Charleyong Crossing - Free bush camp

Charleyong Crossing - Free bush camp

Postby Jo&Kev » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:27 am

After a week away with work I got back to home and Jo had decided we were going to go camping for the weekend, with the dog, either at the beach or on a river.

Our initial plan, once we decided was to go to Corang River, which or research told us was free and dogs were permitted to we packed the Disco and off we went. I had downloaded a whole stack of campsite waypoints for my 4WD GPS and this was the first time I had had the opportunity to use it. Corang River is between Braidwood and Nowra and sort of between 2 National Parks so it seemed a pretty unique place to stay. It is also a conservation and regeneration area for the Corang Pine. We were looking forward to it - until we arrived. It was un-mowed, there was broken glass, and the biggest ants I have ever seen. Access to the river was also fairly ordinary, through a gate, down to a 'drop-off' on the bank.

So we decided to go to Charleyong Crossing, where according to the GPS was another campground.

We backtracked a bit, had a shallow water crossing (it was about the same depth as my rubber thongs - my feet just got we walking through) and found the site. And we are glad we did!

It turned out Charleyong Crossing is the far better campsite. It is free, dogs allowed, tidy free camping area, plenty of shade, fewer ants, easy walk to the 'beach' and to the river.

Our nearest neighbor:

Our campsite:

Our view

The river

The beach

It's about 2 hours from Canberra, accessible through either Braidwood or Tarago (or Nowra) by 2WD, but it is a well maintained dirt road both ways. There are also river crossings via causeways both ways as well.

If you are down this way it is an alternative to Wee Jasper and the Brindabella Ranges for some free bush camping.

The GPS details and map to Ozcamps (http://ozcamps.net/index.php?option=com ... &Itemid=29)

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Re: Charleyong Crossing - Free bush camp

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:25 am

Looks like the ideal spot for a bit of R&R Kev.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby funnymummy7 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:27 pm

How far from Nowra do you think this site is? It looks like great place to relax
funnymummy7
Boy Scout

Postby Jo&Kev » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:24 am

That I couldn't be sure of...

At a guess about two hours, maybe less if you don't mind a bit of dirt and National Park driving. It's not that far from Nerriga. We went across from Braidwood and returned via Tarago. I would suggest from Penrith (we moved down here from Mt Druitt) head to Goulburn and leave the Hume Hwy, onto Braidwood Road, then onto Lumley Rd, Mayfield Rd and Stewart's Crossing Rd.

Your destination is about -35.245278,149.891389 in GPS terms. If you go to google maps put in the numbers as your destination it will give you some idea. Sometimes though google maps is not to be trusted! It can miss minor sealed country roads (especially down here) and it misses a lot of well maintained 2WD dirt roads.

Cheers
Kev
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Jo&Kev » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:30 am

I have finally got our blog up. Some more details are on there - and bigger pics.

Kev
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:08 am

CONGRATULATIONS Kev, just checked out your new blog....doin' good.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Bradd » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:10 pm

Thanks, Looks like a good spot.

We are now heading Nth for Summer holidays (last post said West to SA lol)
We will be looking for potential free camp sites after we leave Canberra, so
this could be worth checking out.
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:27 am

Thanks GL - main thing is that it allows me to post pics that are thumbnailed and you have the option of clicking to get a big version.

Bradd - it's definitely worth a look. If you have no pets and a couple of days there are some great 4WD tracks and spectacular NP's and State Forests in the the area.

Kev
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Return to NSW