Sleeping bag rating

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: Sleeping bag rating

Postby Young Camping Family » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:21 pm

I've just bought 2 Roman "nightowl" 5oC hooded sleeping bags online from Deals Direct for $39.95ea (+ postage).
I'm guessing they are old stock that somewhere is trying to get rid of, but I'm not that into fashion :lol:
Was the right price and the sort of rating we were after, and this one was 10cm wider than the 10oc bag. Should be nice and roomy.
Will inform as to performance after christmas holidays :D

Rachel.
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:46 pm

I haven't checked recently but you used to be able to get bags around that price/rating and even cheaper from K-mart/Big W :mrgreen:

Think I (well, my parents) paid around $20 for my first sleeping bag, from Big W, and it's still in use over a decade later ::() .
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Blue Bravo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:01 pm

I have some doubts as to the ratings being accurate. The firms that give the ratings are also the ones who believe 6 people can fit into a tiny dome tent!!!!
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Young Camping Family » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:51 am

Blue Bravo wrote:I have some doubts as to the ratings being accurate. The firms that give the ratings are also the ones who believe 6 people can fit into a tiny dome tent!!!!

:lol: I've often wondered how those 6 people would get out - especially if you are on the opposite side to the door...

I did check at Big W yesterday (just to reassure myself) and although they didn't have any 5oC bags, they did have a Roman 0oC bag for about $75 and a 3-in1 bag for $100. I think the ones I've ordered sound reasonable... considering last time I tried getting sleeping bags at a camping store they had ONE left of the bags I wanted - no deal. Other than that, it was paying $80+ for them and for the use they will get (2-3 times a year) I can't justify it.

Rachel.
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Postby terri » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:23 pm

This is really interesting.

My partner and I are looking at sleeping bags atm, we are planning to do Jatbula trail (Katherine Gorge) next year. We really want to get something which we can use to pretty much anywhere, so we looking at either 0degC or -5degC.

Currently looking at the Black Wolf compact lite:
http://blackwolf.com.au/performance/compact-lite/

This is 0deg, does pack up very small, and I really like that I can unzip the bottom to put my feet out (I overheat) and can be zipped together. I think the bag is about $150. Does anyone know how this bag compares with the Romans?

Also had a good look at Kathmandu - their bags are so expensive! I know they get heavily reduced on sale, but are they worth that much more than other bags?

We will be buying bags in the next couple of weeks - would be very interested if anyone has any insight!

Cheers,
Terri
terri

Postby Young Camping Family » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:09 pm

Don't know about comparing, but the Roman ones I just bought are actually rated 0c (will elaborate once it's sorted...) and they too have a separate bottom zip to the side zip, which is the first time I'd seen it! They are only a standard size bag (sleeved that is) but Roman do make lite bags.
$150 seems a lot to spend on a sleeping bag, but I suppose it depends on the use.

Rachel.
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:11 pm

terri wrote:Also had a good look at Kathmandu - their bags are so expensive! I know they get heavily reduced on sale, but are they worth that much more than other bags?

We will be buying bags in the next couple of weeks - would be very interested if anyone has any insight!

Cheers,
Terri

I never go to kathmandu unless they have a big sale :lol: . Everything is so expensive there! But they do have good quality gear.

Re the bags, it all depends what your using it for. I needed one for camping in the snow, the bag I got was rated to -7, and at their half price sale was just under $200!!! But I was incredibly warm even when I woke up with frost all over the bag!! And we reckon it was colder than -7 overnight... the water in my Jerry can, INSIDE the car froze solid!

But if you just want a bag to keep you covered in summer and not so cold winters, get the cheapest you can find. It's basically just a zip up blanket.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Lin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:47 pm

I've been following this post because I need a warmer sleeping bag. Mine's fine for summer camping, but I do occasionally go camping in sub-zero temperatures and even with all my clothes on, I freeze my butt off.

I just wanted to ask if anyone could recommend one that also has the ripstop zippers if that's what you call them. The ones that prevent the material getting caught in the zip. Another feature that mine does not have and it drives me mad.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Lin wrote: I do occasionally go camping in sub-zero temperatures and even with all my clothes on, I freeze my butt off.

Lin.....the best solution to this is to make sure you insulate under the bed......between the bed and the ground. An old blanket is always good as wool is a good natural fibre and holds the warmth in.

And of course a hot water bottle or 2 never goes astray either.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:13 am

I remember the last time I camped in cold weather it got to -2 and I was sleeping on a self-inflating then. I noticed that the air matress I use now - though way more comfortable! - does get very cold, even with a wool underlay on it.

I saw some very cheap second hand self-inflating mats - I think they're the thin hiking ones - I was thinking of buying just to put under the matress for insulation.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:25 am

Yes Lin...insulate between you and the mattress and under the mattress as well. I camp all through winter and whilst I am now in a CT, I have camped for many years in a tent and never was cold. Successful winter camping is all in the preparation.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:25 am

Lin

We bought a couple of fairly inexpensive self inflating mats after a particularly cold night in the Warrumbungle National Park. We let them inflate and put them on top of the air mattress. The difference is incredible. Now we take them with us if we are visiting friends and expecting to sleep on a floor. They keep us warm on a concrete floor.

I move a bit when sleeping but seem not to venture too far off my mat.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Previous

Return to Gear Guide