Complete Beginners!

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Complete Beginners!

Postby Boogie65 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:02 pm

Hi all

We've been in Oz for 6 months now, and as we came for a more outdoorsy lifestyle, we really fancy getting into camping. Major problem though - we really don't have much of a clue how to go about it :? sounds really dumb I know! Nor do we know anyone that does!

So can anyone give me some really simple advice to break us in gently and/or maybe recommend a book or two - Camping for Dummies? or something like?

Should probably mention we have two kids (10 and 8 )

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Boogie65

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:06 pm

Welcom to the forum 8)

viewtopic.php?t=366&start=0

The first page or two of this thread should help you a bit. Any more questions feel free to ask in here.

What sort of camping do you want to do... or, how outdoorsy(or rough) do you want to go?? :mrgreen:

Best would be to start of small in regards to the amount of gear and the expense of it cause you don't want to splash out on all the top of the line $$ stuff only to find out it's not exactly what you wanted. And try not to go too far from civilisation for the 1st trip cause it's a pain when u forget things, and preferably go with some friends who have been camping a few times - there's a few here who are from QLD ;)

I can't see it happening, but i'd love to see a family all using swags :armsup :*** ... just a thought :mrgreen:
But you'll probably want a 6 person tent atleast (the 4 persons are really more suited to 2 people :shock: ). Camping table (probly two, or one larger than usuall one) and 4 camping chairs. A bunch of plastic boxes to fill with cooking stuff and food, sleeping bags, and some decent mattresses. Could probly get all that for under $500 if you were on a budget, but that would be summer sleeping bags, and not really great mattreses... and a Kmart tent :lol:

BTW, only 6 months Downunder i think that deserves a welcome to Oztralia too :armsup , where'd you come from?
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:18 pm

Welcome to the site Boogie!

Can't really add much more BUT there are a few active QLD members on this site so maybe keep an eye out for their next camping trip.

Amanda?

And welcome to Aus too!

:armsup

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Kramer » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:00 pm

I can recommend a tarp to ozzy's list and some poles and ropes, being in QLD as you should know it gets quite hot so some shade does help if you can't get a spot under some trees.

Also just do it go out to a caravan park or even your backyard, set up your gear and live in it for a weekend and see how comfortable you are.

Once you start camping you will find out the list of stuff needed/wanted will grow really quickly, I now have all sorts of gear, esky's, car fridge, separate camping utensils and pots and pans always packed ready to go, multiple lights of different voltages, generator, tools, 2 burners, oh and a board game or 2.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby freerocketman1 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:45 pm

welcome boogie to qld if you have a 4wd there is heaps of places to go camping near the sunshine coast. If you can get down to brisy this weekend the caravan & camping show is on from friday till sunday. ps.dont bring a open cheque book or you will go home with more than you realy need. I have 3 kids & when we first started camping we had a 4man tent & a kero lamp now weve got a 12man tent witch is now in storage as ive upgraded to a pop top camper & as for the reast of my stuff it would take a nother thread to list it all,if you want to start off on a small budget check the weekend shoper theres heaps of bargains in the camping section.
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Return to Camping Tips and Locations