Yet another fridge question...

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Yet another fridge question...

Postby Young Camping Family » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:14 pm

I've seen in the Repco catalogue they have a 45L 3-way fridge for $399.

I've done a google search and come up with nothing, so does anyone know if you could run a 3 way fridge on gas inside a tent?
I know it has a flame at the rear, but would it be a fire hazard?
Our tent (nylon) has a front vestibule - it has sides and a floor but they aren't joined/sewn together, so there is some air flow in that area.
I just worry that if we set it up outside the tent it may go walkabouts...
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Re: Yet another fridge question...

Postby markcrook » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:44 pm

I would say no because of the carbon monoxide as well as a fire risk, but then my parents caravan has a 3 way fridge - I guess it must be vented in some way.
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby Ricklanga » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:45 pm

Never, ever, ever run a gas appliance in a tent. Aside from the fire danger, there is a good chance you will go to bed and not wake up. Read this: http://www.dme.qld.gov.au/media_centre.cfm?item=770.00

--
Richard.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby amanda » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:57 pm

ricklanga wrote:Never, ever, ever run a gas appliance in a tent. Aside from the fire danger, there is a good chance you will go to bed and not wake up. Read this: http://www.dme.qld.gov.au/media_centre.cfm?item=770.00

--
Richard.

That article spells it out very clearly - DON'T DO IT - please!
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:29 pm

If it's the same catalouge I recently looked at, for not a lot more they have a 12v/24v/240v Fridge/Freezer.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby steve&Kate » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:21 pm

Hi Young Camping Family,

3 way fridges apart from one that are built into caravans should not be used in enclosed spaces caravans, tents etc, if you purchase one the instructions will advise you of that.

cheers
steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby Young Camping Family » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:00 pm

Ta, that's what I was looking for :)
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Postby midvalleyguy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:10 am

For the 4 years I owned my Repco 35 litre fridge, I used to set it up outside about 3 metres from my campertrailer. I ran it on gas at every campsite - very efficient, beer froze overnight, 2 kg bottle lasted at least 5 days. I never ever had a second thought about security. Most people at campsites have these in full view. Never heard of a theft. Perhaps because of the weight - have you lifted one full of food and drink? Be aware that in Vic these can't be used on gas on Total Fire Ban days, and can't be used fullstop in National Parks in S.A. Also, the Repco is not efficient on 12V.

I've now switched to a 50 litre 4 day cooler (not a deluxe $320 EvaKool, just a basic $140 "icebox"). Can stay in the car, or be put inside my campertrailer. Or hidden somewhere outside by covering it over with something. The record so far is 5-6 days on one bag of ice at an average ambient temp of 30 degrees.

In your particular situation, I would seriously consider as an alternative a good quality cooler - totally safe, and can be totally out of view in your tent. Just need to get some ice every 4-5 days.

Regards

MVG
midvalleyguy

Return to Gear Guide