Single parent camping

Questions, answers, tips and more about camping with children and babies.

Re: Single parent camping

Postby Lin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:33 pm

Hey, wouldn't it be great to have a list as a 'sticky' in one of the forums? And then others can add items too.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:47 pm

I used to have a small hard cover book that I wrote everything in....food, drinks, manchester, camping items, pot, pans, water containers etc and would tick them off as I went. I would take it away with me and every camp I would sit and look around to see what I could improve.....what I had forgotten etc…..it would all go into the book.

Now improvement did not necessarily mean taking more....sometimes it meant just swapping things about.

I had and still have my camping items totally separate to my 'home' items. Everything was packed into plastic boxes and just had to be packed into the vehicle before I left with the exception of perishables. I had boxes with different coloured lids for different items so that I knew what box it was in at a glance by the colour of the lid & it was all recorded in my book.

For example the small red box was always cutlery and the one with the red lid was crockery, cups, glasses etc. I had another one for pots; pans etc and it went on from there. Manchester was packed in one of those striped cheap plastic bags and when I got home and washed it ready for the next trip it was returned to the bag along with some naphthalene or similar.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:49 pm

Repeat post deleted....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ricklanga » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:20 pm

I have placed a copy of my checklist here http://rapidshare.com/files/302620777/C ... cklist.xls if anyone is interested

--
Richard.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby Barnaby Black » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:09 pm

It probably been said already before but :

For a first time camping with kids, could i suggest trying caravan parks? Big4 parks seem to be awesome for kids - not only will you have full ammenities but there are a lot of kids activities available as well. We've stayed at a lot of Big4's and they are all nice and clean, the staff are friendly and plenty of play equipment and almost always a pool.

1 thing though is that kids take to camping like a duck to water - they love the freedom and the fact that parents are relaxing, then the kids will pick up on it too. Keep it simple and have fun!
Barnaby Black

Postby Lin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:57 pm

My first camping trip with my daughter (she was about 2, I think) was to a 'proper' caravan park and I absolutely hated it!

After that we've only been bush camping or to a "primitive camping ground" and I find it far more enjoyable. At the primitive camping ground there are also plenty of kids for my daughter to play with during peak season. And who needs a playground when you have trees to climb in and a beach? :)
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Previous

Return to Camping with Kids