Where to get tent pole repaired in Brisbane (or how to DIY)?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Where to get tent pole repaired in Brisbane (or how to DIY)?

Postby dcarter » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:23 am

Hi

I'm writing this from inside my rather floppy tent in the rain in a camp site in Port Macquarie and am hoping you'll be able to give some good advice...

A few days ago I tripped, fell into my tent and snapped the connector on one of the poles :( . It's a good, lightweight aliminium pole so I'd prefer to get it fixed rather than replacing with a fibreglass one. The tent is an "REI" brand (a USA retailer) but the pole looks similar to those that come with some tents sold in Australia.

The connector is simply an aliminium tube spot-welded(?) into one side of the sections.
Any idea where I could get this fixed - preferably in Brisbane.

Otherwise I could try fix it myself though do not have a workshop or tools. The pin at the end of the pole seems to be glued in (will have to come out to replace the connector tube) but maybe some twisting and/or heat will help loosen it. See pics below.

Thanks in advance!

The broken pole
IMG_0351-1.JPG

How the pole should look
IMG_0354-1.JPG

The end pin
IMG_0353-1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dcarter

Re: Where to get tent pole repaired in Brisbane (or how to DIY)?

Postby Pauly » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:23 am

The hardest part will be to find an alloy tube with the same OD as the sleeve. The easiets way to repair it will be find a tube fairly close to size, slightly larger better than smaller. Cut it to length the mount it in a vice and cut a slice into the tube with 2 cuts so you take out 2 or 3mm of the tube.

You will have to try knocking out the remaining sleeve thats in the pole, try drilling the spots that you call spot welds (actually pressed ) then it should slid down. Now fit the new sleeve and rivet in place, file any bures and the jobs done.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby Titch » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:26 pm

Pauly wrote:The hardest part will be to find an alloy tube with the same OD as the sleeve. The easiets way to repair it will be find a tube fairly close to size, slightly larger better than smaller. Cut it to length the mount it in a vice and cut a slice into the tube with 2 cuts so you take out 2 or 3mm of the tube.

You will have to try knocking out the remaining sleeve thats in the pole, try drilling the spots that you call spot welds (actually pressed ) then it should slid down. Now fit the new sleeve and rivet in place, file any bures and the jobs done.

Good answer Pauly,
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby dcarter » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:22 pm

Thanks Pauly - That sounds like excellent advice.
If I can't find a camp shop or metal works in Brisbane who can do it I'll try find someone with the tools I can use to do what you suggest.

-Daniel
dcarter

Postby ben... » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:00 pm

you could try Hamlins

Address Unit 8, 210 Robinson Road Geebung, Queensland 4034 Australia

Phone 07 3865 8611

or just about anyone with some tools should be able to sort it out.
ben...
Post Machine!

Return to Gear Guide