Hi from Latrobe Valley Vic

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Hi from Latrobe Valley Vic

Postby midvalleyguy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:09 pm

:hello:

Enjoying reading the posts. Went from a tent to a small CUB campertrailer about 6 years ago, and have revised my simple camping setup as new ideas come to light. Weaned myself off caravan parks four years ago (too expensive anyway), and now only go bush camping (mainly at moment in Vic State Parks) using a few batteries, a small solar panel, and 12V equipment. Went from a 3-way fridge to a 4 day icebox - much simpler for me. Only have a sedan - no 4WD yet.

Have just come back from a 3 week camping holiday - not one cent paid out in accommodation anywhere. My most recent "luxury" is an instant hot water system, but the more I think about it, it's not a luxury at all :armsup .

As has been mentioned in numerous other posts, the Camps book is well worth purchasing, but it's best to be aware that it doesn't list all free sites, and can be somewhat misleading as far as campertrailers go, so don't totally rely on it - best to own a few of these camping books. After my trip, I'm still amazed how many beautiful free camping spots there are available out there.

The two most disappointing aspects I discovered on my trip are (1) the proliferation of wooden and metal bollards rapidly decreasing the amount of space available for setting up campertrailers and (2) the increasing use of cheap noisy generators for non-emergency use.

Regards

MVG
Last edited by midvalleyguy on Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
midvalleyguy

Re: Hi from Latrobe Valley Vic

Postby amanda » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:20 pm

Welcome. I totally agree regarding the generators.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:53 pm

Hello MVG and WELCOME to the forum. I personally don't have a problem with generators if they are used in consideration of others and of course I would prefer the quieter ones.

If it means someone is going to have to miss out on a camp because they have to use a genny for a particular reason then I would hate to think that my intolerance of such was the reason.

CONSIDERATION of others is my only criteria.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby HGMonaro » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:38 am

Hi MVG. Welcome! This place seems a little slow compared to many forums, but we pride ourselves in quality over quantity! Gypsylady gives the 2nd category a good go too :)

I'm originally from Morwell (have still got family there). Might have to hit you up for some suggestions for quiet spots on busy, long weekends!!!

Cheers, Nige
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby midvalleyguy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:13 am

Hi Nige

[quote="HGMonaro"]Hi MVG. Welcome! This place seems a little slow compared to many forums, but we pride ourselves in quality over quantity! Gypsylady gives the 2nd category a good go too :)

There's no daylight saving in Qld, so I guess people living there have less time to get outside and go camping and more time to get involved on Forums ??? :roll: :cry: :lol: (just teasin' gypsylady - thank you for the nice welcome).

QUOTE I'm originally from Morwell (have still got family there). Might have to hit you up for some suggestions for quiet spots on busy, long weekends!!!

I think quiet spots for long weekends are disappearing fast, especially at Easter. But White Womans Waterhole near Won Wron is certainly worth considering, as is Senisis in Moondarra State Park near Erica. Caringal Scout Camp near Erica also worthwhile, but gets crowded. Be sure to ask down the track if you need any other ideas. All depends on your needs. I'm a bush camper.

Cheers

MVG
midvalleyguy

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:13 pm

midvalleyguy wrote:
There's no daylight saving in Qld, so I guess people living there have less time to get outside and go camping and more time to get involved on Forums .

I'm a bush camper.

Cheers

MVG

Hey I agree MVG....I would love to have DST here in Qld and it peeves me every year that we miss out.

I too love bush camping....not into caravan parks at all and if I do have to go commercial then it is an unstructured campground as opposed to a CP.

Give me the sounds/smells/atmosphere of a bush camp anytime.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Bradd » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:38 pm

Hello fellow Victorian

You weren't at the Australian Camper Trailers Group Weekend at Mty Buangor by chance? ... I met a couple of
Latrobe Valley people there (can not recall names though).

Free / Very Cheap is the only way I go, especially when a Caravan Park wants to charge extra for my not quite 3 yo
when already paying extra for the 2 teenagers who just sit and listen to their iPods half the time not using park facilities.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Us Victorians should arrange a Camping.com.au weekend away.
I guess that should be in its own thread.
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby midvalleyguy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:32 am

Hi Bradd

Yes - I was at Mt.Buangor on the Melb Cup Weekend for the Campertrailer Group get together - I am a member. Perhaps we met there. It's still one of my favourite Vic free camping spots (large, quiet, not too many bollards). Also managed to do a bit of geocaching while I was there.

QUOTE:Us Victorians should arrange a Camping.com.au weekend away.
I guess that should be in its own thread.

I'd be very interested. Don't know the "legalities" - perhaps it might be worthwhile pursuing it further with camping.com.au and then starting a new thread.

Regards

MVG
midvalleyguy

Postby Bradd » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:20 am

Unofficial Weekend Away might be less complex.

The hard part is getting all interested in the same date & place :lol:
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby amanda » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:25 am

Start a thread in "Groups and Activities" just asking who'd be interested and take it from there. Good luck - It'd be great if you could get something happening in Victoria.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby midvalleyguy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:24 am

amanda wrote:Start a thread in "Groups and Activities" just asking who'd be interested and take it from there. Good luck - It'd be great if you could get something happening in Victoria.

Good idea Amanda - that's the best approach to suss out if there's any interest at all in Vic.

With the campertrailer group I belong to, it goes like this. A member - the "host" (different each time) - finds a suitable spot (usually bush camping with a minimum requirement of a longdrop toilet), announces well ahead a date (usually a long weekend) and a few location details, distance from nearest capital city, etc. People then vote to attend, etc. There is never any further discussion regarding date or location - you can either make it or you can't.

My suggestion with this Group is that someone more or less follows the same idea. Let the organizer choose a date & location that suits him/her best, but always assume you will be the only one attending. I reckon forget all about trying to get everyone interested in the same date & place - otherwise nothing will happen due to email ping-pong. Just do it, and people will try and come. If they can't there will be another one.

Unfortunately Australia Day 2010 is not a long weekend in Vic.

Over to you Bradd! It's your idea.....

Regards

MVG

(P.S. I'd be happy to try and organize the second Vic one in Gippsland :grin: ).
(PPS. I don't go camping in winter in Vic).
midvalleyguy

Postby amanda » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:25 pm

That's definetely the way to go.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Bradd » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:54 pm

While Australia Day is not technically a long weekend .....
If you get in now before the boss realises it, book Monday
the 25th as a day off and have a nice 4 day weekend.
I just told my wife to arrange that day off if possible.
We would likely be going away regardless.

Last Australia Day Weekend we ended up at Bass Valley
Reserve in Poowong after missing out by 1 for a spot at Bear Gully.
Anything remotely near Wilsons Prom was full.
Nothing flash there, but enough room for maybe 10 - 12
Working flush toilet (assuming the rainwater tanks have water)
1 Picnic table & a vandalised fireplace

Long weekends seem to be few and far between in recent years
I'm sure there was almost 1 per month when i was a kid.

White Womans Waterhole near Won Wron is certainly worth considering

Going by the map it would be a great location, When planning my Paradise Beach trip
this was one of my fall back locations. But when researching I discovered that the
Black Friday Bushfires went through that area and therefore decided against it.
If you have better information, please let me know as it's a pretty reasonable distance for
any Melbournian to travel to and is close to Wilson's Prom, 90 Mile Beach,
Tarra Bulga National Park & other South Gippsland attractions

Next Available long weekends =
    Christmas
    Saturday 26 (boxing day) - Monday 28th (Day in liue of Boxing day)
    Might even head off Xmas day

New Years
    Friday 1 (New Years Day) - Sunday 3 January

Labour Day (Vic)
    Saturday 6 - Monday 8 March

Easter
    Friday April 2 - Monday April 5

Will start a dedicated thread once I can work out a few potential places.
Maybe do a poll for the Victorians to see how far they are prepared to go
eg 2, 3, 4 5 hours from Melbourne.
Personally I would go 5 + hours drive for a full 3+ day weekend
but wouldn't feel like drivinh more than 2 or so for an over nighter.
The further we are all prepared to go, the greater the choices.
There is not a lot of "free" camp spots close to Melb & any that are
decent will be full on any given Long Weekend & the closer to town
the greater the chance of having W**kers turning up and ruining your weekend.

Anyway, the red wine is taking effect and I barely remember the original question
so I will leave it at this till I have a clue what I am talking about lol :beer
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby midvalleyguy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:09 am

Bradd wrote:[quote MVG]White Womans Waterhole near Won Wron is certainly worth considering

Going by the map it would be a great location, When planning my Paradise Beach trip
this was one of my fall back locations. But when researching I discovered that the
Black Friday Bushfires went through that area and therefore decided against it.
If you have better information, please let me know as it's a pretty reasonable distance for
any Melbournian to travel to and is close to Wilson's Prom, 90 Mile Beach,
Tarra Bulga National Park & other South Gippsland attractions

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
(still can't work out the quoting method :( )

Hi Bradd

I’ve been away since last week– still catching up on posts.

I hosted a campertrailer group get together at WWW last Australia Day Weekend. The Black Saturday bushfires left a trail of damage in the general area, mainly burnt bush and lost wildlife. At the actual campsite the building works that were going on when we were there (disabled access walkway, wooden bridge) have mostly survived. The old original drop toilet has some slight roof damage, but is usable. So everything is more or less as it was, with regeneration of the surrounding vegetation occurring fairly rapidly. Campers are still most welcome - it's business as usual.

Not sure where you have been researching WWW, as the DSE and parks Vic websites are not updated regularly. I have always found it best to phone the local DSE office (in this case it’s at Yarram), and ask to actually speak to the local Ranger responsible (it was Bob Chaffey then). It is most important to tell the Ranger if you are bringing a group to camp there, as it is with any Vic State Park.

My suggestion for anyone ever wanting to camp in this area is to base yourself at White Womans Waterhole, and do day excursions to Hiawatha (another campsite), Tom's Cap Lookout & Winery, and Woodside Beach. Lots of history, and 4WD tracks in the area. Note – this is a bush camp site - there is no water of any sort at WWW, so you have to bring your own. And no nearby town for supplies.

Hope this helps. Nothing much more I can add. Will look forward to seeing your poll - best idea.

MVG

P.S. I should declare my loyalties. If my campertrailer group suddenly announces something else is on in Vic over the Australia Day weekend, I will most likely be attending that (depending on distance).
midvalleyguy

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:55 am

Bradd wrote:While Australia Day is not technically a long weekend .....
If you get in now before the boss realises it, book Monday
the 25th as a day off and have a nice 4 day weekend.

I did that about 2 months ago....then booked my accommodation etc and have a receipt to prove it. Now the boss can't not let me have the time off.....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to Introductions: