NOOBIE TO CAMPING AND EXCITED

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

NOOBIE TO CAMPING AND EXCITED

Postby johnwilly1000 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:51 am

HI all!!! We from BRISSIE and We will be going on our first ever camping trip in our life. just me and my wife, have 2 dogs would like to bring camping if can but otherwise we jst go ourselfes dogs r small friendly types.

Places that have been suggested:
Potsville
Dickie beach
Wivon hoe damn

WE HAVE:
Roof top tent
9 kg gas bottle, gas light on pole
little portable $5 gas stove
Seats, table, esky

Anyone have sugestions on where else to go and what else i be needing, be even better if place allowed dogs.
thanks
johnwilly1000

Re: NOOBIE TO CAMPING AND EXCITED

Postby Lin » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:23 am

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I can't suggest any campsites because I'm in Canberra. As far as gear goes, the list of what you could take is endless. Someone just posted a checklist in another forum here: viewtopic.php?f=100&t=3242&start=30 (I haven't viewed it yet because I the work network blocks it)

To me the most important thing when I go camping is the bedding! There's nothing worse than waking up tired when camping. So make sure your mattress is comfi.

Apart from that for me it's often the little things that make the difference. Kitchen paper, facial wipes, anti-bacterial gel, firelighters, etc. But if you're close to a town, you can always go buy them of course!

Have fun!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby dea » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:23 pm

hi we are from brissy & places we have gone & with our dogs have been

atkinsons dam
bigriggin

other places i wanna go is
spring gully
nereum crk
wiven hoe
sommerset
flanagans reserve

cheers dea
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Hello johnwilly and WELCOME to the forum. Glad to see you are including your canine kids in your camping plans....I never leave home without my two.

Firstly Wivenhoe Dam is not pet friendly so you will need to cross it off your list. Atkinson Dam is pet friendly and not far from Wivenhoe so you might like to consider it.

One of my favourite places is Island Reach at Imbil http://www.ircamping.com.au/

I suggest that you look back through some of the older threads on this forum as there is heaps of info contained in them and some great ideas from many of the members.

I'd also suggest a tarp/poles/ropes/pegs etc so that you can have some shade and a place to set up your kitchen and sit about. Also water, you will need to carry some water even if only for drinking.......cooking utensils, BBQ, torch, sunscreen, insect repellent, hat, umbrella are just a few items you will need. Also not a bad idea to put in a jacket for we do sometimes get a cool evening, especially if it rains.

Camping can be as basic as you like and the best way to know what your requirements are is to get out there and just do it. A lot will depend on how long you plan to camp....is it just a weekend or are you considering longer term, maybe a week or two??

Cheers Gypsy....

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:30 pm

dea wrote:hi we are from brissy & places we have gone & with our dogs have been

atkinsons dam
bigriggin

other places i wanna go is
spring gully
nereum crk
wiven hoe
sommerset
flanagans reserve

cheers dea

Bigriggin, Wivenhoe & Sommerset Dams are NOT pet friendly. Only the bush camping side of the creek at SGS is pet friendly dea.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby freerocketman1 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:57 pm

welcome to the forum john. if your after some where thats 2wd you could try either mt may, burges pk , nereum cr , darlington pk or sharp pk, these are all dog friendly places & not far from bris, all are perfect for your first time out.
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby johnwilly1000 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:41 am

wow thanks guys,
i cheked out darlington such a nice place but it says no pets allowed?
also guys when i go to a campsite with or without power do they usually have toilets showers and water

Soo many places to go which one first eheh
well first off we are going to go pottsville for overnight stay , but it would have to b without the dogs :(
simply doing this cause since our first time we dont wana have too much to worry about and risk not enjoying camping. definately take them on our next trip. we r thinking of doing a longer bigger trip during december hoildays cause thats when me and wife off from work. and may stop by roma as we have a family member just moving there for work now, good oportunity to go.

gota admit our roof top tent was best buy ever its comfy and setup in under a minute. takedown in 3-4mins.
johnwilly1000

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:21 am

johnwilly1000 wrote:
i cheked out darlington such a nice place but it says no pets allowed?
also guys when i go to a campsite with or without power do they usually have toilets showers and water

Darlington Park must have changed its policy if it is no longer pet friendly.

Most of the campgrounds will have toilets at least.....some have showers and some have water as well but it is not always potable water. Always best to carry your own drinking water where ever you go.

For example.......Nerum Creek has all amenities but places like Burgess and Darlington Parks only have toilets and water.

You will generally find that campgrounds with all amenities are dearer that those with limited amenities.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby dea » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:06 pm

where is darlington park
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:13 pm

dea wrote:where is darlington park

Out Beaudesert way.....

http://www.scenicrim.qld.gov.au/regionI ... 140109.pdf

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby johnwilly1000 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:28 pm

thanks all for replies and help. we went potsville and we r hooked. no more hotels!!
mand i havent really been living until now.
next is prob atkinson damn simply cause allow dogs.
even though it rained heavy still had soo much fun and thank god our tent didnt wet through.
soo happy till our next trip

was wandering and coastal areas that allow small dogs??
johnwilly1000

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:56 pm

johnwilly1000 wrote:was wandering and coastal areas that allow small dogs??

Coastal areas and dogs of any description is a difficult one. The only place that comes to mind is Inskip Point at Rainbow Bay.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby sienna » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:36 pm

There is a big off leash beach area at the southport spit but not sure where you would stay. Lots of folks go there for a day trip and it's not far from Brissie. And I believe Nudgee beach has an off leash area, too. Again, though, not sure where you'd stay and lots of people day trip there, too.
There is a book that lists all sorts of dog friendly accom all around the place but unfortunatley the name of it escapes me at the moment. Try google.

Chances are you frequent your local off leash park so ask around there, too.

Just checked out the camping with pets section, and someone mentioned that Wooyung caravan park allows pets. It's not far from Pottsville. They have a website so check it out.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Al&Sharon » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:32 am

you also have wooyung or ballina beach

http://wooyungbeach.com.au/
http://www.ballinabeachpark.com.au/

both on the beach walk over the sand hills, I have heard recently that ballina beach is now not dog friendly but not sure Ive always taken my dog phone to check it out.
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:45 am

Bribie Island has a dog friendly park, the name escapes me but it on the beach side , Tin Can Bay is another place. I would by the camp 5 book it is well worth the money and tells you everything.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Introductions: