Where's everyone going camping this summer?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Re: Where's everyone going camping this summer?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:00 am

I am heading off to there next month for a few days and quite looking forward to it. Don't normally do CPs but this will be an exception.

Let me know what you think of it when you return caveman.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby dea » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:33 pm

we just got back from a week at happy hallidays CP .. was great kids loved it .. doing a week at coolumunda dam in jan & doing australia day weekend at janowen 4wd park ... was suppossed to go to nerum crk innov but freinds pulled out so we going to my brothers instead to get CT all wired up ...
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:43 pm

Bestbrook is out that way too and seems a very popular family campground.
http://www.bestbrook.com.au/

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Tanks1966 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:47 pm

After many years of camping my favourite spots to go anywhere along the murray river. Having said that, its far too hot there over summer. But, I'm booked into a resort in Moama thats on the banks of the murray for 11 days in Janaury. III only camp, Easter, September School Holidays and Melb Cup weekend if the boiler has the Monday off.

Cheers
Tanks1966
Boy Scout

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:58 pm

We are going for a week from Boxing Day to Deniliquin on the banks of the Edwards River.

Have booked into a powered grassed riverfront site at the Big 4 and it looks great. :armsup

We are staying with my parents who have a caravan and my brother who is staying in a cabin with his wife and kids but is bringing his ski boat so hoping there will be enough water in the river as they have a slalom ski park (with jump) in front of the park. If not we will just fish and relax. :cheers

Will also hopefully get in an bush overnighter before then as we get our new CT end of Nov and will have to give it a trial run before Xmas hols ::)

All this talk of holidays is making me very impatient..... we only get one big holiday a year as we own our own business and getting away for more than a weekend is difficult.
Will just keep going through the camping stuff getting ready to keep me busy until then. :-bang
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby mr_grumble » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:48 pm

Tanks1966 wrote:I'm booked into a resort in Moama thats on the banks of the murray for 11 days in Janaury.

We stayed at the same resort in Moama a few weeks ago, two days before our houseboat trip and two days after.

Fantastic place, especially if you have kids. If you can, arrange to stay in one of the (6) units next to the waterpark, one of the best waterparks I've seen.

Good meals can be had at the Moama Bowling Club, again, also great with the kids, they have their own activities room, just sign them in and forget for an hour or so :armsup
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Bradd » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:32 pm

Sept School holidays trip over, stayed at Paradise Beach (Paradise for the mozzies) for 9 days.
With Wife & my kids 2.5/13/15 yo + 6/8 yo Nephews + Mum/Dad & their Yorkshire terrier
Google Map of Area

First couple of days = nice weather, but by the time we left there were
flood warnings for some of the rivers around there. (not quite beach weather)

Anyway, Melbourne Cup weekend looks like a goer for the 4 days, heading to
Mt Buangor State Park

And the first discussions of a summer holidays trip looks like Stayplton Campground in the Grampians NP
with Wife & my 3, Brother and his 2 with plans to do some rock climbing at the nearby climbs in the NP
and at Mount Arapiles-Tooan State Park State Park and some canoeing / kayaking if there is any water in the lakes / reservoirs.
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby cokebottle » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:21 pm

We are going to Wee Jasper (near Yass, NSW) next week for a one week stay, expect a full report on our return :cheers

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:27 am

Look forward to hearing about Wee Jasper Michael.

We are thinking about going there for a weekend stay hopefully before Xmas with another couple and their CT and kids to test run our new CT. :armsup

The boys were going to do a one nighter there in the back of the ute to check it out first, so it will be good to hear what you thought of it.

Where are you camping? (campgrounds or CP)
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:00 am

"We are going to Wee Jasper (near Yass, NSW) next week for a one week stay, expect a full report on our return "

Haven't vistited for a while and haven't checked all forums yet. Did you report on this? I am very keen to go there this season.

We're definitely going to Mystery Bay (NSW South Coast) again this christmas, probably from 18 Dec till 3 Jan. Well, I'm pretty sure anyway. :) I have no problem with last minute change of plans. You cannot book there anyway.

First weekend of November we'll be in Mimosa Rocks National Park for 5 days. It may be the first time we camp somewhere where you cannot camp right next to the car. Sounds tiring, but there'll be plenty of people to help and I hope it'll be worth it.

And yeah, Wee Jasper for some long weekends I think.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby cokebottle » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:32 am

xmasbaby67 wrote:Look forward to hearing about Wee Jasper Michael.

We are thinking about going there for a weekend stay hopefully before Xmas with another couple and their CT and kids to test run our new CT. :armsup

The boys were going to do a one nighter there in the back of the ute to check it out first, so it will be good to hear what you thought of it.

Where are you camping? (campgrounds or CP)

Someone on here mentioned that they had been there so i googled it & thought "why not"

We are staying at the camping ground, unpowered "primitive" as they say on the website, have rang them a couple of times to get the local info on ice/fuel etc, can get ice/bread/milk from wedensday to friday from the local tavern, no fuel/shopping in the valley, so will need to go to Tumut (1hr) or Yass (45min)

I will be testing out my solar panel i bought from kmart, so far tests at home appear promising, charged a small gel cell battery very well with only patchy sunlight yesterday.

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby Jo&Kev » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:11 am

Michael/Lin

The Wee Jasper suggestion was probably me!

We live at Yass, and have never camped there. We do go down there fairly regularly for a picnic or to events. I haven't been across to Tumut that way for about 6 months or so and the road was OK, but it is unsealed between Wee Jasper and Tumut and varies in condition with the weather. The road from Yass is mostly sealed and is usually a quicker and easier run. Fuel, food and ice will all be available 7 days in Yass, not sure about Tumut, but more than likely 7 days as well. I heard the store was for sale but didn't realise it had been shut. Rumors around town were that it was going to do a holiday trade. Maybe not!

It gets quite busy down there at Christmas as the locals head from Yass, Canberra etc down there. Having said that mostly they look for places with facilities like Billy Grace Reserve. It can get hot (and very cold) but it is a beautiful place, and there is heaps to do down there, particularly if you plan on a visit to the caves and a visit to the fossil trail!

And best of all the reserves are pet friendly so you don't have to leave part of the family at home.

Enjoy one of the best kept secrets of the region.
Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby cokebottle » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:18 pm

Jo&Kev wrote:Michael/Lin
The Wee Jasper suggestion was probably me!

It gets quite busy down there at Christmas as the locals head from Yass, Canberra etc down there. Having said that mostly they look for places with facilities like Billy Grace Reserve. It can get hot (and very cold) but it is a beautiful place,

Yep I think it was your suggestion Kev! we are looking forward to checking the area out, Carey's Cave is definitely on the list!

I am also taking my inflatable canoe, hoping the river is high enough for a paddle!

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby Jo&Kev » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:11 pm

Given the amount of rain we have had over the past month or so there should be plenty of water down there.
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Lin » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:00 pm

Looks like our plans are about to change. We just got invited to join a few friends at this place near Port Stephens: http://www.melaleucabackpackers.com.au/ Has anyone been there?

It would mean we can go spend Xmas with friends near The Entrance and then drive down after and spend a week there. Very different camping to what I normally like. Most of the places we go to have no amenities apart from pit toilets and sometimes taps. And I must admit I like being feral! But having a few good friends for company would be nice. The biggest downside is that we cannot take the dog. If our usual dogsitter can take her, she herself probably won't mind because she doesn't really seem to enjoy camping all that much. I think she's a bit autistic actually. lol

If we do this, then we'll go to Mystery Bay the last week of January when it will hopefully be slightly less busy than over Xmas.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Tips and Locations