New Rav4 CV

Let’s hear about all those weekend toys for the boys (and girls) boats, skis, camper trailers, motor homes, 4wheel drives OK even airplanes (again add the make and model to the title we will organise as it gets unmanageable).

New Rav4 CV

Postby stevo. » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:47 pm

I just picked this up today, brand spankin new with 10Ks on the clock. It's not mine unfortunately. My mum was after a new car and didn't want to deal with the car dealers so i organised it, trading in her Camry for this, Rav4 CV. It's the base model but still a very nice car. I kept stalling it because it's so quiet you can't tell if it's running or not ! anyway, i get to drive it around for a while. I wasn't really in to these kinds of cars but after driving it, i woudn't mind one!

my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Re: New Rav4 CV

Postby Blue Bravo » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:37 am

Niiiice one :grin:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jo&Kev » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:45 pm

I was never a real fan of the 'soft-roaders' or SUV's or whatever else they get called from time to time, but after driving a Territory for a couple of days it grew on me.

A friend has a RAV and swears by it. Indeed he has treated it like dirt for years and it just keeps on going and going. Enjoy it while you can.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby dea » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:59 pm

very nice.. my aunty had a rav for years & loved it ....
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby stevo. » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:32 am

So, 6 months later, and it's going well.

I think we have come to the conclusion that the manual model is just weirdly set up. The engine is too quiet, i reckon the accelerator pedal has a delay before the engine revs, and the gear stick is in a weird position, it seems to lean forward. When you're in 4th it's straight up (vertical). So it's just weird to drive, you constantly stall it and the have problems selecting gears purely because it's so different to other normal cars.

Still a nice car to drive, but I think we may have been better off getting an automatic, so then we wouldn't have any of these wierd issues.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:33 pm

The new 70 series Landcruiser Workmate has a weird gearshift and I have to stretch for it….not impressed. Needless to say I have decided not to buy one.

For towing I prefer an auto…..to be honest I figure I don’t have to prove anything to anyone so prefer an auto all round. One less decision I have to make.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby HGMonaro » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:14 pm

I drove one a model or 2 ago when shopping for a AWD (ended up with a Subaru Outback) and I remember some similar thoughts. The engine spins up the rev range so quickly with minimal noise until you really rev it hard when it does get noisy. Didn't have a problem with the gearshift (was a manual) and can't remember stalling it. the Subi was almost the complete opposite... the motor makes it's distinct growl from low to high revs but didn't change that much.

What I did (and still do even though we now have a Prado) is the general usefulness of a car with good approach and departure angles for city use. You can jump a gutter if you have too and bump into parking lot curbs (with your tyres) without damaging anything, where my low riding HSV Clubsport scraps either end even in normal driveways.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Return to Recreation Vehicles