Landor Races (WA)

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Landor Races (WA)

Postby kirsa » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:58 pm

Just thought I would share our last trip to the Landor Races held every year on Landor Station (approx 350km north west of Cue, WA). The campsite is along the Gasgoyne river, but no water this year, but apparently some years there has been a few water holes. There was a water hole near Mt Augustus (about 120km away), which was heaven the day it hit 45!!

This year about 700 people attended the 4 day race meet, which is a bit over the average numbers. The camps are really well set up, with bush toilets and showers heated by a donkey, water from a bore that is drinkable, and the regulars all have shed like camps that they make very comfortable.

We took a hired camper trailer and the other couple we went with had tents. We took drinking water, fuel and all our own food, but could buy ice, drinks, and fuel at the camp. Was really impressed with how well set up it is. A bush bar runs every day, there is a ball on the Saturday night, 2 days of racing and 2 days of Gymkanna events. For the local station owners and staff, its the social highlight of the year. They rope in volunteers when work needs to be done (like unloading trucks and doing a stint on the bar) but it was a fun way to meet people and get amongst it. For $40 per adult for the 4 days it was a bargain.

We are planning on making this a regular event. If anyone wants any more info I am happy to share it.

Cheers,
smile ... it makes people wonder what you are up to :-)
kirsa
Boy Scout

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:31 pm

What sort of races are held? :lol: Horse, car, camel.... goat? :shock: :armsup
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

races

Postby gqpatrol » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:44 pm

I'd say it's a NEIGH!!! :-bang
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:17 pm

Great report kirsa ... but where are the pics!?!?!?

:$

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby kirsa » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:20 pm

8) yep.. the neddies were the ones racing - although a few bar flies seemed to have their own race to see how much beer they could drink in an hour! It was HOT drinking weather.

The horses racing have to be station born and bred so they were hard and tough and wirey - just the sort that wont say die!!

Cheers

PS: Will work out this pic adding caper and see what I can do.
smile ... it makes people wonder what you are up to :-)
kirsa
Boy Scout

Return to Camping Tips and Locations