The most remote spot you've been.

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

The most remote spot you've been.

Postby jollyroger » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:28 pm

I want to know the most remote spot you have been!
It can be camping or work (like me)!

To get the ball rolling and I hope you can beat it...read on.

I was sent by my work to Oak Valley. Now for those diving for the map most don't have it on there. As an exersise have a look if it's there.

It's 1288kms north west of Adelaide. Head for Maralinga and then about 300km north-west of there. It's is literally in the middle of nowhere.
It took two days of almost non-stop driving. We had three Troopies and half a million dollars of satellite dish with us too!

There you go - see if you can beat it or find on your map. For those interested it's where the aboriginal tribes from Maralinga were relocated after the atomic bombs were exploded! The land scape was like a horror movie. It was just grey and dead. The tribes around there call it the dead country and you can see why. You eyes did a turn once you saw green again. It was like being in a black and white TV.

Come on this should be a hoot! I need to know about other places in this amazing brown and red land.

:D
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby hilbilly » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:35 am

we have been to wonangatta station,wich is in the high country of vic. it is a lovely place isolated.also be prepared for snow falling any time of the year ,boxingday john
hilbilly

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:17 pm

Hmm, guess I can't beat that but I've been to Euabalong, Tullebegeal, Lake Cargellico. All within about 2hrs of condobolin and Griffith. I think Tullebigeal has a population of less than 100 :shock:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:33 pm

Somewhere inbetween Tennant Creek and Rabbit Flat in the Tanami Desert. Oddly enough I was picking up a guy who pushed his wheel barrow across the desert ... :roll:

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Just down the road

Postby nozzee » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:16 pm

Did stint as caretakers of Lornaglen Station out Wiluna way. Went up to Glenayle for project and up the Gibson. Just up the road from where you were.
nozzee

Re: The trail of tears

Postby nozzee » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:20 pm

You have been to Maralinga so do you know the story about The Trail of Tears.
nozzee

Postby jollyroger » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:00 pm

The Trail Of Tears...Never heard of it!

But I did meet an Aboriginal woman who is said to be in her late 90's. She and her family camped in the craters of the atomic bombs in winter (the ground was warm at night for over two years) she has survived all her children and husbands. She is fit a mallee bull-although a little slow due to her age.
Not all of us were allowed into what is left of Maralinga the township and blast sites. We did see photos of it though from those who came out.

We also spoke to pilots who flew through the clouds of the blasts and are very very ill now. One bloke said no one could come near his plane after flying through the cloud as the radiant heat was too intense. They had to sit in the plane for two hours until it cooled down.

It was a trip of a lifetime!
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Trail of tears

Postby nozzee » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:09 pm

Quick version. When the army went in to evacuate the people who lived in testing area they went into area with vehicles etc. Most of the countypeople had never seen a white man let along all sorts of vehicles. Many countrypeople were frightened at the site of army and took off into the desert never to return. There is a trail in the desert where every 5/10ks (not sure) is a container of water so that when countrypeople see the trail to where others are now living they can follow and have water for the journey.
nozzee

Postby Otto » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:53 am

Most remote was probably up to Louth.
Otto
Camping King

Postby amanda » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:44 pm

Where is Louth?
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Otto » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:03 pm

Louth is just southwest of Bourke in NSW
Otto
Camping King

Postby amanda » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:40 am

The most remote I've camped was in Botswana while doing a five day camping/kayaking trip down the Zambezi River. It was fabulous, though I was extremely conscious of all the hippos.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Nenie23 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm

We travelled to a place not too far out of the way but a lovely little town called Whitecliffs north of Wilcannia. It is a lovely little mining town with a school population of 9 students. It has 1 pub (a must for every town) a servo, a very small school with 1 teacher, and a post office and general store. The bread gets carted in once a week.

The people are beautiful and we have a lovely 3 days fossicking for opals. Met a lovely guy called "Dick" and he let us fossick on stuff he pulled up from his own mine.

Twas a great few days and I would recommend everyone to do the trip in there.
Be happy - take the family camping.
Nenie23
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:42 pm

I;'ve been to our outside toilet ... noone ever goes there after I have been ... :#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Onedodger » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:44 pm

Telfer Mine :beer

Lats n Longs 21'42.760S
122'13.802E ::() Thats Out there.

With an off road van on.
Boy do I love this second childhood.
Regards Dodg.
Onedodger
Boy Scout