trailer security

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

trailer security

Postby sienna » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:45 am

Hi All,
Not sure if this is posted somewhere else. If so, I apologoise in advance.
But my question has to do with trailer security. What are the best ways to secure your trailer against theft while it is sitting at home and to a lesser extent, while out and about? My mum's campervan nearly got stolen from out the front of our house a few months back and although we live on a battleaxe block, I do want to secure the trailer somehow.
So I'm after the best ideas. I think I can chain it to a pole but what else is there?
Thanks
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: trailer security

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:08 am

Our CT is usually behind locked gates with two labradors on duty :*** :***
but hubby also has a lock thingy (he handles all the technical stuff) that he bought from our local Repco store that goes on the towball to stop theives hooking it up to their vehicle, he also has one for the boat trailer as well.

Also all the locks on our CT & toolbox hubby has bought small padlocks that we lock them all up with and we keep a master key for them on our car keys.

But not sure what your set up is.....although chaining it to the pole of a carport etc will make it quite tricky for anyone to pinch it :***
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sienna » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:15 pm

Your suggestions are along the lines I was thinking but I wanted to make sure I was barking up the right tree.
Thanks for that.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Titch » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:46 pm

My Tradie trailer is locked against our pergola post.
I have used wire bike type locks, from super cheap.
Also one thru the wheel, wrapped around the spring.

http://www.brightideas.com.au/index.php?e=410&p=python

Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby CampGrrlz » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:13 pm

All good suggestions! Locking anything including 'security screens' on windows serves to make the would-be thief look for a simpler target. Anything that slows down a walk-in-walk-out theft is an advantage. If someone *really* wants to pinch something a couple of locks are not going to make any difference. But usually, unless you've got something either very easily saleable or useable (like cash) or something very desirable, most thefts are opportunistic and a decent lock will deter the thief.

Elaine - a great believer in making life as difficult as possible for thieves ;)
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby mr_grumble » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:55 pm

I 'borrowed' a design from another forum once and duplicated myself.
Nothing too difficult, however you will need to have access to a welder of sorts to weld the reo-bar, however the rest is simply hacksaw and drill ;)
Secures the wheels to the trailer springs, so the trailer WON'T move ::)

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Titch » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:14 pm

mr_grumble wrote:I 'borrowed' a design from another forum once and duplicated myself.
Nothing too difficult, however you will need to have access to a welder of sorts to weld the reo-bar, however the rest is simply hacksaw and drill ;)

Steve

Very impressive.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sienna » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:07 pm

Very impressive indeed!
I bought a tow ball lock thing which didn't fit exactly as it should have but I've still managed to adjust it slightly to get it to lock. My next job will be to put a couple of padlocks onto the latches that open up the access under the tent bed. I figure there'll be a lot of stuff under there that I don't want pinched. Hopefully I can find a pack of 2 or 3 locks with the same keys. Otherwise I'll have heaps of keys. Really annoying.

Thanks for all the great ideas.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Malcur » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:52 am

Bunnings sell a set of 4 padlocks all keyed alike. I use these to lock down several areas of the camper, including the tailgate, toolbox, spare wheel & shovel & axe holder. I also bought a lock for the tregg hitch. Now all I have to do is remember to use them!!

Mal
Camper Trailer owner!!
Malcur
Captain Camping

Postby sienna » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:07 am

Thanks, Mal. Bunnings is one of my fav stores. Even my 3yo knows bunnings. Every time he sees an ad he tells me all about it.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ricklanga » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:46 am

I 'borrowed' a design from another forum once and duplicated myself.

Love this idea. Will be definitely knocking a couple of these up at work. Looks like it would be difficult to attack the lock with a pair of bolt cutters. At the end of the day however, if a thief wants something bad enough, they WILL take it. One place I worked we had a nice 7 x 4 high side we were repairing. We didn't have room for it inside so we left it outside with the wheels removed, the chassis chained to the fence and in a well lit area on a main road. It was gone the next day.

--
Richard.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby Pauly » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:05 pm

if they want it they will get it. Anything you put on will be a deterant so make it visable.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby dea » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:25 pm

some great ideas there .. we have ours in back yard .. so not really visbale to anyone .. has a padlock on toolbox lol ...but really must think about doing some security like that
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby knoath » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:44 am

We're thinking of getting our own trailer but as I now have no rear access it'll have to stay out the front and we have no front fence!
I was thinking of setting a post in concrete to chain it to, but I do like the wheel/spring lock!
Knowing the way the area is going (was great when we built!), They will jack up the wheel and walk it down the street and no-one will bother to look twice. Shame. :?
knoath
Captain Camping

Postby sienna » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:38 am

Knoath,
We found our wheelie bins kept getting taken, even when full because we kept them in the front yard. But when we moved them right next to the house, still out the front, we never had the problem again. So I reckon if you can keep your trailer as close to the house as possible and use the wheel lock and put in the post and chain it to that. At least that way, it's not such an easy target and it will take time for them to remove it off your property. Maybe too much bother for them.
I have heard of people having a motion sensor tape recording of a big dog set up, too. That with some Dangerous Dog signs might be another deterrant.
Good luck.
I'm off to bunnings today!
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Next

Return to Camper Trailers