Coleman Timbertop vs BlackWolf Mojave SG6

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Coleman Timbertop vs BlackWolf Mojave SG6

Postby DadAgain » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:25 pm

Sorry - first post :hello:

I did a search and havent been able to find anything relevant:

We went on our first family camping expedition this weekend and had a great time. Unfortunately our tent however, did not live up to expectations and has been returned
(Spinifex Derwent from Anaconda).
1. The stitching on one of the fly screen anchor points came undone meaning one door couldnt be fully opened without the fly flapping around in the wind
2. The bug screen zip on the front door developed tears like laddered tights near the zip allowing mosquitos unfettered access to our tent.
3. The bag split...

We had deliberately bought cheap gear 'cos we bought EVERYTHING at once and needed to keep our startup costs down, but were pretty disappointed that this tent failed at the first outing, and in good, non-taxing conditions! Obviously we took it back and got a full refund without too many questions being asked (Anaconda are clearly used to handing out refunds!)

So - now we're looking again to buy a tent - we *did* like the layout of our tent and the large number of vents and airy feel, so are happy to keep the basic design the same BUT we want something that isnt going to fall apart QUITE so quickly!

We narrowed the choice down to three
OzTrail Elite Chalet 6 ($280)
Coleman Timbertop 6CV ($399) : http://www.kangarootentcity.com.au/welc ... opGeo6.jpg
Black Wolf SG6 ($399 inc postage): http://www.productreview.com.au/itemimage/81593

After chatting with a few people, we've heard one or two quality control stories about OzTrail (although nothing near as bad as the Spinifex stories we've heard now!), so we're tossing up between the Coleman and the Black Wolf

Both are the same essential design, similar size, similar price (coleman from tentworld in Brisbane, BlackWolf from eBay vendor in Gosford)
Coleman says its '75D/186T' material
Black Wolf '68D/190T'
What does that mean?

Coleman has smaller triangle windows that dont look like that can be held up as an awning like the Black wolf, both weigh in at around 21kg.

I'm a bit nervous about buying a tent from eBay - but if its a better tent then I'm happy to give it bash (they are a vendor with premises in NSW at least it not like its a dodgy HongKong exporter!).

Anyone offer any comments on our choices? Any experience with either tents - or general brand comments? I've heard good things about BlackWolf canvas products but dont know whether their polyester stuff is similarly robust or whether they are just pandering to the 'lowbrow' market and cashing in on their name....

Help????

(thanks!)
DadAgain

Re: Coleman Timbertop vs BlackWolf Mojave SG6

Postby CampGrrlz » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:04 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum :grin:

Can recommend the eBay vendor from Gosford - got several items from them. Good prices, items described accurately and fast postage.

Since we've only conditioned the OzTrail tour tent and put it up once in the back yard, I can't comment on how well it's made except that it looks fine.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby caveman » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:01 pm

Hi there

We were in the same boat and went to BigW for a tent ($400 with 40% off), expecting not much. Also brought a decent tarp and set up according to where we expected the weather to come from. After 3 years some minor wears but still going good. who knows, sometimes we get lemons :booty , sometimes mangos. Good to get a win.
Cheers ::)
caveman
Boy Scout

Postby Lin » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:37 pm

I can't really offer direct feedback on those models. I did desperately want to buy the Black Wolf Mojave SG4 (we're only 1 adult, 1 child and a dog) a while ago because it had some features that my Coleman tent doesn't have. But I then decided that I couldn't justify the cost. I've had my current Coleman (which is the model down from the Timbertop) for about 4 years now and I think it's a great tent and so far no issues.

So quality-wise I can highly recommend the Coleman, though I have not tried that particular model. I do believe Black Wolf has an excellent reputation too and I like the look of their tents more. And I LOVE those skylights and windows in the annex!!! So if I could afford the Black Wolf which is more expensive, I believe, I'd go for that one.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby davida » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:16 pm

A member called Dettie (see post on Sept 16 in this same topic) has bought a SG4. They might offer an opinion.

I am looking seriously at the SG4 for 2 people next year.

cheers

David
davida

Postby markcrook » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:55 pm

We had a Coleman Chalet CV9 (so bigger than the timbertop) prior to buying the CT - and we couldn't fault it, well made tent, easy to put-up (with 2). Withstood some very strong winds and was rock solid, very water-proof, no leaks or anything. Loads of ventilation options and totaly bug proof.
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Return to Gear Guide