Passing of a furry camper

Questions, answers, tips and more about camping with pets.

Passing of a furry camper

Postby AussieSunset » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:16 am

Phoebe my best mate and companion of 10 years passed on the 10/12/09. She had cancer for 2 years. She loved camping, storm chasing and the beach. She is so greatly missed. :cry:
Thank you to GypsyLady for the support, friendship and putting me onto http://www.petseternalpeace.com.au/ who have been fantastic and i highly recommend them.
Thank you to Poodle Jewels also for all her support and friendship.
Life is what happens when you've made other plans. :)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Re: Passing of a furry camper

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:14 pm

I totally understand your loss AS.....Phoebe was lucky to have you in her life just as you were to have her. Giving love and receiving love from a pet is very much a two way street though I sometimes think we as humans are the greatest winners.

I recently came across this beautiful quote:
UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PORTION OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED

I am sure you have seen the Rainbow Bridge but I will include it just the same.

Rainbow Bridge ~
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. Her bright eyes are intent; Her eager body quivers.

Suddenly she begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass,
her legs carrying her faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart. Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

My Deepest Sympathy for the Loss of Your Beautiful Phoebe...

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:47 pm

So sorry AS - I'm sure you have a million happy memories though.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Ricklanga » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:20 pm

Sorry for your loss. We lost our little dog on 06/12/09. She got very sick quite suddenly & the vet was not able to treat her affectively & we were forced to have her put down. What made it even harder is that she originally belonged to my sister who passed away from cancer 2 years ago. My wife & kids & I were all totaly devestated. It's just not the same coming home from work without her there to greet me. The vet thinks she may have eaten cycad seeds. We have them in our garden but didn't realize they were so lethal. I hope you feel at peace soon. Losses like this are never easy.
Jenna.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby AussieSunset » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:45 pm

So sorry to hear of your loss ricklanga. It's such a hard thing to go through. It was the hardest thing i have every had to do. Our home is so empty too as just about everything we did involved Phoebe in one way or another. Coming home and she's not there is a very hard thing.
I feel a little better now that she is back home ...just in a different form is all as we had her cremated and have her ashes in a lovely box.
I hope your family feel better soon.

Thank you GL and Amanda. Yes we have lots of happy memories. It would have been her 10th birthday tomorrow (18th Dec) I had her since a pup of 6 weeks old. She was a very special girl.
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:46 am

I am pleased to hear she is now back home with you AS...she is back where she belongs.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:52 am

What a beautiful photo rick of your girl & such a great looking girl too. I can understand the attachment and on this occasion doubly so. My heart is very heavy for you and your family......please accept my deepest sympathies.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ricklanga » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:06 pm

Thank you AS & GL. I decided I did not want another dog after losing jenna but as time passes I think we will sometime. The house seems happier with a dog around & no matter what sort of day the dog might have had, they are always happy to see you. People could learn a lot from dogs I think. One thing for certain is that before I even consider getting another, I will be sure make our garden more dog friendly. I never realized how many plants in our garden are potentially dangerous or fatal to dogs.

--
Richard.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:31 pm

I agree....we can learn a lot from our dogs and they sure do make the crap bits of our lives feel so much better.

I'd be lost without my girls.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby AussieSunset » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:28 pm

Totally agree with you both. A lot of times i find them a lot smarter than some humans. I'm sure I would have been in the loony bin if i didn't have Phoebe, especially with 4 teenagers to bring up by myself. They are a blessing to our lives, I can't see my life without a furry friend by my side. I will be getting another fairly soon as my sisters toy poodle is in pup (we're hopping and 80% sure she is) and due on the 3rd of January so i will get one of them. I was planning to get one anyway so nothing has changed as far as that goes but it would have been nicer for Phoebe to still be around with the pup too. Phoebe could never be replaced as each furry friend has their own uniqueness and each one is special in their own way.
It was weird the other day as i smelt her by my side sitting on the PC where she always was. It was a damp dog smell like she use to smell when she came back from the beach. So i know where she's been lol So she mite still be around and keep the pup in line lol
With the poodle pup I'm going to try get the pet insurance as I've had a good taste of vet bills in the last few years. I couldn't get it for Phoebe as she already had her condition so wouldn't have been covered by the time i found out about it.
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:31 pm

I looked at insurance for my girls but found it was too expensive overall.

Will be interested to see what you come up with AS.....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby AussieSunset » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:07 am

Will be looking back into insurance in the next couple of weeks as the pup hopefully will be born today. I remember RSPA being the best for the $$ but will look again very carefully. I will post what i find.

Pets Eternal Peace http://www.petseternalpeace.com.au/ have asked for photos of Phoebe to put on their web site and the thank you letter i wrote them. I said yes of course so she will be on their web site soon.

Heather :)
Last edited by AussieSunset on Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:12 am

AussieSunset wrote: the pup hopefully will be born today.
Heather :)

Puppy a bit late?????
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby AussieSunset » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:23 am

Nah not really she had 2 matings 2 days apart so i think she must have took on the second one. We can feel them in there so she's definatly preger's and she's doing all the normal things an expecting dog does so hopefully today as it's her first pregnacy so she could go a little late. But today is the due date for the second mating.
I got pregnacy all around me at the moment as i have 2 daughters expecting their second children as well. So by the end of july this year i'll have 6 grandchildren as well as a new pup lol babies everywhere gee i'm going to be so broke :***
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:34 pm

AussieSunset wrote: So by the end of july this year i'll have 6 grandchildren as well as a new pup lol babies everywhere gee i'm going to be so broke :***

You wouldn't be in line to spoil them.....much!!!!!
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Camping with Pets