Rainbow Waters Holiday Park

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Rainbow Waters Holiday Park

Postby smiththenovice » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:18 am

Has anyone been to this place? Wondering what it is like..

http://www.rainbowwaters.com.au/index.htm
smiththenovice
Captain Camping

Re: Rainbow Waters Holiday Park

Postby dea » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:16 pm

no but looks nice .. like the idea of we can take dogs ..
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby mitza » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:15 pm

Yes, we had our camping trip there recently.

The place is nice, but we were attacked by an entire army of sandflies...it's been 2 weeks since then and my toddler is still scratching herself.

I wouldn't dare to go there again...
mitza
Boy Scout

Postby scrubber » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:20 pm

We have been there quite a few times now. Like the previous post, we did get mauled by sandflies once(and only once). We pulled out the Bushmans Insect repellant and that seemed to deal with them. Every other time we have been there we haven't had a problem with them.
  • The grounds are well looked after
  • you generally have enough space so that you are not camped on top of each other(I hate camping close to others)
  • you don't have to pay for showers
  • you can have a fire at your campsite(ie no designated fire spots)
  • there are no designated campsites (find a spot that you like - its yours)
  • there is a communal kitchen area with 2 BBQs, microwave, fridges, toaster, kettle, sinks
  • close to a boat ramp and a jetty
  • you can hire tinnies at the boat ramp
  • its been very quiet everytime we have been there (big plus)
  • lots of shady areas to camp under if you like
  • shop that stocks your basics and fishing gear
  • very kid friendly - playgound(basic), flat(bring their bikes), swimming close by

We'd go back there again
scrubber

Postby smiththenovice » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:46 pm

Thanks Scrubber I was starting to get a little worried...we'll be sure to pack the bushman's. How close is it to the water from the unpowered camp sites? And what is the water like?
smiththenovice
Captain Camping

Postby scrubber » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:58 pm

Generally the shady sites are on the water or not far from it(no more than 50-100 metres). The water is tidal so at low tide it is a mix of mud flats and sand. The powered sites from memory are more towards the middle of the campground and a bit further away from the water(good if you have young ones). We don't camp at powered sites so I can't really remember their locations. We have young kids so have camped as far from the water as we could ie the "H" area http://www.rainbowwaters.com.au/pdf/rainbow-waters-holiday-park-map.pdf
scrubber

Postby smiththenovice » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:11 pm

That's great and exactly the sort of info I was after :cheers .

We also have little ones (4, including 3 yo twins) that's why I like the idea of Rainbow Waters. It looks like the water is quite calm, so good for swimming. Might do a recce up there before we set off for a long stay. Planning on 2 weeks over Christmas...
smiththenovice
Captain Camping

Postby twinmama » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:06 pm

Nice place - but I wouldn't return at Christmas. We spent last Christmas there with my sister, her fiance and my then 4 year old twins. It was packed. The amenities are not enough for the amount of people and it was common to queue for an hour for a shower (we tried going early, then going later - you basically had to go before around 5pm or after 9pm to have a shower without a massive queue - not good with kids). My sister got eatn alive with sandflies. The closer you are to the water the more sandflies there are. Shade is not abundant - and we roasted - I mean most days were nearly 40deg and it was just so stinking hot. The thing that really got it for us but was New Years Eve - the people in the tent behind us (literally a metre away from our tent) did an all nighter. My sister ended up getting up at 4am and telling them to be quiet - we then got an hour or two's worth of sleep before the sun came up and started to cook us in our tent. We were supposed to stay another day but packed up that day as we'd just had enough.

We're off to Borumba Deer park tomorrow - still expecting it to be packed but a bit more family friendly.
twinmama

Return to Camping Tips and Locations