Camping Community

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Should Camping start a social community.

Yes it would suit me.
25%
No I like the forum platform.
51%
It really does not matter to me as long as it is easy to use.
25%

Total votes : 77

Re: Camping Community

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:30 am

CONGRATULATIONS on a great achievement xmasbaby67
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Activity_Dept » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:35 pm

Well firstly its great to get some feedback on the subject so thank you for that. Next we are not looking at Facebook or Twitter but simply a more social platform i.e. pic and video sharing and a wider range of topics.

I agree with the point about being an intimate community and I certainly don't want to change that, however the problem is we need sponsors. We have approached Coleman (who won't even grace us with a reply) and numerous others, parks etc. but the upshot is we do not have the numbers to warrant any form of sponsorship. We have thousands looking but very few participating. So we need to strike that balance between a resource pool and an active forum.

I think expanding our Topic range is a good idea and I think the software we were looking at can widen the scope of people, offer a more interactive service and as it is map based it allows park and area reviews which may get the parks themselves a little more engaged. It can provide more location centric information, better pics and video and attract a wider range of interests i.e. family camping, touring, holidaying etc. but I completely understand about keeping this 'our intimate community'.

So given a little more insight into what we are looking at what are your feelings?

What I might do if we proceed is email out a link to the new application, perhaps try it and see if you like it, if it grows on you we can look at integrating it. But don't worry we have a long way to go yet this is likely after Christmas.

OK let me know your thoughts.

Thank you,

:beer
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:56 pm

Activity_Dept wrote:
What I might do if we proceed is email out a link to the new application, perhaps try it and see if you like it, if it grows on you we can look at integrating it. But don't worry we have a long way to go yet this is likely after Christmas.

OK let me know your thoughts.

Thank you,

I personally am a little reluctant to change the current format which we know works....however I am also happy to have a look at the trial you are suggesting.

Cheers....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Pauly » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:10 am

Numbers is the problem, too many its busy not enough its slow. Do you know of anywhere using the platform you are suggesting, previewing it might make it easier.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:53 am

I agree with gypsy.

Love this format but I am also willing to have a look at the idea suggested.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Blue Bravo » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:23 pm

Whats a Facebook anyhow :?
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby dea » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:20 pm

i really enjoy this forum as it is... i do have facebook more for freinds family i dont do grps on there ..
i have gotten some very good advice & love seeing where everyone goes camping at .... dont change it .. its perfect as it is ....
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby Young Camping Family » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:14 pm

I'm not prepared to post where I'm going and when on a personal site like FB. I prefer the annonimity (?) of a forum.
My FB is for my personal friends that I already have met and know.
Forums are for those acquaintances that are a useful source of information and issue/topic specific - eg. I'm on this camping forum, I have 2 general mother's group forums plus a restricted access mother's forum, hobby forums, etc.
It's easier to type a lot of information on a forum whereas FB seems to be directed at one to one conversations.

Ray.
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:35 pm

Young Camping Family wrote:
I prefer the annonimity (?) of a forum.

Ray.

I especially like this medium for the very same reason....it is not that I have anything to hide, I just like my anonymity when the forum is open to the public…..worldwide.

I think it is easy to forget just how public this and other open forums are. Chatting with online friends often breeds a false sense of security.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Bill snd Morag » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:49 pm

Like others here we use FB for friends and family and thats it.
We check this forum almost daily but do not post much.
We would hate to see it go the way of a type of FB...
Bill and Morag
Bill snd Morag
Captain Camping

Postby Lin » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:55 pm

Would there be any other free forum applications that would be better? I'm on an Ezboard one which is similar but may have some extra features. It is free if you allow ads. But you can pay a fairly small sum of money to get rid of them which also allows you to have private forums etc... The members of the forum I mentioned voluntarily contribute to that every year, to keep the board free of ads.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GoldCoast » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:41 am

Activity_Dept wrote:Well firstly its great to get some feedback on the subject so thank you for that. Next we are not looking at Facebook or Twitter but simply a more social platform i.e. pic and video sharing and a wider range of topics.

Have you looked at Google Wave?

It has pics, video, Google maps, polls and lots more.
Sharing can be public, invite only groups or private.

Google Wave accounts are invite only at the moment like gmail was when it was introduced and probably won't be available to everyone until late next year.

I'm not suggesting moving to Google Wave but it's something to be aware of.
GoldCoast
Boy Scout

Postby AussieSunset » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:39 pm

Well i like the sound of what Camping wants to do. I think he means it's just a added on peice and the forums will stay the same i think, but if you want to have a look for other info ie. camp spot with pic's or even vid's you can have access to that too all within the one site. Is that right? Well that what i understand from what Camping wants to do. Nothing much to do with FB or Twitter at all.
Sounds good to me. And if it gets the sponsers in to help with the costs of running and more up-to-date camp info, it can only improve the site as a whole.

Thats my take on it 8)
Life is what happens when you've made other plans. :)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby melvy » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:08 am

I'll give the application a go! Love the map idea. I'd love to be able to check out a map and have links to reviews, info, photos, even camping stores,

Agree Facebook would be useless.
melvy

Postby ck10_9 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:43 am

Too many places of work have facebook banned also - you may find less people log on

Australia Daily Photo Blog - Great images of the land down under
http://australiadailyphoto.blogspot.com/
ck10_9
Captain Camping

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit-Chat