Icebox advice

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Icebox advice

Postby Lin » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:48 pm

I want to buy myself a new icebox or esky this weekend. I left mine outside in the sun for too long :oops: and wasn't too happy with it anyway.

I don't need/want a very big one. I can always use some cooler bags for the stuff that does ok at room temp, like veggies and fruit and keep the icebox for the stuff that needs to be kept cold like meat and ready made meals. And beer of course. :beer

I would like something that will retain the ice for around 5 days at least. But I don't want to spend a fortune on it. Not sure how how I'd go.

I think 40-50 ltrs will probably do us
I like the idea of wheels (Icemate has one of those) but I found that they are usually bloddy useless because the handle is too short/too close to the esky. I'm thinking I'm better off using my foldable hand trolley to move it if it's very heavy.

The affordable brands I've come across where Koolice, Icemate, Big Chilli and I cannot remember the others. Oh and the very cheapest at Ray's Outdoors: Frosty. Looks and sounds dodgy, but maybe someone can convince me otherwise. ;)

ETA: They have some GREAT deals on the Techni Ice website atm. But not sure about which model...
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Icebox advice

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:04 pm

I have an 80 litre Techni Ice Eski. Bought it off eBay. If you watch the listings on eBay you can pick up a bargain.

Two blocks of ice on my last trip to Fraser Island lasted 7 days. That was with many openings a day to remove drinks and bait.

They are a great eski in my view.

Here is the eBay link to their current listings - http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/UNBELIEV ... QQ_armrsZ1

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Titch » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:30 pm

We have a Techni Ice 80 ltr as well.
we got it direct in Frankston Vic. thru the trading post from there office.
Fantastic esky.
Mounted direct on our trailer drawbar.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:14 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I just ordered via their website. I thought $129 for a 60lt was good value and I want it fast.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Titch » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:27 pm

Another thing, because they look rough, you will not be scared to scratch it.
Also tough enough to sit and stand on. :+
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:49 pm

Oops! I totally forgot that I had put a bid on a Big Chilli one on Ebay using my auction sniper. And I won! :roll: I never expected to win with that bid. Ah well, now I have 2! I'm sure I'll be able to flog one if I don't want to keep it. And I'll be able to compare them.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Lin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:35 am

Just thought I'd let you know that I bought a Techni Ice 40ltr that arrived yesterday!

I first got a 60ltr, but it was too big for us. I took that one on the 4-day camping trip when everyone kept putting warm stuff into my esky and kept leaving it open. And even with treating it so badly, the food was still cold when I got home! So I'm looking forward to trying my new one out with noone else being allowed to touch it! :)
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:09 pm

Keep it in the shade and put a wet beach towel or similar over it to help with keeping it cooler overall. Actually wet canvas is ideal but not everyone has this option.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:41 am

I wasn't very organised so just put a bag of ice in it when we drove out. The ice had completely melted by the second night, I think. Or maybe the second morning.

Admittedly it was 38 on Friday and probably about 33 on Saturday. The box was in full shade the whole time though.

Good tip about the wet towel.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:06 am

Party ice never lasts well on its own....always best to make some hard ice before you go or freeze 2 or 3 litre water bottles to put in it. Can always use the water when it thaws as well.

I always make up a 20 kilo block of hard ice and stack the cold drinks around it and top up with party ice in my 52 litre Tropical icebox which normally lasts about 5 to 6 days before I need to top up with party ice again. I do only use it for drinks though as the food goes in my fridge.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:58 pm

Yes i freeze 3 ltr milk bottles about 2 weeks before i go they last well and the best thing is you don`t get an esky full of water and soggy food.One place i went had a camp kitchen so i would put one in the freezer and keep changing them over.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Gear Guide