Air beds?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Air beds?

Postby Lin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:24 pm

I tested my air bed before our trip and it had a leak. Didn't bother fixing it yet and just took the spare. Which turned out to have a very slow leak. Fast enough to make me wake up with my bum on the ground at or before dawn, too tiny to let itself be found and fixed!

So, I need to buy a new one and I was hoping to get some advice here on best brand/model. Obviously I want something that is as strong as possible. Also easily inflatable with my battery operated Coleman pump.

I'm planning to put velcro on my 2 yoga mats and put them under the mattress for extra protection. And I will always take a spare too!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Air beds?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:09 pm

I gave up on airbeds long ago...even before owning our CT.....

I used king size stretcher beds with a thin mattress on them instead, at least you were off the ground and more comfy. They folded down into a bag a bit bigger than a fold up chair.

My airbeds would ALWAYS go down but my brother reckons his self inflatable mattress is quite good tho, not very thick but does the trick. I think they are a fair bit more expensive than the regular blow up ones but you won't need the pump or repair kit. :+

Hope this helps :grin:
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby smiththenovice » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:47 pm

I second the self inflating mats, they are so much better than airbeds...no more sore back for me! For the kids we have this fold out mattress thing which is quite good. It folds into thirds, got it at BCF, cheaper although more bulky than self inflating mat. It is also quite comfy.
smiththenovice
Captain Camping

Postby Lin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:20 pm

I have a form of rheumatoid arthritis and an airbed is the only thing that is comfortable for me. :( I've tried the self-inflating and didn't find them very comfortable. I think stretchers would be the same.

I just had the idea that I could go and get a sheet of rubber from Clark's to put under the matress?
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Young Camping Family » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:39 pm

I think when we upgrade we'll go for an airbed on legs (you know, with criss-cross poles underneath).
Coleman make one and I think Kmart (Jackaroo) also do an equivalent - best of both worlds = stretcher + airbed.
P.S If anyone knows that they are rubbish and a waste of money let me know!

Rachel.
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Postby Lin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:04 pm

I saw those at the camping store last week and they looked awesome! But I then had to decide that I wouldn't have space for 2 of those in my tiny Holden Astra with all my other gear.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby dea » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:00 pm

Young Camping Family wrote:I think when we upgrade we'll go for an airbed on legs (you know, with criss-cross poles underneath).
Coleman make one and I think Kmart (Jackaroo) also do an equivalent - best of both worlds = stretcher + airbed.
P.S If anyone knows that they are rubbish and a waste of money let me know!

Rachel.

we had a queen one .. and single x3..they were ok ...just took alot of space ....
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:09 pm

A folding stretcher with a self inflating mattress is the way to go...best of both worlds.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby AussieSunset » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:03 pm

I use a air bed but with a self inflatable on top of that so i get the best of the 2. I also put the rubber matts under the airbed. It dont get cold in the cold months at least and if the air bed goes down at least i'm still not on the ground with the self inflatable :)
Works for me :) and Phoebe ( the dog ) lol
Life is what happens when you've made other plans. :)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby Blue Bravo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:12 pm

We tried the stretchers with inflatable matresses. Found them to be very noisy as the matress fits into a vinyl sleeve and seemed to rub with every movement. Used them in winter and nearly froze stiff. They are up int the garage for use by g/children when they visit. We now use the self inflating matresses.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:42 pm

Blue Bravo wrote:We tried the stretchers with inflatable matresses.

That's why you replace the air bed with a self inflating mattress
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby jezzabel » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:28 am

Self inflating all the way :)
jezzabel
Boy Scout

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:38 pm

I have both a king single stretcher with inflatable mattress and an air mattress, the air mattress rarely gets used unless other "non-campers are coming with me and have no gear.And since i camp more in the cooler months the air mattresses are freezing unless you take blankets to put underneath and ontop so carry lot of extra stuff, i do intend to eventually buy a good i swag,climb in it and be done.
As for the pump Lin do yourself a favour..at BCF bought a pump for $20 that plugs in to your cigarette lighter,mattress blows up in 30 seconds.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:32 am

"at BCF bought a pump for $20 that plugs in to your cigarette lighter,mattress blows up in 30 seconds."

But I don't want to be dependent on camping next to the car. I couldn't in the last place I camped at and I would not have wanted to carry a double inflated air mattress from the car to the tent via a narrow dirt track. My battery operated one works fine. Maybe takes more than 30 secs but I just plug it in, switch it on and walk away. The batteries last quite a while too.

I don't want to go self-inflating for 2 reasons: takes up too much space in the car and I have none left and I don't find them soft enough because of my arthritis.

I bought another Colemen air mattress and will buy an ultra-cheap one somewhere as a back-up too. And I bought 2 rubber yoga mats to put underneath next time.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Barnaby Black » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Air beds are too cold in the winter.

We use self-inflating matresses and sometimes (depends which tent we take) we have the fold up stretchers as well which is an awesome setup for not much space.
Barnaby Black

Next

Return to Gear Guide