My favourite canned meal is still Staggs chilli. The meat does taste like meat and it's tasty, but that's just my personal opinion. I either have it on tortillas - preferably with some avocado and sour cream - or with Deb mashed potato. Not haute cuisine, but I enjoy it!
I recently discovered an easy and unusual pasta that I'm going to make next time I go camping. I am going to try to freeze the cooked chicken, as raw chicking in the esky freaks me out a bit, no matter how well it's packed. I think frozen cooked chicken will be ok if I reheat it thoroughly?
Here's the recipe. Note: I don't add the spring onions nor the parsley. I also cook the zucchini in oil and don't use quite as much butter at the end. Some butter and lots of garlic is a must though. It's a very refreshing dish and my 5yo loves it too.
Ingredients (serves 4)
375g bowtie (farfalle) pasta
100g butter, chopped
2 zucchini, coarsely grated
2 yellow zucchini, coarsely grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 large lemon, rind finely grated, juiced
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
grated parmesan cheese, optional, to serve (I think this is vital for the taste!)
Cook pasta in a saucepan of boiling salted water, following packet directions, until tender. Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat 30g butter in a large, deep-sided frying pan over medium heat. Add zucchini and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until zucchini is soft. Add chicken and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until heated through.
Add pasta, remaining 70g butter, green onions, lemon rind, 1/4 cup lemon juice and parsley to chicken mixture. Cook, stirring, over low heat until heated through. Sprinkle with parmesan, if using. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
Also, Choice magazine just did an article on ready-made meals. You need to have a subscription to see the results though. I'll paste the "What to buy" results here:
Enjoyo Indian Butter Chicken & Rice
* “Quite spicy. Seems to be generous with chicken bits.”
* “Compares with a restaurant meal (a cheap one, obviously).”
* “Good curry flavour with bit of a kick.”
Heinz Big Eat Spaghetti Bolognese
* “Rich, but not overpowering. In one word: hearty.”
* “Flavour is good, but the spaghetti is too short and too limp.”
* “Smells nice and tomatoey.”
Enjoyo Beef Stroganoff & Rice
* “The rice is too gluggy, but the stroganoff tastes better than it looks.”
* “Looks bad but tastes quite good. The rice is very gluggy.”
* “A bit sloppy-looking, big bits of mushroom; meat could be a bit bigger.”
Heinz Three Cheese* Tortellini Creamy Pumpkin & Roasted Garlic
* “Quite yummy. Not heavy, despite three cheeses and garlic. Could taste pumpkin.”
* “Tastes really nice – like there may be some blue cheese in it.”
* “Beautiful colour and smells of pumpkin.”
Leggo’s Pasta Meals Napoletana
* “Looks and smells good. Pasta not too soft or hard.”
* “The pasta is good and the sauce tasted good – just the right amount.”
* “Sauce is OK but a bit bland. Needs spices and more herbs.”