Fridges, Eskies, Coolers & Ice cream!!

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Fridges, Eskies, Coolers & Ice cream!!

Postby mummeee74 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:21 pm

I thought I would start another thread!

I have been looking at fridges, eskies and coolers for my camper trailer and wondered what everyone thinks is best or what suits your family and style of camping.

I am becoming rather fond of the Waeco CF80 myself!! But I have to ask myself if this is really necessary, it's nearly double what we paid for our kitchen fridge for goodness sake... but ice-cream while camping - yeah baby!!! Also last time we were on holidays all those little trips back and forth to the local supermarket cost us a fortune.

So what are your thoughts! Keep it simple or make the "investment"?
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:51 pm

Thats the fridge we want!

But if you ar going to caravan parks you can buy a 90-110ltr bar fridge second hand for about $100 and just plug it into the mains. We've been doing that for 2 yrs now but like you can't find the $1300 for the WAECO. Now our bar fridge has fritzed itself we hire a 60ltr WAECO for $50/ week which isn't bad really.

We also have an 82ltr ice box that is great as a back up or for just an overngihter.

One more powerball!

:armsup

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:32 pm

Geez you're quick Scol!

Someone suggested a bar fridge but the depth of our trailer will only be 500mm max and it won't fit into our boot. Hiring is a good idea though, might see if anyone does that around here.
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:40 pm

mummeee74 wrote:Geez you're quick Scol!

Someone suggested a bar fridge but the depth of our trailer will only be 500mm max and it won't fit into our boot. Hiring is a good idea though, might see if anyone does that around here.

I strap mine to the top of the CT ... just make sure you tie down to four points.

:+

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:45 pm

What about the cover?? I will have an annexe, queen bed mattress, 2 x single mattresses (all foam) already under there?? How exactly do you do it? Do you just throw a different cover on top? The trailer we have actually zippers on?
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:50 pm

The cover should be pretty strong ... if not think about getting a different CT!

I literally just throw the fridge on top of the CT (cover on CT) and then tie the fridge down to the trailer. Easy peasy. You can also but some material between the CT and the fridge if you feel the cover isn't dtrong enough with teh fridge on top.

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Scolers » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:59 pm

This is a pic of my rig a couple of months back ... look at the back of the CT ... there is a bike there ... that's where the fridge sometimes sit ... jsut not this time as it is in the back of the car ... 8)

BTW I now have 31" wheels all 'round ... much better for sand ... :armsup

Scol.

Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:38 pm

Oh I see right on top! Do you have to let it sit for a while once you get there because it's been lying down? mmmm wonder what my MIL would think if I asked to borrow her bar fridge!! What do you think a little bar fridge weighs?
I think we need to swap cars Scol!! Your car can tow heaps more junk than mine :lol:
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:46 pm

Yeah we go pretty loaded ... 8) ... I jsut pick the fridge up and put it on the top ... easy peasy. We used to tow all you can see there with a 2.4ltr (Rav 4). It was ok but after owning the Paj I can see how it used to struggle ... mind you ... there's about 600kg's plus worth of gear there!

We usually let the fridge sit for about 20mins ... bar fridges arent too bad like that. But most of our perishable food is in the ice box so we can afford to wait before transferring stuff.

If you get right into camping you will end up getting a 2nd hand fourbie and use the other car as your 'town' car.

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:01 am

Wow that's a lot of gear! Funny I was just talking to my brother re: 4x4's (he has one) moved a couple of years ago and now goes fishing on the beach etc, and loves it, said we would end up buying one too, I really can't see us buying one ever though. I only go through $20/week or less petrol in my little car and I quite like that! mmm who knows!
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:39 pm

mummeee74 wrote: I really can't see us buying one ever though. !

I said that too!

We sold the RAV and from the money we got from it we bought the 4wd and a NEW Getz. We only use the Paj for trips so the family budget doesn't burst. Interestingly enough we use less fuel per week for the two cars than we did when we just had the RAV. That also includes all of our trips ie. we spent approx. $3k on fuel per year with the RAV and that's all we spend now with the two cars.

Food for thought!

;)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:01 pm

Who would of thought, 2 cars and less on petrol! I may have to eat my words one day LOL
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:26 pm

My 'Fuel Guzzling' 4x4 gets about 10L/100k's 8), I'm pretty happy with that, espicially since it nearly weighs 2 tonnes :shock: . And its much more fun and versatile for camping. I don't think I could ever go back to a 'car' after owning one.

As far as the fridges go, you get what you pay for unfortunately, waeco and engel seem to be the market leaders, my mate has one or the other, not sure which, that he got from a 4x4 show alot cheaper than at camping stores etc. around $500 IIRC, and it's COLD... keeps making coke cans explode when he forgets to turn the temp down :*** I'll find out what make/model it is if you like.

But if you're on a bit of a budget a decent Ice-box will set you back 150-200 for about 50-60L's. Makes the Fridge seem like good value, especially when you throw in another $10-$20 per trip on ice. Just don't go a 3 way fridge (gas/12v/240v)... I've been away with sum1 who had one of them and it was useless :?
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:43 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:But if you're on a bit of a budget a decent Ice-box will set you back 150-200 for about 50-60L's. Makes the Fridge seem like good value, especially when you throw in another $10-$20 per trip on ice. Just don't go a 3 way fridge (gas/12v/240v)... I've been away with sum1 who had one of them and it was useless :?

$20 on ice??? I have an ice box ... costs $3 for 4 nights worth of ice ... jsut freeze a few milk bottles full of water .. that'll last heaps.

Agree with the 3in1 observation tho' ... we were going to get a 3in1 until I realised it only goes down to 25 degrees ambient whereas a WAECO will go down to 50 degrees ambient ... hence exploding coke cans ... :?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:53 pm

Scolers wrote:
Ozzycamperboy wrote:But if you're on a bit of a budget a decent Ice-box will set you back 150-200 for about 50-60L's. Makes the Fridge seem like good value, especially when you throw in another $10-$20 per trip on ice. Just don't go a 3 way fridge (gas/12v/240v)... I've been away with sum1 who had one of them and it was useless :?

$20 on ice??? I have an ice box ... costs $3 for 4 nights worth of ice ... jsut freeze a few milk bottles full of water .. that'll last heaps.

Agree with the 3in1 observation tho' ... we were going to get a 3in1 until I realised it only goes down to 25 degrees ambient whereas a WAECO will go down to 50 degrees ambient ... hence exploding coke cans ... :?#

Scol.

I exaggerated slightly :mrgreen: But only SLIGHTLY! Around my area ice goes for around $4.50-$5.00 for a 5kg bag. Unless its an overnight trip, i need 2 bags to keep the 52L icebox cold. So about $10. This will last about 3 days in extreme heat before i'm down to minimal Ice in the box, which is really only good for cool drinks, it doesn't keep meat frozen, so I usually top up on the 4th or 5th day, bringing the ice budget up to $10-$20 for a long trip :(
So next 4x4 show i'll be on the prowl for bargin on a proper fridge :lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations