Mosquito zappers

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Mosquito zappers

Postby Young Camping Family » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:35 pm

I was flicking through the Bunnings catalogue and came across a solar powered mosquito zapper (while looking at the solar garden lights)
What do others use to repel insects apart from personal sprays (e.g. aerogard)?
It wasn't very expensive but I suspect you may need a few around the area you would be sitting to be effective.
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Re: Mosquito zappers

Postby Jo&Kev » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:11 pm

We use a gazebo with a screen and some anti-insect candles.

Sometimes works, sometimes not.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Titch » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:54 pm

When we went to Borneo, our Dr suggested using RID, for Mozzies.
Worked very well.Millions of them, no bites.
Ask your Dr next time you visit.
Hope this helps.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby encorepi » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:31 am

We have a mozzie zapper outside at home in Cowes Phillip Island. Useless. I now have a gazebo and mosquito coils. The other thing that works is the one with the butane power capsule and the fan. Don't know the name of it, but it works out expensive as it only lasts a few hours each one, and that would equal 2 a night.

All the best.

Jodi
encorepi
Boy Scout

Postby CampGrrlz » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:21 pm

The mains power zapper I had only killed a few innocent animals like errant bees or mis-directed butterflies. The house flies, blow flies, mozzies and 'roaches flew by regardless. I passed it on to a frog-keen friend who removed the killing screen and used it to attract insects for her frogs. The old-fashioned smoldering coils, especially if enclosed in something which stops them setting fire to anything, are as good as it gets for mild infestations. If you have to wear some kind of gunk on your skins, maybe finding another spot might be preferable especially as none of the 'natural' ones work for me.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Young Camping Family » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:38 pm

CampGrrlz wrote:If you have to wear some kind of gunk on your skins, maybe finding another spot might be preferable especially as none of the 'natural' ones work for me.

Elaine

I'd rather not use chemicals on the kids - especially the 8 month old (I'm not too fussed about myself - I've used it plenty of times before). Just thought if they worked it might be worth a try, but looks like I won't bother. We'll just put on long sleeves and pants in the evenings if it's an issue, and maybe a mozzie candle or coil. Id on't know if it's a mozzie hot spot or not, but usually in summer anywhere/everywhere is!
On the subject of chemicals, has anyone tried that outdoor automatic sprayer one (Mortein/Raid)?
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Postby snake_dr » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:19 pm

i read through a brochure created by brisbane airport in relation to the control of mozzies in the airport precinct and it mentioned that the zappers and mechanical controllers had not been tested to confirm if they work or not, but did say that the original mosquito coils are a proven way to keep them away from you, citronella candles not so much.

i personally throw down 2 mozzie coils at the campsite morning and night no matter where i camp and never have any issue's

wish i could say the same for bloody blow flies....
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby CampGrrlz » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:32 pm

Young Camping Family wrote:On the subject of chemicals, has anyone tried that outdoor automatic sprayer one (Mortein/Raid)?

Ugh, no! I see ads for these things on TV, shooting out toxic substances at regular intervals. I keep away from anything toxic as best I can, even to the extent of pulling food plants out of the garden which are ailing rather than spray sick plants with some stuff and then eat the plant or fruit. Yecch.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby encorepi » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:10 am

However much you don't like chemicals near your skin, you will need to take fly spray camping. Use it before bed time to kill any mozzies in the tent that entered during the day. At least once inside the tent you will be free of mozzies.

There are natural alternatives to insect repellents that might make you feel nicer about the baby, also I have been told that vitamin B is a repellent, so take vitamin B often and you should come off better than if you didn't.

All the best.
encorepi
Boy Scout

Postby Young Camping Family » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:27 am

Don't get me wrong, I'll drown a spider in half a can of fly spray no problems (and then open the windows to let the spray out), but I don't want to use repellents on her skin at such a young age, which is why I thought if I could use something environmental it would be a bit safer.
I don't like the idea of the indoor automatic spray - think of all the chemicals you're inhaling - natural or not... but outdoors there's plenty of fresh air so you wouldn't be getting a concentrated hit.
Looks like I'll be taking a supply of mozzie coils :)
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Postby snake_dr » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:52 am

we have a kiddie's mozzie lotion that i guess is made of natural products, i'll see if i can find out what its called
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:58 am

Young Camping Family wrote:I was flicking through the Bunnings catalogue and came across a solar powered mosquito zapper

Don't waste your money YCF
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby slug » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:58 am

In relation to repellents i know that some could be classed as worse for you than others. The active ingredient in many of the "good" ones (the ones that work well at deterring insects and are recommended in many magazines etc) is DEET. It stands for diethyl something something, but some have concentrations of 80% others less so, the less % the shorter the time it lasts on your skin. Some research says this can have effects on health, not just the odd rash, insomnia i think i read was one.
slug
Captain Camping

Return to Gear Guide