Wee Jasper - Billy Grace Reserve

Re: Wee Jasper - Billy Grace Reserve

Postby Poodle Jewel » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:20 am

Good post Kev.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby cokebottle » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:32 am

Jo&Kev wrote: They descend quickly from the Yass direction and the road is quite narrow and windy.

I can certainly vouch for the roads being narrow & windy, I made an early morning dash into Yass one morning to get a new glass for our gas lamp after ours got smashed & I nearly ended up buried in the front of a tip truck ::()

He was on the wrong side of the road just after I came round a bend coming up from taemas bridge over the murribidgee river & that part of the road is quite good, it gets very narrow & windy in other parts of the road, closer to Wee Jasper even has mirrors on some corners & no guard rails!

Also just above Wee Jasper you go over a cattle/sheep grid & there are sheep on the road!

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby TBF » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:55 am

Thanks Cokebottle

Thats on my gottado list when next in that part of the country.

Aart
TBF
Camping Veteran

Postby Lin » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:58 am

Thanks for that explanation, Kev. I feel very selfish now! :oops:

We're going this weekend, but I'm not sure which of the sites to choose?! Going by the photos I've seen on their Facebook page, I like the look of Micalong Creek best. Swinging bridge also looks interesting on the map.

My daughter would love Billy Grace best because of the playground...
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby cokebottle » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:03 pm

From what little I seen of Micalong it is very basic, the open roof shower (cold only) is alongside the toilet block with a partition around it & a very sparse curtain.

Billy grace would be the go with kids, there is sheep everywhere on the property with a lot of lambs (how cute)

Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby Lin » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:22 pm

I don't mind basic at all. :)

My daughter would love the sheep, but we'd have to keep a much closer eyes on the dogs who might decide they want to go and play with them.

Thanks for posting the photos!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jo&Kev » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:48 pm

Apparently Micalong gets quite busy in peak times because it is at the start of some of the walks and it is quite close to the preferred swimming hole. A lot of Yass locals head down there for a break.

Do let us know which ground you chose and what you thought of it.

Expect a hot one down there though!

Cheers
Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Lin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:59 am

I chose Swinging Bridge reserve. Mainly because of it's big trees and the shade they provided. I did check out Micalong, but thought it was too busy and not enough shade. I went to visit Billy Grace too and it looked ok. My daughter would've probably liked the family atmosphere there. But I liked our spot better.

The river was lovely to look at and listen to, but too shallow to swim where we were. But we discovered there's a deeper stretch a bit further, so if we go again, we'll go there.

The only thing I did not like much were the flies which were abundant. I know it's like that in most places in summer, but I'm spoilt because where I go most, Mystery Bay, there never are many at all. There were also plenty of other creatures that made me feel very, very itchy all over by the time I got home.

Had some gear mishaps again. The hose that I'd attached to the gas bottle before I left did not fit my stove! No idea whose hose it is or where the right one is. So we had to do all our cooking on my friend's one burner. I also did not bring the spanner I tightened the gas hose with, so could not connect my brand spanking new gas lantern. Though I didn't really mind sitting in the dark.

And the road out sure was hairy! Maximum exposure indeed. Fortunately there was no traffic at all when we drove out.

I will go there again for a weekend as it's so close to Canberra and I love the river
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby cokebottle » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:12 am

Lin wrote:I chose Swinging Bridge reserve. Mainly because of it's big trees and the shade they provided. I did check out Micalong, but thought it was too busy and not enough shade. I went to visit Billy Grace too and it looked ok. My daughter would've probably liked the family atmosphere there. But I liked our spot better

Glad you liked it, we drove thru Swinging Bridge on our way to check out Micalong, it seemed a bit creepy to us with those empty fishing huts

When we went through there it had just stopped raining & the road was very slippery...

Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby Lin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:50 pm

We pulled off the road and set up camp just past the road that runs along the toilets. We might have camped along that little road, if it weren't for a whole group of bikies claiming the spot at the end there as I was checking out the place. They were not trouble though and I really liked our spot.

I didn't even notice those sheds! :o
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby cokebottle » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:03 pm

Now tell me, is there actually a "Swinging Bridge" there? :***

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby Jo&Kev » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:17 pm

Michael

There is a swinging bridge. I'll have to admit - you made me curious so one weekend when I had some spare time we went for a drive to have a look around the campsites.

If you have a look at my blog there is a picture of it, but to see it you have to get right down tp the edge of the river bank and look 'behind' one of the huts. Incidentally they begin to fill up this time of year.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Previous

Return to NSW