Help with CT's please

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Help with CT's please

Postby Narelle » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:15 pm

Hi
we are considering a CT to help us get away more often without the big pack up that the tent requires. We live in Tas, so there aren't heaps of brands on display to look at :(

Today I have seen OzTrail, Wild Country and Freetime, none of which I fell overly in love with for the price.

We have seen the GIC online and their super price atm, but by the time we freight it here, add a couple of extras we want, we can probably get something more local for the same price.

A few questions,

- what do YOU consider essential in your CT? Remembering that we probably won't go significantly offroad and most camping will be in caravan parks of some description at this point. DH is only a virgin camper so can't turn him off too quick!

- are there many brands that flip from the back rather than the side? I've seen Outback and some relo's have one, but no outlets here in Tas.

- we already have all the camping kitchen stuff, is there any benefit to getting a kitchen such as a Drifta pullout or swingout attached to the tailgate? I love the look of the Drifta pullouts, but I'm a gadget girl and can easily get sucked in to that stuff that in reality isn't necessary.

There is a local brand http://www.campersdelight.com.au/ that I have seen but before we were considering getting one ourselves. It looked really good, the website sells it well etc. Price wise it comes out at about $6600 for trailer and tent, no kitchen but they sell all Drifta kitchens and storage. The awning/annexe is included with 2 sides and mesh I like the idea of buying something local so that we can go back and get extras added if needed. It has the ability for another room to be added.
Can someone who knows CT's have a squiz at the website for me and give some feedback please?

That's all the questions I can think of right now but I'm sure there'll be more

Thanks
narelle
Narelle

Re: Help with CT's please

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:28 pm

Hi narelle & WELCOME to the forum.

Living in Qld I am afraid I know nothing of what is available in Tassie but there are heaps and I mean heaps of rear fold CTs here on the mainland. Most are hard floor flip over versions.

If you already have a heap of camping gear I would be inclined to keep it simple and make use of that gear.

I would also consider purchasing pre loved and suggest you have a look at this site http://www.campertrailers.org/camper_trader.htm

My first CT was a pre loved and it served me well for a number of years.

I looked at the link you provided and feel that the CT shown is perhaps a bit difficult to set up and to me the two most important requirements at ease of set up and a comfy bed.

In fact the only reason I sold my first camper was because whilst I could set it up on my own I could not pack it up on my own and had to always rely on help which did not suit my situation.

I have had CTs for a number of years and the first one, a soft floor had a D door and there was no way it ever let rain in so I don’t understand the comment made on the campers delight website. I personally find the D shape door better especially if it has a 2 way zip which can be zipped from either the top or the bottom. It is more versatile in that you can have the canvas door closed from the bottom with the top open for air flow etc.

My current CT does not have a door like that and it is the one & only thing about the CT that I am not happy about.

You asked if there is any benefit of an on board pull out or even tailgate kitchen and IMO yes there is the convenience of having it permanently there but again if cost is an issue then it is not a necessity as you have the gear already.

On board water and a tap is also another nice/good feature to have and again not a necessity. The same can be said for a battery and 12 volt lighting.

The ‘wish’ list can go on & on but the more you add the more the cost goes up. The CT I have now is one that I designed myself and has just about everything you could ever want in a CT & more……but to purchase it now would probably put it up at about $40,000+.

My recommendation is to have a look at as many CTs as possible including any second hand units….go to the local camping grounds or caravan parks and talk to CT owners…..they are so much more knowledgeable than any salesman and will give you a more honest appraisal.

Research, research, research…..is the best advice I can give you…secondly…Hire a CT if at all possible and it will give you a greater understanding of what your needs are versus what you think you may need.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:57 pm

What she said :grin:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:17 pm

Blue Bravo wrote:What she said :grin:

Thanks BB...I must have done good then, hey??????
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby CampGrrlz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:50 pm

>what do YOU consider essential in your CT?
Or indeed in any form of accommodation: a *very comfy bed*! The one reason why I bought the first soft-floor camper from the maker was the island bed. Meaning there was no scrambling with one to exit before the other or worse (as in the Camplet) having to scramble down to the bottom of the bed before you could get out. OK for the youngsters but for these old ducks, just not a physical option. The island bed came at a price - queen width and double length. We still have the latex mattress (it weights "a ton"!) and queen bed linen is too long and double bed linen is too narrow. A very comfy bed with simple access is non-negotiable. However un-romantic it might seem, single beds are probably the simplest to access, at least you don't have to breathe in unison and turn over in unison as we did once in the Cub with it's Clayton's-double bed.

The website quoted shows a very klunky camper trailer, it would take an age to get it up never mind take it down again. I fell for the annex and found many feet of very heavy canvas almost beyond my strength to lift never mind zip into place. Even putting a long string on the zip tag and standing on a box still made putting it up a difficult job. The second hard-floor camper did not have an annex and really we did not miss that because it had ample dry space inside if it rained outside. Unless you are going to be in one spot for some weeks and there's a lot of people involved, an annex is almost not necessary. A gazebo or a tarp are simpler to erect and pack.

Take less, not more. Many parks have camp kitchens some rougher than others. Apart from a fridge, a one-burned gas stove and a jug are the basics unless there's a lot of mouths to feed.

Getting 240v wired in with adequate numbers of outlets is a real must. Tripping over cables and powerboards - been there, done that!

Ideally camping should be comfortable but not just like home - not a home away from home but a camp. Otherwise, stay at a motel/hotel/resort.

If you can get onto one, a Slingshot might take some beating - they make them in Victoria when last I heard and they didn't have a website then, either. If there's a camping show anywhere you can get to in the next few months, it would repay the effort in being able to *see* the offerings and talk to the makers.

Sometimes the long way around is the shortest in the end. Time taken now even though you're champing at the bit to get away, will be repaid when you have a fair understanding of the offerings in your area of interest. There's always up sides and down sides and it's often only after using something for a while do you find out what the downsides are that you will not accept.

Happy research ;)

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Narelle » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:06 pm

Thanks so much for the answers so far.

I appreciate you looking at the website I linked, looking with more experienced eyes.

Being patient is going to be a hard thing, but I'll be strong!
Narelle

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:13 pm

Narelle wrote:Being patient is going to be a hard thing, but I'll be strong!

Good girl...it will pay off in the long run.

Half the fun is in the research......
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:14 pm

Narelle, there are so many variations in camper trailers these days and also so many options. Here is a link to mine. Make sure you click on the link to the 240 & 12 volt electrics.

http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/homeawayfromhome.htm

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby amanda » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:16 am

Narelle, I purchased my CT about 18 months ago, and being my first one I didn't want to spend the earth on it. Like you I already had all my kitchen set up from tenting days, so I opted against a built in kitchen. I am still using all of that gear, and am happy to continue doing so. I think I actually prefer it that way as I'm not restricted to the kitchen having to be at the tailgate. Quite a few times recently we have been very grateful for this because we can put the kitchen set up in the best area weather wise, especially when we only want the awning up and not any walls. If the kitchen had been in the tailgate we would have needed to put a side wall up to block the wind, so being able to "move" the kitchen I find to be a benefit most times.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sienna » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:28 am

Hi,
I have recently been where you are now. So much info out there, it's hard to make a decision. So after doing lots of research, listening to the wondrful people here and visiting a show, I found a second hand ct.
One of the most important things to look at is how easy it is to set up because I needed to do it by myself.
Also, the canvas. Not all canvas is made equal. Stay away from ripstop canvas. It is no good. Try to get local aussie made canvas, usually it'll be 15oz on the roof and 12oz on the walls. This canvas is way better than the chinese imported stuff. From what I have been told, oztrail have their canvas made in china but to aus specs so this could be a cheaper option. This was my dilemma - get a second hand aussie canvas ct or new oztrail ct. In the end I got lucky and found an aussie ct - jabiru which is now camel group.
I couldn't be happier.
As suggested, try to get to a show if you can. It is very valuable and you get to see them all set up. I don't know how much freight is but it may be worth it in the long run to get a good ct.

On a side note, I didn't thnk I would need the ktchen but now having a basic one of just the sink and some storage, I am loving it. I have plumbed in the sink and bought a garden hose with a trigger shower hose attachment for water. Wonderful for showering off little and big sandy feet!

Take your time and look at lots and ask heaps of questions.

Good luck
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby snake_dr » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:25 pm

another thing that would assist, if available, is hiring a few different camper trailers the next few times you go away

that way you really get a feel for how things work and what you do and dont like.

but availability may be hard for you
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:19 pm

sienna wrote:Try to get local aussie made canvas, usually it'll be 15oz on the roof and 12oz on the walls.

Don't get too hung up on canvas Narelle, it has come a long way in recent times. 15oz canvas can be really heavy and often you do not have a choice so don't beat yourself up over something you cannot change.

My new camper has 11oz walls and 12 or maybe 13oz roof and it is the good quality Bradmill canvas and believe me there is absolutely nothing wrong with it and it is way more manageable than the 15oz canvas I had on my first camper.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby CampGrrlz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:45 pm

snake_dr wrote:...is hiring a few different camper trailers the next few times...

Oh yes! That would have saved us so much aggravation and dilemmas! But researching as we did, burning up the wires on the 'net we figured we knew *exactly* what we needed. Nup. My excuse at the time was I did not have a tow vehicle and the timing was such that I had to get the tow vehicle and the camper a week or two before our big trip so no time to hire. We did a trial run to (gasp!) Aratula - the noisiest caravan park on the planet. We found out lots there and more each time we pitched and packed up. But by this time we owned the CT and it was too late to make adjustments.

Although quite expensive, hiring a campervan (if no CTs are available for hire close by) for a few days might enlighten you to issues you had not considered. Everything in practice turns out to be quite different from the theory!

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby snake_dr » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:20 pm

yep id do that again next time if i was buying another camper, although there isnt anything id actually change on ours, we were lucky to pick up a really good one from lifestyle campers and other than ruining the canvas cover due to sun exposure its been great.
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby Narelle » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:32 pm

Thanks everyone. Well, it's turning out harder to see new ones than I thought. But I've just spoken to someone with a 2nd hand one that sounds really good for the price - roughly $4.5K with kitchen, fridge, toolbox. Canvas is 14oz custom made 2 yrs old. So we'll go and have a look later in the week.

As far as hiring goes - zip I think here.
Narelle

Next

Return to Camper Trailers