sufficient light

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

sufficient light

Postby smiththenovice » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:18 pm

Sorry if this has been covered, I did a search of previous topics and couldn't find the answers.

We are pretty set but always seem to struggle for sufficient light? We have four kids so want to avoid gas lighting. We don't travel with a generator so cant get power from that. We have a solar motion sensor light, which is great but turns on and off. Quite frankly I am sick of waving my arms in front of it every time it goes off...there must be a solution.

Can anyone suggest an effective worklight for night time? We need something that will effectively light our camp site. We have several lanterns, but surely there is one light that will just do the whole area.

At the moment we just make sure we have dinner before the sun sets, but that's not always ideal.
smiththenovice
Captain Camping

Re: sufficient light

Postby CampGrrlz » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:01 pm

There are a lot of battery and/or solar LED lanterns and different styles of light combos around. Check the camping stores and the el cheepo automotive shops. LEDs are usually a bright but soft light and drawing little power, are quite efficient of battery power. Check the Christmas ropes and if you have an electrician handy, get the control box removed so the light stays on steadily all the time.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:03 pm

Versa Lite or Col Light are about the best fluoro lights about for general light if that is all you want. Ohterwise LEDs are the way to go for a more direct light with little current draw.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Cheiffy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:04 pm

You could try a 12volt LED light or Fluro type. I know the fluro type draw under an amp per hour and the LED even less than this. We have used the same fluro one for six years and never had a problem with it. However, if you dont have extra battery power in your vehicle, you may want to switch back to another style once you dont need such bright lighting. The last thing you want is a flat battery.

Some sample light are here http://www.arb.com.au/products/general-accessories/adventure-lights/

Cheers Cheiffy
Please sir, Can I have some more? Time off that is.

"Hard at it"
Fruit Bat Falls, Cape York
Cheiffy
Captain Camping

Postby Pauly » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:57 pm

Depends how bright you want it. We use LED for pretty much all our lighting. For our eating cooking light we use these

tbm671c.jpg

ux_a09052200ux0081_ux_g.jpg

, picked them up from ebay and their only shortfall is the wires are a bit light.

For general light around our camp at night we use these, we have twelve of them and they pack up to about a shoe box. Put them around your ropes etc.

152843056_tp.jpg
, we find with a good sunny day they are still working at 3 or 4 am.

The top strip lights are LED's in like a silicon strip and you can get small sealed batterys for under $100 like these, http://cgi.ebay.com.au/JET-SKI-BATTERY- ... 3ca5e36fed and these will last for several days running the LED's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby smiththenovice » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:02 am

Great ideas, but do 12 v lights all have to run off a car battery? I have seen lots of RACQ/NRMA cars attending people who are running their stuff off the car battery and don''t want to find myself in that position.

Can you get a seperate battery to run these lights?
smiththenovice
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:22 pm

smiththenovice wrote:Great ideas, but do 12 v lights all have to run off a car battery? I have seen lots of RACQ/NRMA cars attending people who are running their stuff off the car battery and don''t want to find myself in that position.

Can you get a seperate battery to run these lights?

You can always buy a small separate battery for lights.

However the fluoro & LED lights mentioned use very little power. My Versa Lite has a current draw of 0.6 and my LED draws 0.02 from memory. I also have a rechargeable cordless LED as well.

I have a small 7 amp/hr battery that I use for the 12 volt shower and often use it to also run a light or two away from the camp. To explain this.....my CT is hard wired with plenty of sockets for lights but occasionally I want a light elsewhere (shower or similar) or someone else does so the little battery comes into play then.

You can buy these small batteries from camping outlets like BCF.

I also use solar garden lights as in the pic above to mark the ropes and outside the loo if I have my own in operation. I still have the very first one I bought about 20 years ago when they first came out and it still works. It is an amber coloured light.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby crocodile » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:23 pm

We use LED downlights inside the tent running off a small SLA which gets charged during the day when we go out in the vehicle via the ciggy lighter. Outside we use the trusty old Tilley kerosene lantern. They are pretty safe and kicks the arse out of any LEDs and fluoros.
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes !
crocodile
Camping King

Postby Titch » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:05 pm

I have used this well known fella,s advice and used LED,s from deal Direct in Hong Kong.

Budget Barry http://longlucas.bravehost.com/
Great product, great service.
I have the triple emitter lights in my Caravan.

Extra bright for reading lamp

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15648

Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Pauly » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:29 pm

I would always suggest running either dual batterys or if you cant do that then take a second battery, even just one of those jump start battries. If you check the link for ebay at the bottom of my post theres a 22amphour 12 volt that would last for ages running LED's for under $100
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby Bradd » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:37 pm

We have a 38 amp hour Jump Start battery pack which we use for recharging Ipods/mobiles/batteries,
powering the 12volt shower and for powering extra lighting if needed.

But wouldn't leave home without the Gas lantern for lighting up the campsite area.
We have an almost 3yo and 2 teenagers
All 3 of them know not to touch it and only my wife or myself light it / turn it off.
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Return to Gear Guide