Wee Jasper - Billy Grace Reserve

Wee Jasper - Billy Grace Reserve

Postby cokebottle » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:39 pm

We went to Wee Jasper (near Yass) last week, we stayed at the Billy Grace Reserves & it was great! weather was woeful, we got to Yass on Monday & had to stay at the caravan park due to very heavy rain....

Setup the tent at Wee Jasper on Tuesday with sunny patches & just got the tent up & down came the rain, this continued on & off all week until Friday when we had a hot sunny day so we packed up & headed off to Careys Caves & then home.

The Billy Grace reserve was excellent, 2 hot showers & flush toilets, we setup our tent on the river bank & due to the weather we were the only campers there most of the time!

You can't knock the price either, only $7.50 per adult per night & kids under 15 free!

Despite the inclement weather we managed to check out the valley, we went to Micalong Creek reserve, which is very basic, only one cold shower, also took a trip along the dirt road to Tumut in pouring rain & dodging timber trucks :shock:

Careys Caves is a must see! because there was only a small group & the guide was running late we ended up having a 3 hour tour of the caves system!

We would not hesitate in going there again! (hopefully better weather next time)

Web links:

http://www.weejaspercaves.com/

http://www.weejasperreserves.com.au/AbouthTheReserves.htm

Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Re: Wee Jasper - Billy Grace Reserve

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:18 pm

Thanks Michael for such a great report and photos.

We were looking to go there on one of our next weekend trips as its only about 2-3 hours from us and your posting has made it a massive YES!!!!!

Can't wait it looks fantastic :+
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:28 am

Yes, thanks! I am very keen to go too and will probably go for a weekend the end of November. According to Google maps, it's a 1hr 50mins drive for us, so very doable to leave on Friday arvo and come back Sunday.

And I'm glad to hear that there are several options too. Toilet block and playground (especially that!) would be nice, but if it gets too busy, I'd be happy to do without and camp at Micalong Creek.

Can't wait!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jo&Kev » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:20 pm

Glad you liked it Michael. Loved your pics on Facebook too. Micalong Creek is a pretty, if quirky place, but probably nicer when it is dry! The swimming hole and cascades would be pretty nice after the recent rain.

Lin - that sounds a bit conservative to me. It takes me about 50 minutes from Civic to home, and we are in Yass at the start of the road to Wee Jasper. (I'm a public servant and do the trip daily.) It's less than an hour from here down. Billy Grace reserve has the only hot water showers down there, but the Ranger doesn't mind if you camp at one of the reserves without hot water and toddle down for a hot shower. You can come across via Brindabella Rd, through the ranges, but it can be a bit rough in places, and fairly muddy/slippery after rain. It's a logging track so it's relatively well maintained most of the time.

For those with furry families, they are welcome too!

I'd encourage everyone to come visit our beautiful part of the world.
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Lin » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:41 pm

That sounds even better then.

I'll definitely be taking my dog. She will love the creek. We tend to mostly go camping by the beach and even though I can got her to retrieve sticks from the surf occasionally, she's not particularly a beach dog: not enough shade and too noisy.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby smiththenovice » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:17 am

:+ beautiful...when can I go?
smiththenovice
Captain Camping

Postby Lin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:01 pm

We're going the weekend of 21 November! :?#
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:08 am

That's great Lin..... :+ :+

Can't wait to go there but looks like it will be after Xmas :cry:

Looking forward to hearing how it all goes this time... hope you have a great time and take some photos to post here to show us how great a time you had :?#
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby cokebottle » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:11 am

I plan to go there again & take my 4 kids there as soon as I can, going to try to get some more time off in the xmas school holidays ;)

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby Lin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:49 pm

We are still going to Wee Jasper, but I am very dissapointed about the no campfires policy. I emailed them to confirm this and got told they were following the advice from the rural fire service.

All other places where I go camping - some very close to where they just recently had significant bush fires - will allow fires.

I would never light a fire if there is a total fire ban, but I actually feel somewhat offended that someone would not trust me enough to manage a campfire when camping on an average spring day.

I won't go there very often for that reason. I'd rather drive a bit further to Mystery Bay where campfires are allowed. It's just not the same camping withouth them. Especially not out that way where it probably cools down considerably at night.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:28 pm

Lin wrote:
I actually feel somewhat offended that someone would not trust me enough to manage a campfire

Don't take it personally Lin.....remember not everyone is as diligent as you and therein lies the problem.

Most probably at some time someone has abused the privilege and we all have to now pay the price for it
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:33 pm

Sorry, it was probably quite childish to phrase it like that. I was just very dissapointed.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:00 pm

Yes i too love a fire and my blood boils when i still see smokers throw butts out the car window, but when you look at the recent fires,lose of property,life, flora and fauna you can`t blame them for being careful...agree with gypsy most seasoned campers are shall we say "Fire Aware " but sometimes there is someone that is careless.Doesn`t worry me in warm weather if i don`t have a fire it`s those chilly winter nights i love one.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:48 pm

Poodle Jewel wrote:Doesn`t worry me in warm weather if i don`t have a fire it`s those chilly winter nights i love one.

I agree PJ....don't have a campfire unless it is cool and then really love it. I use heat beads if I want to use the camp oven in the warmer months.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:27 pm

Lin

The advice provided by the RFS is based on the limited number of ways out of the area if there is a fire emergency. There is only one sealed way in/out and it is a fairly 'slow road.' If there is a serious fire people leaving the area can create difficulties for the approaching RFS trucks. They descend quickly from the Yass direction and the road is quite narrow and windy.

The bushfire fighting resources in the area are limited and with the dispersed nature of the campsites down there, a couple of small outbreaks at the campsites could result in fires spreading quickly to WJ township, and potentially causing significant environmental damage in the area. I haven't been down there for a while, but I was down at Good Hope today and it could best be described as tinder dry. It would most likely be the same further down at WJ. As for being cold or cool at night, being in a valley there is often no breeze, so the warm air sits down there. This dries the area out considerably.

The good folks who run the campsites in the WJ are interested in ensuring visitors have a safe and pleasant time when they are in the valley and are keen for visitors to come back.

There is more to the decision than not trusting an individual, there are a lot of things that go into the advice, particularly when an area is as unique as WJ and the locals are keen to preserve the environment and their likelihoods. I would suggest that it is the same or similar in other places as well.

Cheers
Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Next

Return to NSW