fireplace etc. Im not sure that your allowed to take caravans or camper trailers, just not much room, if thats an issue for you. From memory there were long drop toilets and water taps.

Its a great spot, good luck for the ballot!
slug
Captain Camping

Postby Young Camping Family » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:41 am

Thanks slug, from reading on the parks website it sounds great, just wanted to make sure that it was worth the trip :)
They have 22 camping sites, so hopefully it won't be too crowded.
I was going to request close to the beach, but thought that everyone would be walking past so maybe over the back might be better? We only have a tent so access isn't an issue, although it says there is a few suitable for a CT - not caravan.
I think we'll apply and hopefully we get it! Wonder just how popular it is, if we are likely to get the time we want?
I like the sound of the sheltered beach - especially with the kids.

~Ray.
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Postby slug » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:33 am

Id definantly ask for the closer ones, the walkways from memory dont go through your camp, but definantly near it, so if you really want privacy it might not be for you.

To be honest ive never tried for the ballot but as far as i know it is full for the time period, but all you can do is put your name down and hope, maybe a back up spot just in case.
slug
Captain Camping

Return to Camping Tips and Locations