Snowy Mountains NP & Camping

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Snowy Mountains NP & Camping

Postby bockstar » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:22 pm

Hi there

I'm tossing up some idea on a camping destination in the Christmas/New Year period. One of the options is to travel to the Snowies and walk up Mount Kosciuszko.

Just wondering on people's experiences with campgrounds in the Kosciuszko National Park. Would staying at the Big4 in Jindabyne be a better option? What is the nearest campground to the main walk up Mount Kosciuszko?

Thanks in advance for your help and thoughts on this.

Ta.
Challenge C/T - Offroad, Softfloor camper
Tool box, Water Tank, Gas Bottle, Kitchen on tailgate, 10Ft Tent
bockstar
Captain Camping

Re: Snowy Mountains NP & Camping

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:47 am

Bockstar

I believe Derek has done the trek up there are there are some pics on his website (http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/) of the trek and a couple of the campsites. On Alpine Way there are a couple of NP campsites which are fairly standard, no power, no firewood, watch for fire bans etc. Some have toilets. The Big4 at Jindabyne looks OK from the outside. There is another park that we stay in each year for a couple of nights on the other side. It's called Jindabyne Holiday Park. It has a good camp kitchen, showers and toilets are adequate nice powered and unpowered sites. I think Big4 has a pool. Both are on the edge of the lake.

Check for events on in Jindabyne and Thredbo if you plan on staying in one of the parks - they do fill quickly when CMC Rocks the Snowys (a roots and country music event) is on at Thredbo.

You can start the trek from either Thredbo (Fairly close to Jindabyne) or Charlottes Pass (not that close to Jindabyne).

Cheers
Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:47 pm

Hi

I stayed at the Kosciosko Mountain Retreat. It is roughly half way between Jindabyne and Charlotte pass and inside the National Park so you need to pay to get there. It was a fairly good camp ground and in winter is above the snowline. Seemed strange to see photos of where I was camping covered in snow. Owners were very good and helpful.

Here is a link to it on my website - http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/mount ... amping.htm

Here are a few photos of my walk up there setting off from Charlotte Pass. It is an easy 18 kilometre walk. http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/summit.htm

I would say everyone should do this walk at least once.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby caveman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:23 pm

Hi Bockstar

Second week back to work and I need an outlet :-bang - ie plan the next trip. Have been looking at doing the same trip, Jindabyne and a walk up Kosciusko from Thredbo. what we were wondering is the best time to go, January or Easter re temp./ weather conditions. Will also be looking at some mild mtb'ing with the boys and have a go at some fishing. Any advice hugely appreciated.

Cheerrs
Caveman
caveman
Boy Scout

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:28 pm

I was there at Easter. Was just under zero degrees in the morning when I got (I still remember that feeling putting my bare foot on the aluminium ladder inside the camper) up and 1 degrees on the car outside thermometer when I started the walk. No snow but a lot of ice laying around especially in the Snowy River. Must admit though at that temp it was quite a pleasant walk though.

I am now on the higher side of 50 and just gotta do it again one day.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:32 pm

caveman wrote: Will also be looking at some mild mtb'ing with the boys and have a go at some fishing. Any advice hugely appreciated.

You can mountain bike from Charlottes Pass as far as Rawsons Pass on the way up the mountain (about 8 kilometres). Rawsons pass is just at the base of the final walk up to Kosciusko. Lots of people doing it.

Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby caveman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:46 pm

Hi Derek

Thanks for the great info. The Charlottes Pass looks like another great way. I heard there;s a sunset and night time walk back into Thredbo but it's quite expensive $75pp. I think we'll still do the day walk from thredbo but the bike option will also be a must now. What are the temps like in January. I looked at the Bureua of Met. site today but couldn't seem to get much.

Cheers Caveman
caveman
Boy Scout

Postby Lin » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:32 am

My only experience with camping in Koscioszko is when I decided to escape Canberra one New Years eve years ago and hit the back road to Adaminaby after work and just parked the car on a dead-end dirt road in the park and sat there for hours staring at the stars and listening to the silence. Absolutely beautiful!

The only thing was... when I woke up in the morning (slept in the back of my old Subi) and got out of the car, I got attacked by these massive horse flies. The biggest flies I'd ever seen in my life and their sting really hurt. I smothered myself - clothes and all! - in insect repellent and that seemed to keep them at bay. But the dog went totally crazy and I had to flee and get her out of there.

Moral of the story: take tropical strength insect repellent!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby ck10_9 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:38 am

Hi we stayed in Koscioszko Mountain Retreat also - It was fairly nice and at the time we were there they provided free fire wood too

The camp kitchen was pretty decent and there was a large grassy area for games/kids
Keep an eye on the possums tho - cheeky buggers :)

Australia Daily Photo Blog - Great images of the land down under
http://australiadailyphoto.blogspot.com/
ck10_9
Captain Camping

Postby bockstar » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:11 pm

Thanks folks for the tips and feedback.

Booked into the Jindabyne Holiday Park (FPA).

Will be there from 2nd to 7th January.

Looking forward to it!!!

Cheers.
Challenge C/T - Offroad, Softfloor camper
Tool box, Water Tank, Gas Bottle, Kitchen on tailgate, 10Ft Tent
bockstar
Captain Camping

Return to Camping Tips and Locations