Re-seasoning a camp oven

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Re-seasoning a camp oven

Postby slug » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:13 pm

Gday all,

Im so glad summer is here! Not only am i getting out and about a bit more its pushed me to have a clean up and sort of my gear.

after a few lazy trips and lending my gear out my camp ovens look a little ordinary. Well, one is worse than the other. I took the plunge and decided to wash the worse one and reseason. I probably didnt season them real well to start with but they have been good to me despite that.

My first question is can anyone recommend the best way to clean off really stubborn grease? There are a few areas of thick grease (around the join of lip and pot mainly) that regular detergent just wont move and just gums up a stiff brush. Is there anything a bit stringer im not thinking of?

Secondly, do others regularly re-season or re do their ovens? My other oven isnt too bad but i certainly think it could be better.

Thanks all for any replies!
slug
Captain Camping

Re: Re-seasoning a camp oven

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:30 pm

The best way to do that is to burn it off. I use a hooded barbecue to do it. Get it as hot as you can and you will find it will turn to dust and you can brush it off.

If no barbecue then you can use a good fire.

Have a look on my website about seasoning. http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/campo ... m#51994680

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:03 pm

It just needs a good camp oven question to bring you to life, hey Derek????

Did you get away at all over the xmas break??

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:06 pm

gypsylady wrote:Did you get away at all over the xmas break??

Nope, was a home family time this year. Did a bit of cooking in the weber.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby slug » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:09 pm

Cheers Derek,
yeah thats what ive based all my work so far on. Although when i first did it years ago i couldnt find your website again and hence i may not have left it long enough in the oven.

ill fire up the webber and see if it can get it hot enough. I assume you take care of yours after each use and dont need to re-season?

Thanks again Derek!
slug
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:16 pm

Derek wrote:
Nope, was a home family time this year. Did a bit of cooking in the weber.

With the new family members too I suspect.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby slug » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:20 pm

Derek,

just thought it might help you sleep at night knowing that there is one less poorly seasoned camp oven in the world! Gave my old one a few goes in the weber on the weekend and it has come up great! I now plan to wash out the old furphy i have and give it the same treatment. I had a thought while watching my weber glow, is there a "saturation point" whereby going through the seasoning process will no longer add any benefit or can you only get better?

I also tried to season a new jaffle iron but it had alot of rubbish on it. I think ill try to burn it off like you suggested.

Thanks again
slug
Captain Camping

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:01 pm

slug wrote:I had a thought while watching my weber glow, is there a "saturation point" whereby going through the seasoning process will no longer add any benefit or can you only get better?

No I don't think there is. They just keep getting better.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Smileandhug » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:20 pm

Derek I found a camp oven in the creek at Canungra at Xmas. Pulled it out, had pretty thick surface rust but i threw it on the fire a few times and used a wire brush n now I have it all smooth. But the thing is its all rusty looking now. So whats the go? Do I just oil over the rusty smooth surface and cook again a few times or should I do something to it before I oil it n cook it?? Thanks Geoff
I AM LIKE A HOLE IN THE GROUND WITH WATER IN IT - I AM WELL
Smileandhug
Camping Veteran

Return to Camping Tips and Locations