Thunder Bird Park

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Thunder Bird Park

Postby boatie1010 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:55 pm

Hi
First time user here.

Can anyone tell me what Thunderbird Park is like for camping ?
boatie1010
Camping King

Re: Thunder Bird Park

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:00 am

Went there as a teenager with the family, but we stayed in a cabin. Was pretty damn good when I went I hope it has stayed that way. It has probably gotten bussier.

What else where you hoping to find out?

If you haven't already found it, their website gives you a lot of detail - http://www.thunderbirdpark.com/creek-side-camping/

I'd like to go there again someday.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby dea » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:56 am

i havent been but some freinds have & said its great !!!! we are planing to go there next year !!!
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby smiththenovice » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:53 am

We were there last month. We loved it. The facilities were okay, hot showers are free. My kids loved it....scrambling through the creek, which was cold but clean. Digging for thundereggs was hard and hot work and the blisters have only just healed on my hands. There is a pool, a cafe, mini golf, horseriding and 'adventure park'. The paid activities are quite expensive, but we had a ball in the bush, creek and pool. There is also a small shop with basic supplies as well as cold drinks and iceblocks etc.

We didn't necessarily have the best campsite, we were right in the middle of everything. there are actually two different companies who have camp sites there. Thunderbird Park and then Mount Tamborine Caravan and Camping (or something like that). If you are going to stay with the Thunderbird Park mob (as we did) and want to be close to the creek I would suggest site numbers 628 or 629. After having a bit of a walk around the camp ground we decided they looked like the nicest sites. They were shady and right on the creek as well as being a bit away from everything. However they are also a bit away from the toilet...probably a 150 m walk.

There is the best lolly shop a short drive from the camp ground, at Curtis Falls and the new Tamborine Brewery is beautiful (there are other breweries there but it is definitely the best) with a great restaurant.

Have fun, I think you'll love it. We did.
smiththenovice
Captain Camping

Postby ben... » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:38 pm

i havnt camped but have been for a look, and found the sites very small, and would hate to think what it would be like when it was very busy. As suggested there are some larger sites, but the grounds looked a little run down to me. my 2 cents.
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:06 pm

I did a recce there earlier in the year with a view to camping there.

The place was packed, not even walking space between a number of the campsites, some even camps ran over into the next door campsites.

The toilet/shower block was locked which led me to believe they either had some issues or they did not want visitors to see them. That thought conjures a whole lot of other possibilities.

I decided it was not for me BUT in saying that, there are many who have frequented the place and thought it just great.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby smiththenovice » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:29 pm

gypsylady wrote:I did a recce there earlier in the year with a view to camping there.

The toilet/shower block was locked which led me to believe they either had some issues or they did not want visitors to see them. That thought conjures a whole lot of other possibilities.

Yes you are right gypsylady, there is a toilet block which is locked. That is the one owned by the Tamborine Caravan and Camping mob, not Thunderbird Park. You need a key to get into it. I can't tell you what those ones are like because we stayed at the Thunderbird Park camp ground (they are side by side but owned by different people). The Thunderbird Park facilities are pretty basic but clean. And yes the sites are small. We booked two sites, which worked out to be the same price as one for us, because they charge on a per person basis and there are six of us. We had our 12 man Coleman tent with us (6.7m x 3m) and we needed the extra space.
smiththenovice
Captain Camping

Postby ben... » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:03 pm

hang on, there's 2 places to camp there?
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:15 pm

Yes there is and neither appealed to me but like I said there are many who have been happy to camp there.

When I rang I was told they were operated by the same people but smithy says different and she would know after having been there recently.

I was there in February this year to have a look at both campgrounds and both were very squeezy and not to my liking. I like open spaces, non structured sites.

I don't want to be falling over the ropes to the camp next door to me.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby smiththenovice » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:15 pm

Yep...two places, same place (if that makes sense)

Tamborine Mountain Caravan and Camping : http://www.tamborine.info/contact.htm

And Thunderbird Park : http://www.thunderbirdpark.com/

My pick would be Thunderbird Park because it's closer to the creek although TMCandC has better washing machines!
smiththenovice
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:42 pm

smiththenovice wrote:Yep...two places, same place (if that makes sense)

Yeah I had trouble trying to sort one from the other (same entrance) so I got out of the car and did a walk around.

I also thought Thunderbird Park was a little pricey at $14 per adult per night by the creek, presuming that is still the price. Mind you I do a lot of bush camping and free camping so may not be the best judge of cost.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby boatie1010 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:05 pm

Thank you eveyone for your comments. We spent the weekend there and its not at all what i thought it would be. The toilets all clogged up and the place is a little run down. We made our own fun and thats what camping is about.
Cheers
boatie1010
Camping King

Postby dea » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:26 pm

the place used to be owned by 2 brothers .. now they had a big feud and thats how it ended up in 2 camping parks..

thanks for the review.. maybe im not so keen to go there .. hope you had a good weekend away...
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby smiththenovice » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:21 pm

boatie1010 wrote:Thank you eveyone for your comments. We spent the weekend there and its not at all what i thought it would be. The toilets all clogged up and the place is a little run down. We made our own fun and thats what camping is about.
Cheers

That's a shame...we had a great time. DId find the facilities a bit basic but at least they worked. Clogged up toilets are not fun. Which park did you stay in?
smiththenovice
Captain Camping

Return to Camping Tips and Locations