Camping Community

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Should Camping start a social community.

Yes it would suit me.
25%
No I like the forum platform.
51%
It really does not matter to me as long as it is easy to use.
25%

Total votes : 77

Camping Community

Postby Activity_Dept » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:07 am

This is in response to the Facebook Topic, I had to start a new Topic to add a poll.

We have been looking at how to evolve this forum into a stronger community. We have close to 10,000 people in the forum but for one reason or another many have simply moved on. We have one of the largest information pools, some great chit chat and topics and some solid members (thank you) but I think its time for a more comprehensive platform. Joining facebook is simply going to split the community again I must say I know of at least 6 break away forums that have started up from this forum for one reason or another and many have migrated to the larger 4x4 or explorer type forums but I think its time to find a solution where people can grow their own networks within the community but still be an active part of the community.

We are currently reviewing a couple of software solutions that we hope will allow this and we will keep you posted.

Your comments are most welcome.

:beer
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Re: Camping Community

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:09 pm

I don't 'facebook'... I don't 'twitter'...

Campers seem to come, ask a question and then go camping...
Caravaners (I'm one) talk a lot about nothing or the same old, same old!
As do 4WDers (yes, I'm one of them too!)

So, I'm happy for the forum to have lower traffic of sensible on-topic questions. YMMV!
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:58 pm

I prefer the forum platform to Facebook.

I do have Facebook but it's only to keep up with friends that live out of town or O/S and rellies.

I think this forum is great and managable and easy to get around, going to Facebook it would be massive and depersonalise it. I have found everything I need to in this forum, and if it's not here you just need to ask the question and you have a answer which is fabulous. I think making it bigger won't make it better.

I am relatively newish to camping and am still finding out about stuff, some things are a bit out of my league and way too technical, but it's all here. It's also good to be able to make a contribution even though I an a newbie.

I am a firm believer of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" but also embrace change if warranted.

I like the family type feel to this forum it's great. Keep up the great work :+ :+ :+
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:54 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:I prefer the forum platform to Facebook.

I am a firm believer of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I like the family type feel to this forum it's great. Keep up the great work :+ :+ :+

I agree with what has been said so far.....yes I do have FB but for personal reasons and prefer to keep it that way.

I also think that what has also been said by HGM...people come and get their info and then move on...it's just the nature of forums.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:20 pm

I am more likely to see posts on Facebook than on here. And the "less relevant" posts won't really bother me there either as it's that kind of medium and you don't have to click on anything to read them, they're just there and if they don't interest you, you just skip to the next one.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if Facebook would allow you to easily browse older topics for advice?
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby amanda » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:13 am

I have been on Facebook but haven't actively used it since December because to me it became a chore I had to do. This forum on the other hand is a pleasure that I really enjoy. I agree that being small it has a lovely feel to it, and the other posters are like friends to me now, and I value their input and advice and enjoy their humour and sense of fun. I would hate to see that feeling vanish because it became too large and impersonal like so many others.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby knoath » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:16 am

I'm 40 now ( :( ) and I stay away from those FB and Twatter things.... I much prefer forums as they are easier (for me) to follow and search for info on.
As I recently missed out on a 4x4, the missus wants to keep things as they are, so it's 2wd camping from now.
I don't need the 4x4 section, but it's good to keep it for those that do and don't want a full blown 4x4 forum where camping is the sub section.
There's plenty of hardcore 4x4 forums, but this is the best camping forum, so keep it up guys!!!
Also good to see the caravan section, as you cater for them too.
There's the recipe section too, ...also handy (love the zip lock ommelettes!!!)

Basically, there's a bit of info on all to do with camping.

I say keep it going as it is, there's a real community feel you get with a forum like this!

Thanks,
Old Fart. :***
knoath
Captain Camping

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:00 am

What's with this "Old Fart" stuff knoath!!!!!

I'm 41 nudging 42 and definately don't feel like an old fart (even tho I may look like one) :***

Dont be so hard on yourself :+
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:31 pm

I use FB to keep in touch with friends.

I try not to join groups on it as it clogs my wall up with posts that I really don't care about.

Keep it as a Forum ;) It has so many functions that FB doesn't have.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Pauly » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:10 pm

2 totally differant setups. I like a forum like this its easy to see whats new etc, face book is more for day to day friend stuff. I would imagine trying to organise a trip via facebook would be impossible same as checking on older posts etc.

Im a member of several forums including the larger 4wd ones, I dont go there much now because there too busy and clicky. Fishing sites are similar to this people come and go, move on or break into other groups. Any forum needs a really good core group that are very active to make up for the lookers and to hopefully get the lookers to post.

Keeping a steady flow of new members is the chore. I joined that group on facebook about 6 months ago and im still the only 1 to post on it, whats the answer, who would know.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby Golden_Daydreamer » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:19 am

Although I'm on here most days (err, that should read nights), I don't post very often.

However, if you go from a forum format to Facebook or Twitter then you've lost me for good.
Cheers,
Henry (Golden_Daydreamer)

The only stupid question is the question that is not asked.
Golden_Daydreamer
Camping King

Postby knoath » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:31 am

Wh
at's with this "Old Fart" stuff knoath!!!!!
I'm 41 nudging 42 and definately don't feel like an old fart (even tho I may look like one)
Dont be so hard on yourself

He he... I meant the way I live these days... I don't like to complicate things when I'm supposed to be making life easier!!!
I heard the Queen of Melbourne (Lavinia Nixon) say on the radio yesterday that with all the spare time we're supposed to have thanks to all the electronic gizmos, the more we fill it with electronic gizmos!

I'd rather not involve myself with i-pods and i-phones and Facebook or Twitter when I have a radio and a phone already!!!

No wonder people don't know how to relax anymore!
knoath
Captain Camping

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:48 am

Agreed. The younger ones now spend so much time Facebooking and Twittering etc that they are losing the ability to actually talk to people face to face & for this wanting everything now and on a platter.....reality check needed!!! ::()

I must be a serious contender for mother of the year :*** as we only have the internet on at the office not at home and my kids can't have a mobile until they turn 14!!!! ::() ::()
So far so good my kids still play outside with each other and can have a normal conversation with anyone...... and looovvvee camping bush style with a campfire, marshmallows etc... ::)
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:49 am

And my kids are nearly 17, 14 & 11.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:29 am

posted twice...so have deleted one.
Last edited by GypsyLady on Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat